It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:24 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for your comments on "Morning." Will ask doc about my tremendous fatigue. I'm 51, thin, excellent physical shape, and I've been taking Suboxone 8 mg/ day for 3 months. In addition to too-deep sleep problems, I also have severe stiffness and muscle aches IN THE MORNING. Just turning over is a horror with painful swollen hands and feet. I hobble out of bed and feel beat up. Once I dose and move around, the stiffness diminishes, but hot spots of pain remain. This symptom pattern never changes and I didn't experience it before Suboxone. Any ideas? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good morning, Dr. K:

Your post sounded quite familiar to me, because I experience the same thing. I've been on Suboxone for over a year.

I attribute my morning pain and the fatigue to my fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue. Morning pain is quite typical of fibro.

I'm not a doc or expert, and have never heard this side effect from Suboxone before. But then again, I don't have the knowledge that many others on this site have.

If you have insurance, maybe it would be worth considering seeing a rheumatologist to rule out fibro and/or any other medical cause for your symptoms, just to be on the safe side.

Keep us posted, I'd like to hear how your doing and how this turns out. If you'd like to discuss the specifics of the morning pain, feel free to PM me.

Take care,
Melissa AKA Hatmaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:24 pm 
I have this exact thing going on as well. I started Suboxone at 16 mg a day about 4 months ago. As time went on, I started to become extremely stiff when I woke up in the morning, and now it hurts really bad to roll over in bed in the night. I'm stiff as a board for the first half hour every day. I take a lot of advil now. I never had anything like this before Suboxone. I'm not the only one on this site, I've heard a fair number of others who are experiencing symtoms like this. It is apparent to me that long-term treatment with Suboxone does this to some people. I just have no idea why. My doctor blew me off like I was making it up. If anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.
JD

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Muscle aches
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:20 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for all your replies. I spoke to my doc yesterday who theorized that I was going through withdrawal every night. He doubled my dose and BINGO the side effects disappeared. I feel so much better -- no more sweats or aches and I can get out of bed with no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So glad you're feeling better! That's in interesting theory on the part of your doctor - but hey, it appears to have worked for you.

I would be interested to hear what others think of this.

Hope you continue feeling better.

Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had this problem too and always attributed it to fibromyalgia - which I had before I got addicted to opiates and started suboxone. I would do better if I split my dose so I was taking a small dose at night.

Interestingly, after I stopped suboxone and got through the withdrawal period, this problem has pretty much resolved itself. I'm still a little stiff in the mornings, but nothing like I was before. Weird.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I too developed this problem when I started taking suboxone. I would wake up and my legs would be stiff and I couldn't move. I would move slowly and then get out of bed. On some occassions I would find my left arm would be asleep. I too brought this up to my doc and he just made a face and moved on. This side affect is tolerable versus the cravings and plus soon as I dosed within 15 minutes I would be fine. This of course makes me concerned as I know it will tough when I finally taper off this medicine. But for now I can only live for today and face that concern down the road....

Post subject: hmmm...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:28 pm 
I don't think it could be withdrawal for me because I always take both my 8 mg's at night, aroung 10 or 11 PM. So I couldn't be going into withdrawal by morning. This is just a mystery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Refering to Dr K's original post on this matter, after 3 months you would think even in the beginning if 8mg was not enough, the brain, suboxone and w/ds would have certinly found a so called median (happy place).. 3 months is a long time. This a little to interesting ??? Mike

Post subject: Hey Doc
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:41 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Could the SubOx doc step up and answer this question? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I too, have this problem. It seems to be intensifying as my weaning progresses. Fifteen minutes to a half hour after getting up it mostly disappears... but if I just stay in bed after waking and don't move around much, it continues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I must say I am quite grateful I didn't have any bothersome side effects on suboxone. But I wonder if it is because you sleep so deep that you don't move and it causes you to be achy???? stiff? arm sleeping could be sleeping too deep in a position cutting off the blood supply. I know when I was on suboxone I would often fall asleep at night and wake in the exact same position. Just a thought. An increase in dosage could be killing the pain or distracting from the feeling. I am no doc but I would find it interesting if someone was going through withdrawal at night on that level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have this problem also but the muscle stiffness is all day. It is spreading too. It started in my neck, moved down my upper back. Into my triceps and all the way to my lower back. I thought when it started, it was due to the neck syrgery I had a few months ago.

G

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I thought I was losing my mind when this started happening to me! Exactly as all of you have described. I literally have to pull myself to the edge of the mattress, dragging my body, with my arms in the morning. My back, legs, entire body is so incredibly stiff. I got really scared the first few times it happened. I really felt like I had rigormortis! Never had this problem before I started taking suboxone. I've been on a steady dose of 8 mgs per day for six months and I still have it! I don't know what could cause it and I've not mentioned it to my doctor yet because I thought he might think I'm a little nuts but now that I see it's so prevalent I will mention it at my next appointment and see what he says. I will share the info if it is interesting.

