It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What I would have DONE for someone like you!!!! I played the vicodin game for 2 years before I finally figured out suboxone existed. That game doesn't work. Tried and failed countless times.

I hope he is being honest and I certainly hope he can get on this forum, take the suboxone when he is in withdrawal so he doesn't GO into withdrawal, and I hope he can find a doc to help him. It seems many docs have figured out the cash cow here. And suboxone treatment IS a cash cow. The first step is finding anyone he can afford who will prescribe it. THEN it is about finding the right doc. So for now...just take whatever you can get and the IMMEDIATELY help him assess if this is the right doc. That will be a different post I am sure. But he has to take it right or he will become disillusioned (sp?) with the whole thing. Just my two cents.

Can I just say again what I would have done for a friend like YOU!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Can I just say again what I would have done for a friend like YOU!

I'd take a bullet for him. This is the least I can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've had an idea. I started a thread with the following intro;

Quote:
I've started this topic solely to collect the wisdom of people who've "been there" for my friend to read. I will not post here. If you've read my intro thread;

My Intro Thread

...then I'd very much appreciate anyone who's been through this posting a brief intro, like "Hi, I'm (X) and I did (Y) for (Z) years...", followed by what you'd say to my friend if you were face to face with him (trying not to get overly preachy, which I suspect would turn him off.) Once this thread dies down a little, I'll print it off and have him read it. I have no clue in the world if it will make a damned bit of difference, but it seems like a good idea to me. But then, hell - what do I know? I'm sober...

Here's a link...

Wanted: Wisdom

If you have a moment, please contribute. Thanks.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Progress
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I caught up with him at random this evening at the home of a mutual friend. Soon after we began talking, he started talking about quitting again, and I began telling him about all the things I've learned here. Within ten minutes, we were at my office, on my computer, signing him up at naabt to be matched with a doctor. I set him up an email account which I'll check for him (he really has zero net access just now,) registered him, printed off a list of doctors for his mom to start calling, and while that happens, we'll wait to see what the email brings.

After that, I had him read some of the posts in this thread. He told me he actually feels hopeful for the first time in a long time. I'm hopeful too, but guardedly. I know full well that every day will be a struggle for him until we can get him proper treatment. This could all go south very quickly. Fingers are crossed.

I THANK ALL OF YOU SO F*ING MUCH I CAN'T EVEN SAY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great, Xeno! That sounds really promising and I'm so glad to hear it. I saw your other thread and I plan on adding to it so you can give it to him at a later date.

Keep us posted. Oh, and good job - give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: 1st reply
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This response arrived within hours. How does it sound to you all? Any red flags in here?

Quote:
Hello. I reviewed your application on Naabt.org and would like to speak with you about your treatment.Please call my office BETWEEN 1 P.M. AND 5 P.M.WEEKDAYS(no one here mornings or weekends,these calls will not be returned)to further discuss your treatment and mention that you received this email through NAABT.org.I no longer accept straight Medicaid or patients who have Medicaid (that is self-pay Medicaid). A Medicaid HMO is acceptable(not UHB) but you would have to change physician to me. Counseling is mandatory. You must call yourself and not have someone call on your behalf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:58 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sounds like it's a 'CASH" operation only. That's pretty common. I see no red flags for a 'call', but I think your friend should sit down with you and line out questions for this call (since he has to make them himself).

It's all about his medicaid (which the doc doesn't take). How much up front (intake), ongoing frequency of visits (how much), expected costs of medications (generic) - and any other expected expenses with his limited income.

Don't get DISCOURAGED! I had to wait a week for an e-mail reply. I found a family clinic that charged overall about 1/4 the amount. What a blessing!

Good luck - knowledge is good - and if you have options, it never hurts to check them out. If this person is reasonable for the $$, I see NOTHING to set off red lights - it's all standard info.

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:51 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks, LatheDude. It does.

My concern at this point is that he won't have any money till next month. Even at that, he only gets $800/mo in disability. He really needs good coverage for this plan to work, I think. I realize that even if he had to spend a sizable chunk of his income on this, it's cheaper and better than scouring the streets for what he needs. Still, he'll have living expenses. I need to learn a lot more about Medicaid, I think.

Post subject: Psychiatric ?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Xeno -

It just occurred to me. Since your friend is on 'assistance' for a disability - does he have any 'already in the loop' doctors that work though medicaid? Often disability and psychiatry are together.

The reason I ask, is if he has any doctor now - that is paid through medicaid, then you can start there by asking if they can prescribe suboxone or subutex (subutex does not have any naloxone - to help avoid IV abuse).

Anyway, just a question. If no established doctor, you are doing the best I can think of! Way TO GO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

He does have a doctor. I'm not sure of the details. He once told me this doctor was aware of his drug use. I find this a little hard to believe. I would think that if that was the case, and the doc could prescribe suboxone, then he would already have explored this. I'll ask when I see him next.

