It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: NO MORE OXY PLEASE
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:58 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ok so I need some help I am sure some of you have dealt with this before..I have posted on here a few times before.. I have been taking sub now for about 11 days..Im not gonna go through my story but lets just say opiates were my one true love for several years until it became well u guys know..Anyway when I realized last week I either get help or im gonna die I just called a clinic and boom made a appointment thing is I left out my primary pain doctor in this decision.. Turns out I had an appointment with pain doc last Monday which was the Monday following my Friday induction..I have been seeing the same pain doc for almost 9 years and just didn't wanna go because I just didn't know if I was strong enough when she tried to hand me that op script to say ah no thanks so I called and said I was tied up at work and had to reschedule.Let me tell you there was dead silence on the other end of the phone because for years and years all the nurses know me by first name very well and know that I NEVER EVER miss my 28 appointment lol..Problem is they rescheduled for today at 4pm and 11 days into my sub treatment I still don't know what the hell to do ..I see this doc for other scripts too like my Ambien and my shift work medicine like provigil so I have to go in ..PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME I CAN DO THIS AND NOT TAKE THAT OXY SCRIPT..AND WHAT DO I SAY TO NOT INSULT HER..I mean I could just not say anything but I don't want that paper in my hand ..Ideas?? Support?? Anyone??

Post subject: Re: NO MORE OXY PLEASE
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:24 pm 

Hey Always,
Really glad you are doing well on your sub treatment. You have made a great decision to save your life.
First off, i believe in honesty with drs. Your dr needs to know what you are doing.
If it were me, i would go in there and tell her what you have told us.
After 9 years you should heve a good relationship with this dr. Alway, legally you are not
to have scripts for an opiate AND suboxone.
Your Sub Dr would also be very very unhappy to know this.
Chances are if you would even try to fill those scrips a big RED flag would be set off.
You could lose both drs in the process! And were would that leave you?

You have come a loug way now in a short period of time. Keep moving forward as you are.
Honesty is best right now. Get rid of this fear a d talk oopenly with your dr today.
Hey, im not saying its tbe easiest thing to do, but it is the right thing to do now that your recovery has begun!!

This isnt just my opinion, this is how it works..so...go do it today. You will feel alot etter when it is over..

Razor...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:01 pm 

If you go to your regularly scheduled appointment and get oxy you will break the contract you made with your sub doctor. If they find out, and that's not hard to do, they will boot you out of the program. Do you really want to risk that??

The truth is that you can make it on suboxone. It might take some getting used to, but it will keep you from craving the drugs you abuse. For me it was a miraculous switch. That was because I had reached my breaking point and I was very ready to stop abusing opiates. If you are not ready to be sober you may not decide to continue with the help that sub can give. Just remember that your chances of dying from an overdose is SO much higher on oxy than on sub. Do you really want to take that chance? I think you are worth the sub treatment!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:06 pm 

Yup!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:00 pm 

I agree with razor and Amy 100%. I know all clinics aren't the same, but my clinic doesn't let u take hardly anything with sub so u should make sure with ur sub doctor that the other stuff ur pain Dr prescribes u (not the oxy) is Ok to take with their rules. For me, I avoid ppl, places and things that could set me off or trigger me. I'm almost three yrs in and I don't think I'd feel comfortable at all in a place where I knew I could get me a script for oxy. I know its inconvient to find a new Dr to prescribe u the meds u need besides ur sub, but IMO u should find u a whole new Dr for that instead of a pain Dr. In recovery u have to change everything sometimes. U haven't been on subs a month yet so if u let it show u what a blessing it can be, u won't be even worried about keeping an apt with ur pain Dr. I just think it would be so hard to resist that temptation. Only my opinion, but I think u should leave the old Dr behind, and if u think u need the other meds then find ya a whole new one. I know its hard and ur trying to adjust to living different but I promise u it is so worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:32 pm 

I did not read where you said you were getting your Suboxone from a doctor. Your user name is apropos. Meaning, it will always be the same until you take recovery seriously and go see a certified Suboxone doctor. Amy said it correctly. When you sign on with a Suboxone doctor they have you sign a contract which says they are your primary doctor unless otherwise noted. Same goes with the pharmacy. No shopping around, just one.

Sooooo, like Razor said, are you going to be honest and do it the right way this time?