I wonder if it is withdrawal? I normally take my suboxone first thing in the morning so that would make sense. There were a few times that I've taken half at night but honestly I wasn't vigilent enough to see if those times I woke without the stiffness or not. It doesn't happen every single night, but I'd say about 80% of each morning I wake up in pretty decent to full on rigor and I'm unable to move for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When i first started taking suboxone, id wake up feeling great in the morning... I thought it was terrific.. I used to wake up in wothdrawls or couldnt sleep thru the night because my body felt the lack of oxys.
When i took suboxone i would wake up feeling rested and ready to go:
Nowadays i wake up and feel like death:
I think its because i developed a tOlerance over the years and im waking up in mild wds becuse as soon as i take it; and it kicks in , all that stuff goes away, the heavy headaches and haziness the achiness and heavy feeling. Maybe its just ur blood concentration levels go way down during sleep.
Ive noticed if i take a nap during the day, say an hour or so, my dose seems ineffective when i wake up. I think i just metabolize it faster during sleep:
I also have a toddler... Maybe its just normal tiredness... I really cant tell anymore... Its like i messed my body up for life.
Id love to feel how i felt before i ever knew what opiods were..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amen to this. Probably the most frustrating thing since I've started (about 3 weeks ago)
I work a really physical job so muscle and joint aches aren't unusual, but the extreme pain and stiffness in the morning is not cool.
Either I still need to go up (been on 24 these last 5 days) or this is just an unpleasant side effect. I can't take ibproufen or NSAIDS as I have abused codeine with ibproufen in the past and my tummy shouldn't really deal with any more now.

After hobbling around for a few minutes I feel better, but after sitting down for longer than 20 mins it's back when I get up.

I have also developed carpal tunnel since I have been on subs, waking up with completely numb hands and sore wrists that I bandage through the day with occasional tingly numbness in my hands that I deal with all day.

Anyone know of something to help with aches that isn't an NSAID or paracetamol (acetaminophen)? I find a hot shower if I'm aching is helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

^^
I dont know why but tea helps with the aches and stiffness, herbal or green. My favorite is excederin. Its acetaminophen/ caffeine/ asprin all in one. Helps the head fuzziness but for somebody with a sensitivity to nsaids or acetaminophen, its not the best option.
I also have the swollen hands and fingers. My pinky goes numb or tingles or both. Sometimes the whole side of my hand.
By far the best thing is a shower in the am and in the pm. It can be a hassle if ur on a time limmit or just tired but it really does help soothe the body.
Ive also invested in shampoos,lotions and body washes that have a menthol ingredient in them. Usually labeled "refresh" or something. U apply it and it gives a icy sensation for a good hour afterward. It feels great to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ok, so this has been happening to me also! About a week after I started sub, I take 4mg a day, in the am. I wake up so stiff, elbow joints, legs and feet, and sometimes numbness. It literally hurts to move for the first hour after I wake up. I walk like a 90 year old and I'm 37. It goes away after I move around a bit, and it's a side effect I will deal with rather than the cravings...I just want to know that it's a side effect of suboxone and that's all. I was recently tested for autoimmune diseases and the tests were negative. Anyone?
Thanks, Maya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I too experience this achy debilitating stiffness in the mornings, and have carpal tunnel in one hand (the other was relieved a few years back) that has been aggravated since I started a larger constant(prescribed) dose. Before I got in to see the Dr. Im at now I would take extremely small amounts of suboxone to get sound sleep(.5) and stave off wds. I never really noticed these problems. (There are several other drugs when taken in excess that cause this problem for me also.) I have been to see only 2 Drs for suboxone (have seen street Drs for the stuff for years). The amount they prescribed was much more than I had been taking on my own. Thats when I started to notice these symptoms. The first time I was prescribed suboxone I thought nothing of it. I thought my body was just taking its time getting rid of the toxins from the heroine and large amounts of morphine I had been injecting. I also thought this might be what was aggravating my carpal tunnel. After finding this thread I now realize this isnt so, because I have been prescribed once again starting in the end of Jan. These symptoms are back full force. I have needed my carpal tunnel brace ever since I started taking the full 8mg daily(before I used to only wear the brace at night). At a smaller dose I barely dealt with the carpal tunnel at all, or to say that it wasnt inflamed like it is now. Motrin helps with the swelling, but I wonder if there are vitamins other than my usual multi-v or dietary changes that can be made to relieve some of this achiness and carpal tunnel pain.....I am lowering my dose, as low as I can tolerate and supeing it back up several days before my next apt./uds in hopes of not being caught (yay! stash!). I will take my "stash" to the Dr. in case I get caught up as someone here suggested and will report back to this thread if lowering the dose helps with the carpal tunnel and the frankenstein walk I have to do every day. Who wants to be my experiment buddy? maya?....lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I really want to go back down to 3mg (and maybe eventually 2mg)...I'm on 4mg now.....I wonder if I can just go to 3 without weaning? I also jerk and shake a lot in my sleep, which is getting annoying. I know sub has saved my life and other than these effects I feel good and like my old self again. I just wonder if I can lower my dose to 3mg and be ok?