It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey guys.

I've noticed this more and more over the course of my treatment. I seem to be much more sensitive to cold weather and cold water on Suboxone than I was in the period I was clean off all opioids?

A couple of examples. This weekend I went up north to visit the same city that I spent my clean time off all opioids in (20 months overall). I used to swim at the beach there literally every day, in winter as well (in a wetsuit). That was back when I was doing the 12-step shuffle, no opioid replacement.

When I arrived back there first thing I did was went to the beach with my girl. The weather was warm and sunny, and there were lots of other people in the water. My girlfriend had no issues, but I found the water really cold. I struggled to get in, and I'm normally the kinda guy that just runs in and dives into the waves even on the coldest coast of my country. When I finally got my head under, I only stayed in there a couple of minutes as I was shaking. My girl thought I was crazy.

We both paid nearly $200 to swim with wild dolphins in the open sea the next day. We had wetsuits, and we had to go into a net at the bow of the catamaran until the dolphins came to play, drop down and snorkel around holding onto a rope. I was freezing my arse off on the boat anyway - I had massive gooseflesh - but when I was in that net and the water was splashing up, I was so cold I had to pull out and miss my turn. Unfortunately the dolphins weren't playing that day anyway, so it was all a disappointment all round.

I had similar issues feeling the cold diving the barrier reef, in water that's virtually tropical warm. After we came up to the diving boat, I was shivering and people thought I was crazy or soft because the water was really warm to them. By the 3rd dive I was shivering underwater, which by diving rules means you need to ascend and stop the dive, so my last dive was cut short because of it.

I'm starting to turn off the idea of swimming / snorkelling / diving the ocean because the chills make it a lot harder to enjoy the moment.

The weird thing is, I'm fairly sure it's a sensory / brain thing. I've always been more sensitive to cold while withdrawing (Iwe all know about that). Is it possible that the partial agonist / antagonist'ness of buprenorphine might be making me more sensitive in this department?

I dunno. There are some little annoyances around the edges with Sub treatment at the moment. But then again, if I was still using, I wouldn't be swimming anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hear ya tear.............

I even brought it up with my doctor a few months ago.......

when I was using, I was always, always sweating profusely and HOT. ALWAYS. until the withdrawls of course. then I had the standard on and off cold sweats, moments of intense burning ETC.

NOW, I sleep in sweat pants, and a hoody, under a down blanket. My husband sleeps in shorts. LOL

so, I bring it up to the doctor, and he said, Ive been a bit anemic (low iron) since I began seeing him, which Ive actually struggled with my ENTIRE life, so when Iexplain that he says

'everyones different'
I tell him how I used to sweat and be hot all the time, and now I can never seem to be warm enough. He said he's heard the exact opposite from other patients.
I remember during my induction, that the NON sweat I had was the FIRST thing I noticed.
to this day when I look back at old pictures, I always have a sweat ring around the top of my tshirt or drops of sweat on my forehead.............wonderfully attractive it musta been. :roll:

Anyways, I ALMOST posted about this a few times, but figured by my dr's reaction I was probly the only one.

I did some swimming last year at the local lakes, but I did notice my head under water was more uncomfortable than anything else, I mean cuz the water was pretty cold.
and I had a hard time getting warm after.

when Im working and have to do things outside, in the RAIN, it seems like once I get the 'chatters' or shivers, I cant get it to go away no matter what!!! as soon as I get hom the heats on 98 adn Im under my blanky.
I even wear two pairs of socks, almost DAILY, and whenever the temps gonna be 35 or under, I wear pajamas under my jeans when I go to work. I even have extra sweatshirts in the car, cuz I wear TWO hooded sweatshirts some times.

the key seems to be not to get to the point of shivering.......like if I can KEEP warm, it isnt so bad

what a relief to know somebody else is experiencing this

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I always thought it was just me...but notice like, sometimes in the mornings when I get out of bed, I'll be cold and takes a bit to get warm. NOTHING compared to the cold / hot / cold experienced during withdrawals though...that was just AWFUL.

I remember when I was due to start my Suboxone for the first time ever, I was 8 hours away from my induction..and I got into a shower and scalded myself with hot water -- not out of stupidity, no...but because my body was SO COLD that I could NOT tell the water was over 120 degrees...when I got out of the shower, my back began to sweat as soon as I dried off from the heat that I had built up in my body while in the shower.

I've heard this can cause some health problems like, with your heartbeat...but at the time, I was only thinking about one thing: "I'm going to freeze to death if I don't get warm"...and that was all I could focus on.

