It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: No more Tramadol
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In light of Independence Day I thought I'd visit here and post that I'm no longer taking low dose tramadol. I went down to 50 mg/day (from 100) and just stopped taking it. I had one a day (day 2) that I pretty much spent on the couch with an upset stomach and sneezing all day, and that was about it. Now I'm back on the antidepressant Trintillex (vortioxetine), and I continue to take 0.5mg clonazepam/day.

I've been running a weekly MAT group at a correctional/treatment facility, and I'm soon to start working there full time instead of the Methadone clinic (the caseload and long hours were killing me).

I want to thank all of you for your kind words and support over the years. Life is good.

Blessings,
Lilly

Off 16mg Suboxone since February 2013

Post subject: Re: No more Tramadol
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:46 am 

Hi Lilly, Happy July Fourth! That is wonderful news! You may remember that my story is that tramadol is how I got here. I was at a point where I was taking 40 to 50, 50mg tabs per day! I have now weaned myself down to 4mgs of suboxone per day. I look forward to the day that I have weaned myself off although, I have no plan for when that will be and that is ok for today. Glad to hear that you are doing so well! Enjoy the holiday!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Michelle - I do remember, and I appreciate that you continue to warn people on the forum that tramadol is not as benign as some think it is. Back when I was using I would chew 2 of the 200mg extended release Ultrams at a time - so I know where you're coming from. Good for you on your successful recovery! And I would agree that if Suboxone works for you there's no hurry to come off, if at all. Thanks for all you do supporting people here on the forum. Happy fourth!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:36 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Lilly - I haven't got the chance to know you yet but I do know that what you accomplished is no small feat. I think a lot of people assume that if it's not as strong as hydrocodone, it can't be that dangerous. Simply not true. As we know it's much more about tolerance and frankly our brains don't care what kind of opiate we give it as long as there is *enough* of it to satisfy our cravings. You were taking quite a bit and to work yourself down had to have been rough. Well congratulations, you deserve to feel really good about yourself. I hope you also have a wonderful 4th!!

- OM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:30 pm 

Hi Lilly, and so good to see your name here again. Congrats on being off Suboxone for so long now. And even better that you've been able to put the Tramadol behind you.

A great topic subject for discussion! Way back when, my doctor would tell me that Ultram's were not addicting and I'd try to change his mind. Funny how some GP's won't listen to what their patients are telling them. Well, now they know for sure when they bumped it up to a schedule III. Or is it a II? Not sure and it's an easy question to answer.

Like Michelle, I too was taking too many. Not as many has she did but it was a good part of my opiate abuse. Maybe 10-16 pills a day. The Suboxone worked great for that along with my Hydro habit and a few other extra drugs. Some people swear that Tramadol doesn't do anything for them. At least they're free from being addicted to it. I have some older neighbors that take it because Vicodin is too strong for them. They say it works great at killing pain. Too bad it was a drug that was very easy to abuse.

Happy 4th to You and enjoy the day off if you got it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks guys

OpenMind - just to clarify, I only came off of (1) 100mg tablet/day (prescribed). When I was talking about chewing 400mg at a time, that was back during my active addiction- before Suboxone.

Rule - great to see you still here, and giving lots of support to people. I totally agree - I remember telling my GP I was in WD from tramadol and he said it wasn't possible. Then he diagnosed me with IBS! Thank God I knew better. I think it is CIII now.

It's great to see everybody still here. I'll have to check in more often. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Congrats Lilyval! Hope it keeps getting better. I haven't followed all of your threads, so was curious about the tramadol. Were you taking it for pain, and taking with Suboxone? Are you still on Suboxone?
Did you have problems abusing the tramadol, is that why you decided to come off? Are you now taking anything else for pain or is that what the Trintellix is for? How well does that work?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious. I'm dealing with chronic pain and trying to find something to help. Suboxone on its own was working great for a few months but I'm now having increased pain and I'm trying to find something I can take that will help. I was taking tramadol while in active addiction, although, not my doc. It was prescribed for pain and I took it for pain. I would take a few extras and may run out a few days early, but never felt obsession/compulsion with it. I don't think my doctor would prescribe tramadol, and I probably shouldn't be on it, but I did take it pretty much as prescribed as opposed to all the other full opioids.

