It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Morphine wean update
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey all. I posted the other day regarding my frustration w my daughter's wean. She is 10 days old and has now been in the NICU on morphine 8 days. She started on .37 mg and decreased quickly; Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and again Wednesday, from .37 every 3 hours to 11 every 6 hours. After the last decrease and the spacing of her dose she began to struggle; crying inconsolably again, increased muscle tone, fast respiratory Tate, sneezing, not sleeping long enough after a feeding, and scoring 10 and higher. Last night her dose was increased by double up to .22 (where she was beginning of last week) and taken back to every 3 hours again. I was crushed!! We just went back days in the process and they feel like a waste! The doctor we spoke w this morning explained how much of this is a guess and how they won't know how she'll handle changes until they do them. He assured us that they would wait 36 to 48 hours before making any more changes to be sure we don't go any further backwards. I'm hoping that sometime tomorrow they can go down again (if only by 10%) because when I was there this evening she couldn't stay awake long enough to nurse or take her bottle. Her respiratory rate was -4-18 while sleeping and her eyes looked to roll back into her head. I feel like this dose is too high since she was on a lower dose for a few days. I'm trying to remain positive but it is so hard when all I want is for my baby to be home w me! I know she needs this to be better but it doesn't help when those feelings of guilt take over and I ache for her. To think I have to get through a whole new week and likely into another.. I don't know how to prepare myself for that. I don't know how to feel differently. It's prob the saddest I've ever been and while I know staying on my meds after finding out I was pregnant was the best thing to do, I know I never want to have another baby while on this medication again. I couldn't bear it.
Anyways I just wanted to rant a bit I guess.

Post subject: Re: Morphine wean update
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:20 am 

Hey brittanee im so sorry and my heart hurts for u but u will get through this process. I haven't been through it and I'm not going to pretend to have any clue about how ur feeling. I'm sorry more ppl haven't responded during this trying time for u, it's been a little slow here lately. Hopefully Dr Junig or docm2 will see ur thread, it would be great if u could get their input on everything going on with the constant morphine drops. Is it normal for the doctors to drop her dose so frequently, that just sounds like too much...... but I know nothing about it so it could be standard procedure. The baby not able to stay awake during feeding at times, is that normal?

It sounds hard as a mother to think about. What ur feeling has to be normal for any parent in this situation. Don't beat urself up and hang in there britt, this will pass. I know that's not very comforting but hopefully soon this will be just a memory.

Have u read through any of the other threads in this section from mothers that's went through the morphine weaning process? I think that would help u a lot to read their experience, maybe it'd help u just knowing ur not alone in this and others have been through it too. I think it could be very comforting for u. Britt any time u need to vent, come here. We're all here for u and I'm sure others will be along soon. Please keep us updated on ur sweet baby girl.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Jennjenn

Hey. Well from what the doc said Saturday when we spoke to him it's all just a guess when it comes to weaning these babies. The protocol I've found online says after 48 hours on the starting dose then to begin a wean decreasing by 10-20%. Following that initial 48 hours it only recommends waiting 24 hours between subsequent decreases. They went down on her initially after 36 hours but she was scoring 0s and 1s so I was ok w that. It really wasn't an issue until Wednesday when they went down LESS than 24 hours from the previous decrease ANSD they spaced her doses to every 6 hours all at the same time. That was what caused the issue for her. It was too much all at one time. The doctor did explain it all very well and assured us that now that they know she can't tolerate such a fast wean that they'll go more slowly. So Sunday, after 48 hours on the increased dose, they went down by 10% to .19mg and left it at every 3 hours. They said that most likely what they'll do or try to do is get her
down to lowest dose .05 and then begin spacing them out: trying every 4 hours and then 6 and then 8 and then 12 and then off to see if she is ok w it.
I'm hoping they'll be able to go somewhat slowly for her sake and something she can tolerate but not too slowly that it takes more than another couple weeks. Slowish but consistently if that makes sense
I do feel pretty good about her doctors and nurses and nurse practitioners and everyone has been berg supportive and encouraging and I've not felt an ounce of judgment from anyone... well except the lactation consultant... she pissed me off.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hopefully Dr Junig or docm2 will see ur thread

:? I haven't been in an NICU in 30 years except as a visitor. Each NICU has their own protocol and each practitioner seems to have their own variances within those protocols. I agree with continuing to breast feed and hang in there, two months from now this will be fading in the rear view mirror.