It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone, just wondering if this happens to anyone else and if so what to do. To preface I have read Dr. J's optimization suggestions and have tried them.

Once I put my film under my tongue, my mouth immediately seems to fill with excess saliva and I soon have a full "mouth wash" of suboxone. This is before the film can fully dissolve but I don't swallow the solution. I try and do everything I can to make sure my mouth is dry before applying it, but it happens no matter what I do. Open or closed, being spread around with tongue or not, etc...

Do you think I'm losing a lot of my Sub (again I don't swallow for 15min)? It's very obnoxious to have a full mouth of liquid and not being able to swallow. Anything I can do to prevent my mouth from filling up like this or is this more natural than I think?

I feel ridiculous even posting this but since it has also happened to me with my Clonazepam Orally Disintegrating Tablets, I'd like to have it stop.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:34 pm 

Oh Yes, .many if not all of us have had issue with the Subliva" problem..

It is a good question PPain. No question is a bad or foolish one here so no worries...

Well, you have read what Doc J has said. Good. You now know that the intire inside of your mouth can and does soak in the Buprenorphine.

Ther are three points to this. Time..Consentration of the med, ..and coverage area..

Start with the driest mouth possible. I have used a hair blow dryer in the past. Works well. I then put med under tougue and "paint" the med over and over and over for 15 to 20 mins. Keeping my chin downward.

I also use the tip of my tougue as I drop the film in while it is still in a pastie gel so to speak..

Everyone ks different i guess. I remember in my first days on Sub that the saliva was a problem so you are not alone.

Remember this, Buprenorphine is a very potent medicine. Your dose sublingualy tops out at 25 % so while it is important to get the most out of it your dose should hold and keep you as loug as your not just sollowing with in the first few mins...

Hope that helps alittle..

Razor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Glad I'm not the only one haha. It sounded ridiculous to even post but thank you so much for all the info. Since I am painting and not swallowing, I'm sure I'm not losing very much. I just woke up and put my strip right in and had a lot less "Subliva", so that's good.

Thank you so much!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also, note that Bunavail achieves 50% absorption by holding the buprenorphine against the inside of the cheek, up and out of the flow of saliva. You can duplicate that process to some extent by holding the film/tab between your tongue and the inside of your cheek--- depending on your 'tongue flexibility', anyway!

Speaking of absorption... I was invited to a training session for a new injectable buprenorphine product. Not sure if the FDA has approved it yet... Also, there is a product out there that doesn't release buprenorphine until it passes to the distal intestine-- avoiding first-pass metabolism by the liver. It is not yet approved, but it would be a form of buprenorphine that could be swallowed, like any other medication.

My concern is that if an injection appears on the market, the 'bupe-nuts' would insist that the other, 'diversionable' products be removed from the market. Not to put them down or anything, but they are such friggin' idiots....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the info Dr J! I was thinking about buccal administration before even posting this thread but was sure my mouth would fill the same and I'd lose even more that way by accidentally swallowing.

Anyways, I tried my last dose via buccal and used the way you described, by holding it there with my tongue and it worked so much better! It seemed like it took a little longer to dissolve but it was worth it.

EDIT: I'm going to throw another random question in here... how much time should there be between dosing Suboxone and using toothpaste/brushing? Can the toothpaste have an effect on Suboxone or cause a contraindication?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:40 am 

Hey PainP,

I used to have this issue a lot and I know there's been plenty of discussions on it here in the past. I used to take my sub pretty quick after I woke up in the morning, ya know when u wake up with the dry mouth lol? That's what I did and it did help me, of course I only dose once a day so that may not be a great suggestion since u dose more than once. It honestly does take a bit to get the routine down and get comfortable with dosing because in the beginning u usually are scared that ur not doing something right or losing some of the medicine. That's pretty normal. There was a person at my clinic that was complaining about not feeling better and having cravings all day long and after a month or two in counseling we started questioning them and come to find out, they were just swallowing the tablet (they were taking the tablet form). They completely ignored the part of the process of putting it under the tongue!! I don't know what went on during the induction lol but it was definitely weird. Always ask if u have a question is my point.

I brush my teeth about 25-30 min after taking my sub, but I'm not sure if that's recommended or what but it doesn't bother me so it obviously works enough. If u can drink after 15-20 min then I'm assuming brushing would be ok too. Good luck and remember, got any questions, someone will always be happy to answer ya :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for the reply! I'm getting the hang of it but yeah I think I have been obsessing a little too much about "am I taking this right" and such. I'm gonna start letting that go and just realize it's working because I can tell.

Also, good info on brushing teeth/toothpaste, as that was making me wonder too. I just gotta start living more natural and stop worrying so much :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:35 pm 

suboxdoc wrote:
Also, note that Bunavail achieves 50% absorption by holding the buprenorphine against the inside of the cheek, up and out of the flow of saliva. You can duplicate that process to some extent by holding the film/tab between your tongue and the inside of your cheek--- depending on your 'tongue flexibility', anyway!

Speaking of absorption... I was invited to a training session for a new injectable buprenorphine product. Not sure if the FDA has approved it yet... Also, there is a product out there that doesn't release buprenorphine until it passes to the distal intestine-- avoiding first-pass metabolism by the liver. It is not yet approved, but it would be a form of buprenorphine that could be swallowed, like any other medication.

My concern is that if an injection appears on the market, the 'bupe-nuts' would insist that the other, 'diversionable' products be removed from the market. Not to put them down or anything, but they are such friggin' idiots....

LOLOL!!! I cannot stop laughing!!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:25 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

brush your teeth ( brings the blood vessels to the surface or slightly irritates them) and apply it to the roof of your mouth and paint it a little at a time and see if that helps any. You could always smoke a joint and wait for the "cotton" mouth! lol But we all know we aren't allowed that technique! Hahaha!
Happy