Michelle, that is a lot of tramadol that you were taking! And I'm sure that there are many more people with stories like yours, and it is overlooked a lot. It's great that you bring attention to it. Did you ever have seizures or serotonin syndrome with that amount of tramadol? (If you don't mind me asking) I was always worried about having seizures while taking tramadol and I never took nearly that much. Anyways, glad you found your way to Suboxone and recovery :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there Lillyval,

Good to see you here and really happy to hear how well you are doing. I still remember and appreciate all the advice and support you gave me.

I remember when I caught my right leg between my chair & my bed with the motor on. I went to the ER and told the doctor I was on Suboxone. he said "I will give you Tramadol. It's safe to take with Suboxone and non-addictive" It did relieve my pain(I had an ugly gash). I don't know if I didn't take it long enough to depend on it or maybe I'm just "one of those people". Anyway, as you know, the leg is gone now anyway.

I'm so happy to hear you are no longer on Subs. Good for you!!!!!

Keep in touch. Sending a big hug.

Love, Queenie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Lillyval wrote:
OpenMind - just to clarify, I only came off of (1) 100mg tablet/day (prescribed). When I was talking about chewing 400mg at a time, that was back during my active addiction- before Suboxone.

Okay, I got you. Kind of threw me off at first. I was told by my neighbor next door that takes it that 400mg a day is supposed to be the limit. So when you mention that you used to do 400mg at a time, well that sounds like a healthy (or not so healthy) habit. I'm glad you're doing better and congrats on being off the sub!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:22 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Tragicom wrote:
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious. I'm dealing with chronic pain and trying to find something to help. Suboxone on its own was working great for a few months but I'm now having increased pain and I'm trying to find something I can take that will help.
:D

T do you have nerve pain? If so, I've had Gabapentin prescribed for it. It worked really well for me. Unfortunately I gained 15 lbs in 5 months on it so that just had to go. I do plan on using it when I'm on a very very low dose or after my jump. HTH!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great to see you here Queenie! - you are truly an inspiration

Tragicom - to answer a couple of your questions: I've been off of Suboxone for 4 years now, so I've never taken tramadol with Sub. I know some folks, like Queenie said above, have used the two together. My guess is that the Sub blocks the opiate effect, but tramadol has other modes of action for analgesia. The Trintillex is an antidepressant- so not taking that for pain. I know many people get relief from gabapentin. Also, I just heard a story on NPR where they tested yoga (only once a week, I think) against physical therapy for back pain,and the yoga was more effective. So keep non-medication options in mind, too. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Awesome to see a forum old timer kicking on strong post-Suboxone, who still drops in from time to time. You're an inspiration Lillyval.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi LOTV! Congratulations on your new job at the correctional/ treatment facility. Sounds like it will be a better fit for you instead of the Methadone clinic. Also well done coming off the Tramadol. I hope the new meds your own helps with your depression and all. It was nice to hear from you. Your forum friend, Bamagirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Is it a male / female or mixed facility Lillyval?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's a mixed facility. My job is 95% working with males (who are the vast majority). My MAT group however is 50/50.

Bamagirl your post made me smile :) I think you're the first one ever who "got" my name.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:06 pm 

I never commented on it before, but I've always assumed your name referenced Lily of the Valley. :)

I was born in May and Lily of the Valley is the May Birth Flower, so I've always loved it. Do you have a May birthday?

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:42 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Lillyval - I have often wondered if that's where you got your name from. A friend of mine has a medium sized tattoo of the flowers on her right calf muscle and ankle. It's really pretty. It's also the kind of flowers that made up Kate Middleton's bridal bouquet. Here's an article with some great close up pictures - http://thebeautybridal.com/2411/the-roy ... uquet.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:48 am 

Hi Tragicom, Sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I never had a seizure. I would get those weird electrical zaps when going through withdrawl. I am a big woman so I think that caused me to require more to feel a buzz. I am really happy that more and more medical personnel are becoming aware of how serious tramadol is! Have a good day!