It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:48 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

First things first, don't be scared. It's not an addiction to a chemical substance or drug! I know right? Phewww. Anyway, it's been 1.5 months since I took an opiate. I am doing GREAT. Life has been getting BETTER AND BETTER, and I'll let you in on something as to why it's been getting better further down the post!

Two weeks ago, I saw my doc again. I made a post about how I was lowered from 16mg to 12mg and am doing incredibly on that dose. Well, since then I've decided to try an even LOWER dose than I'm prescribed. I did this because one day I had forgot to take my suboxone, and it was about 24 hours since my last dose. I was at work where dosing is very inconvenient since I'm required to be talking 99% of the time. I answer phones and help customers. I simply cannot avoid taking a call because I have suboxone under my tongue. Well because of this, in stead of taking 12 mg and having to sit and let 1.5 tablets dissolve under my tongue, I decided to take just 4mg due to the fact it will dissolve much faster. And it did. Let me just say that even after those 24 hours, I was not having any withdrawal symptoms! The first few weeks I've treatment I would always get what I thought would be withdrawals just before 24 hours if I had not taken another suboxone ie: forgot or something like that. Well, truth be told, I felt no difference in opiate effect from 12mg to 4mg. 4mg made me A-OK for 24 hours! I did not dose again that day. This got me thinking to lower my dosage and test the waters. However, in stead of jumping from 12 to 4, I decided to just take one 8mg tablet a day, from that point on. I didn't want to jump 8mg that quick, even if the 4mg dose was perfectly ok for me. I've been on 8mg a day since then and dosing once every 24 hours, instead of twice a day. I no longer get those phantom withdrawals. In fact, I never start to get into withdrawal before I take my next dose 24 hours. That makes me very happy.

I am going to inform my doctor of this next time I see him, and suggest we "officially" lower the dose to 8mg/day from 12. Then I'm gonna see how he feels about seeing me again in 2 weeks, rather than one month, and lower to 4mg a day and go from there. I'm thinking he will do that, but anyway..onto the next part of my post.

Life has been great for me. My life is better than it's ever been in the last 10 years. All the things I lost due to addiction are back, and I'm right back to where I was before I touched opiates. I can't say that enough. I truly did go back in time. I've been saving so much more money, and that is making things so much better for me. Anyway, since I've been doing so good in treatment and have a DESIRE to stay clean, my mother decided to help me out with a small task. Something I've been wanting to do for 3 years, but would NEVER be able to afford to. I have a great job. I've been there a year. Just got a raise. I have plenty of money now, like I said, since I'm not spending close to $500 a week on drugs. Well, I finally got it. I finally achieved my dream, with the help of my sobriety and my mother who's been the soldier next to me throughout this addiction process, AND the stating clean process. I am the new owner of a 2008 Volkswagen GTI. I have NEVER owned a new car(Ok, not NEW new, but close enough for me). I've NEVER owned a sports car. I've always wanted a turbocharged car, even though I'm not the type to go speeding everywhere. I value my life and my perfect driving record too much for that! Hehe. And most of all, I've wanted a VW GTI since I was 16 yrs old and dreams were big. I have NEVER been happier in my entire life. I'm finally starting to build up credit at 24 yrs old which is going to help me in a very big way down the road. I have a new car. A fresh relationship(same girlfriend, don't worry. She's going to be my fiancée some day :) ) All in all, I feel like I'm truly becoming a MAN. Yeah, I'm 24 years old but these past few years, I've had the responsibility of a young teenagers. None. Getting high. Paying for nothing. Spending money on drugs and alcohol and video games. Now I'm on my way to being an adult and I cannot be more thankful.

Here she is,

And finally, I must thank you all again for your ever growing support. I haven't been reading the forums for the last week or so, I admit, but it's because as you can see, I've had a lot going on. :)

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats Kevin, I'm truly happy for you! My older brother had a GTI in highschool (a looooong time ago :wink: ) and while it didn't look anywhere near as cool as yours does, it was a really fun car to drive.

I know how you feel about getting your life back and how great it feels to have things to look forward to other than getting high. Keep up the good work and the positive attitude - that will serve you well as you journey through your recovery.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:44 pm 
That's awesome! Reaping some reward for "good, clean living!" I'm sure your loved ones are so proud of you and so excited for all you've been able to accomplish. And it's only the beginning!! Good for you!
And hey, I was just like you on the dose reductions at those higher numbers. Not only was it not difficult to drop from 16 to 12 to 8 all pretty quickly.....but I actually felt better over all! You're doing great! So happy for you! Enjoy your new ride!! She looks nice!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:46 am 
Kevin, Good for you! You sound like someone who is going to be able to lead the way for other young addicts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:45 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Lilly wrote:
Kevin, Good for you! You sound like someone who is going to be able to lead the way for other young addicts.

It's funny you say that Lilly. Just this past week, I've helped two of my friends who were addicted to OxyContin...Start suboxone. One of which is even going to the same doctor as I am as per my recommendation. They were both running out of options and didn't know what to do anymore. They are completely changed people now that they're both on suboxone. They thank me every day that passes and I can't tell you how good it feels to know I was the one who gave them the extra boost they needed to get there life back. Who knows if they would of done it had I not pushed them to do so.