Now I am not anywhere near that now, with Suboxone..but I do sometimes wake up and have some chills until I get that first cup'o'coffee...but for the most part, I'm normal with body temp and all. I've always been one to love being under the blankets/covers at night. Maybe it's from SO many years of sleeping with my wife next to me, and being used to sleeping with someone..but I love that feeling of warmth, having someone to wrap up with in the cold winter nights ...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One of the most difficult detox experiences I had was coming straight off about 6mg of Suboxone. That, coming off methadone and my accidental rapid-detox were the three real nasty ones that stood out. I was so sensitive to temperature differences that I dreaded going into different rooms because of the temperature difference and worried it might be colder. The difference between being in the shade felt like being in the snow. That was a hospital detox too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

yeah im definetly feeling this.. i never really used to mind the cold, but this winter(aprox 6 months after startin sub) I have been feeling super cold and its been a pretty mild winter, a week of -10 to -20 Celsius rest around 0(32 F)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:21 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am on day 6 back on the subs (thank god for that) and I find that I wake up freezing cold in the morning. It's a different kind of cold though...rapid heart beat, gooseflesh for the most part. The weird thing is, if I jump out of bed and get moving, i'm fine...IMO its psychological physical wd, but maybe it's legit as I do have a fast metabolism with drugs. I find myself having my morning dose ready next to my bed so that I can pop it under my tounge and literally feel myself warm up almost instantly. Reading these other responses is interesting because I thought I was the only one who noticed this...does is tend to go away in time? Are all of us experiencing this on a lower dose maybe? Im curious, I am going to look into this with my dr. For my monday appt. One more thing. I was listening to music the last few nights and when a real deep or just awesome part would come up I would get that same gooseflesh, chills, cold hands thing...i can't really explain it...anyone else experience this?? Haha it sounds a little crazy but...maybe i'm just emotional w music or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Not crazy. Just human. Good to have you back stillprodigy!

I agree with the morning thing. I've recently done a 2mg dose reduction, and when I'm in bed in the morning I do feel the aches a fair bit and toss and turn. But once I'm out of bed for a few minutes it's as if that feeling goes, and I can go a few more hours before my morning dose? Who knows.

With the music thing. I always found in withdrawal that I was more sensitive to powerful moments in movies, music, stories, whatever. I'd well up and get teary really easy. And if I was really sick, I'd just cry over anything. And that's from someone who cries to rarely it's unhealthy. Maybe there's some link there for you?

Maybe you haven't stabilised yet and your sub dose is still leaving some low level withdrawals that leave you more sensitive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am experiencing being COLD. I HATE being cold. I have my heat on ALL THE TIME. Elec. bill is about as much as the damn doc visits & sub perscription combined... DAMN COLD! However during the first few weeks after induction, I would break out into these dripping sweats. I know when I took a bigger dose of sub, I would sweat. Now just friggen COLD AS HECK!
Small price to pay for being near clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks TJ good to be back. Ya I am just gona chalk it up to lingering wd for now but It could be an emotional thing IDK..it happens pretty often but as u say it passes pretty quickly. If this is a side affect though, I will deal. Beats the hell out of using.

Post subject: Frozen in the shower
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am becoming more and more overly sensitive to temperature change. Taking a shower is frightful! I just become so pensive about going in and out especially when it is cold out. If I am working outside and it is cold, I can hardly stand the temperature change when I go back into a warm house. As race car driver, it can get up 140 degrees inside the car for extended periods. Then I come out after a race and I will feel as if I am becoming hypothermic even if it is 80 degrees. It is a tough situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have experienced the same thing with the shower. I used to shower in the morning, but its just too damn cold. Now I shower at night, and still drag the space heater in there, and full blast it for twenty mins, then 'brave' it.
leaving it on until I have my PJs on.
Ive already posted in this thread, that I then sleep in a hooded sweatshirt and sweatpants. and Ive worn two pairs of socks every day this winter, same at night when I sleep.
but, I am warm.
its funny, cuz my three yr old sleeps right next to me, in just his pull-up..... :roll:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:10 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That's funny with the heater in the shower, i do the exact same thing. I'm in sunny central CA and it can be 78 and sunny (like it is everyday) but I still drive with my heater on and at least a long sleeve shirt. I won't even go outside for a cig even if I reall want one just to avoid the cold!! I do hope that this too shall pass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have the opposite effect. But I've only been on sub for 4 days, so maybe that's why. But I noticed the very first day that I am always hot. I usually sleep in a long sleeve shirt under the covers all night, with the heater on 70 degrees. And the first night on sub I was layin in bed sweating, and had to get up and put a t-shirt on and turn the heater down a few degrees...AND I slept on top of the covers...I never do that! And then every day since, when I go outside to smoke a cig, by bf always comments on how cold it is and I am out there without a jacket and don't even really feel the cold, and I am usually the one complaining about it. Maybe it will change the longer I am on subs??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

i know when i took more sub than i needed I'd feel SUPER HOT
like opiate high HOT.....

but now im just FREEZING I used to love the cold... I'm just like my mom now, always freezing.....

I hope sub didn't mess up my thyroid or something similar.. cause my mom has a thyroid condition..
When I say freezing I mean my feet, hands arms etc. my core is usually warm, but hands/feet are SO COLD...

I was able to wear the same sweater last winter(while sober, I had CT'd for a while, started using again around newyears) around 32, to 20F, this winter(on sub) I have to double jacket, or jacket, light jacket long sleeve just to be comfortable outside...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:50 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I defiantly feel a lot of this. When it's cold, it's pretty damn cold! I dread walking out of the shower, even right after I've taken my sub, just because of the extreme temperature fluctuation. Or when it's rainy and windy outside, it feels like the cold runs straight through to your bones and chills ya!

It's so weird that this happens though. Being an opiate and all you'd think it would carry at least some of that same warmth and body heat along with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

That's exactly how I feel I'm going to discuss this with my doc today
I'm on my way to see him now