I know there have been psychiatrists involved. I think that many years ago there was a schizophrenia diagnosis, but for all I know that could say more about the doctor than him. He's very lucid, and quite bright. I can honestly say, however, that he does manifest some of the negative symptoms. Anhedonia. Feelings of dissociation. I'll try to find out more.

Post subject: The Big Score!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[align=center]SUCCESS!!![/align]

Trying to cover all the bases, I had my friend's mom call his primary for a referral should it be necessary. As it turns out, one of the first suboxone doctors I called, here in our home town, works out of the same office as the primary. They said that even though this suboxone doc isn't currently accepting new patients (which is the story I was given when I called,) since she works with the primary, she'd treat him! This office already has his medicaid info, so there's no paperwork to do there. The office is even walking distance on a nice, spring day. He's set!!!! I'm THRILLED and I have ALL OF YOU TO THANK!!!

But I sense the work is only beginning...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Xeno, that is truly great news. Finding a doc, dealing with Medicaid issues, etc., is a huge first step that he (and you) just hurdled. I'm curious, how involved was he with making that happen? And now that a doctor will take him without any major money issues and it has become "real", is he still on board? I hope so.

Keep keeping us posted. Yes, good news, indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'll see him to talk to him sometime later today. For now, all I know is that he had to go to some office to fill out forms, and he had to make a phone call himself. I think he's actually making an effort. I'll have more info later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am so glad you found someone. I swear that NONE of them are "taking patients" or they all have "20 people on the waiting list" and then when you sound desperate or give them some reason to believe this is a patient they need to take, they are all freed up. This is what happened to me when I called my current doc. They had 20 people on the waiting list and I said I needed it for pain but a 20 person list seemed like a REALLY long wait. They had the doc call me back that same day and I was taken as a patient in less than a week.

I suspect they get a LOT of phone calls for this and weed them out a bit.

Congrats to you for finding a doc. If he is starting to participate in this process, then that is a good sign. I also hope at some point he understands how hard it was to find a doc. Once on suboxone he needs that incentive not to relapse and follow instruction knowing he may not find another given his financial situation. I hope all is affordable and he does well. Let us know.

Even when I have nothing to contribute I am still reading your posts and still pulling for him so I want the updates :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jackcrack: If you are able to get Suboxone prescribed for pain, you do not count as one of the 100 available slots that Suboxone doctors can have. With you not currently being in active addiction or actively using also may help them keep you off of the 100 list (along with using it for pain). It could very well be these things that got you in.

Unfortunately, this stupid 100 patients rule is very honestly keeping all sorts of patients from getting the help and treatment that they so desperately need. I think there is a very good reason why doctors all over the country are claiming to have a waiting list of patients - it's because they do. This law needs to be changed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Don, you're so right, this law needs to be changed. Too many people are being postponed or denied treatment because of it.

I don't know the whole process by which the 100-limit came into play, but wasn't suboxone approved thru the US congress? Forgive my ignorance if I'm way off. I'm just thinking maybe we need to start contacting our elected officials and actually take action to get this law changed.

I'll try to do some research and post a new topic if I find anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I posted a new topic at: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=8749#8749

It's regarding trying to change the law for the 100-patient limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am positive they still have me listed on the sub for addiction because even the sub doctor was a little leary about prescribing it for pain only. She worded things in an interesting way in the notes and put down that I wanted back on it to maintain sobriety AND for pain control.

Now that I think twice however, you are right. She may be considering me on it for pain and not including me in the 100, but may be treating me as though I was on it for addiction only just to cover herself in case the DEA complained about it. That way she could say I was still clearly well taken care of, but it was off label for pain. I suppose I may never know. Good point!

In terms of the 100 patient limit, what IS a reasonable number of patients? I mean, 100 patients at 30 min. appointments each every month is about 50 hours of time. Most docs have other patients too. So what is the 100 patient limit intended for? What are they trying to prevent? I realize the chart note requirements and whatnot are pretty extensive if they want to do a good job so a lot of appointments are up to an hour. How else would they go about protecting the patients so doctors don't just take on a million of us, spend 5 minutes, and then process us through without really caring about where we are at (like my last doc who only talked about himself during my hour appointments :roll: )?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Personally I think the 100-patient limit is our legislators being cautious. This is the first time treating opiate dependence with an opiate in an office-based setting. I think they're trying to assert control. No other doctors are limited to the number of patients they can see, are they? I think the limit should be increased or eradicated altogether.

But that's just my opinion and maybe I'm being paranoid. LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:36 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wouldn't it be because they think they're preventing it from becoming a drug of abuse? I can see criminal doctors padding their books and selling it on the street. Things like this happen all the time. Of course, it's on the street already. In fact, if it wasn't I'd never have heard of it!!