Now of course I could be wrong and you are seeing a doctor. If so, why aren't you telling him the truth? We need to cut loose the connections or suffer the consequences. Which shall it be?

rule

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks guys those responses are exactly what I needed to hear..And I am being treated in a opiate recovery clinic but they start you off on a week take home at a time..I was completely honest with my sub doc and even took all 3 of my opiate prescription bottles (empty of course)to my induction and the doc only said well I hope your doctor wouldn't be the kind of doctor to write you prescriptions when you tell her you are on suboxone..I only wanted some input and support from you guys because I found my old addict self making up every excuse I could think of last night at work as to how I was just having a bad couple weeks and do I really need these blah blah blah..as for my pain doc which is really no more than a primary with a liberal view on writing scripts..I actually just got off the phone with her office and told the nurse I wouldn't be coming back and was going to find another primary doctor,when she asked me why I told her that I decided I wanted to live and just flat out told her when I ran out of my 3 narcotic scripts they gave me I would not only buy more but even buy h when I couldn't get high enough from the pills ..So needless to say I'm in this sub thing for dam sure now lol...And I admit I'm 100% freaked out...and for the record I did tell my sub doc about EVERYTHING I take other than sub at my induction and she was ok with both the Ambien and the provigil..BUT AGAIN THANK U GUYS SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:18 pm 

Great job always! I knew u had a sub doctor, I remember ur very first post and been cheering u on since. U absolutely did the best thing u could've done in this situation. As long as ur honest with ur Dr and urself and take ur sub as directed, u will soon see how amazing life can be again. So happy for u. And remember, this is hard leaving ur old ways behind and that's why u ask questions and have support from others. I sure wish I'd found this place when I first went. Askin for advice and support is what ur doing and should be. Sometimes I see ppl post who has a very similar situation as I did. Ur doing great!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:39 pm 

PROUD OF YOU ALWAYS!!
You did tbe right next thing.
I bet ya feel great about it too..
Ok, your on bus with all of us now!!..

Razor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks, I'm actually really feeling better...Going to try to find some private counseling and just take it day by day.. I hope you guys are doing good as well..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm a bit late responding to this post, but I wanted to say that I've been following along with your thread, and I'm so glad to hear that you were honest with the doctors office, and made the right decision! Way to go! I know you're feeling freaked out right now, but once you're in a well established routine of taking your sub and going to your appointments, not taking oxy, that freaked out feeling will fade away, and you'll see that you have done the best thing for yourself and those who love you. You're saving your own life.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:09 pm 

Dang dude, I was wrong and am completely happy about it. Good job at being honest and fessing up to everything!

When I told my Suboxone doctor exactly what I was ingesting daily, that was the first time I was honest about my drug abuse. What a day that was.

Congrats on seeing the light and it does sound like you're on the right path. Just do what they say.

Keep on posting your progress,

rule

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey guys sorry I for some reason posted a update in the dosing discussion last night and was trying to answer a couple questions from you guys and just realized how vague I am being...lol and for some reason really repetitive..But to be fair like I told Q I feel like lately I'm losing my mind..I am starting to believe that I have been high for so long that feeling normal physically is freakin me out..But seems like I have been on this just crazy roller coaster through hell of emotions the last few days from really pissed off to sad to so anxious cant sit still to not wanting to get out of bed to hella depressed to doin just ok but most of all really distant and just kinda zoned out and sleeping an hour at a time and waking up from the brutal freakin nightmares..I really hoping that maybe I just forgot how to not be high all the time because believe me when I say I would get "well" the second I woke up to the minute I went to bed every single day for years as sad of a statement as that is ..I am starting to wonder if maybe I should be on methadone instead of suboxone what do u guys think ?? If you don't wanna touch this post with a ten foot pole lol I understand and I know I desperately need counseling just haven't found the balls to call yet ..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Always

I had a tough time with the transition from 360 + mgs of oxy to suboxone. I felt sick, anxious, had pain and my doctor thought I was in PW's. He asked me many times when the last time I took the oxy - now it's sort of funny but then it wasn't. I had pain & was sick to my stomach because I had kidney stones! 5 days after induction I ended up in urgent care. I blamed everything on suboxone until I found out it was the kidney stones. Any way I also felt weird (not a good weird) and realized I had no idea how to "be straight" any more. Honestly it was a gradual change to feeling well on suboxone for me. I was jealous of people who felt good the first day. Now I have good pain relief and even though my life is crazy right now I have no desire to use opiates. My doctor is awesome and urged me every day to stick with the sub. I am very glad I did.

I wanted to share my experience with you because maybe if you give suboxone more time you will also level out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:07 am 

I couldnt agree more with Tiki, ride it out awhile louger.
You have been on opiates a loug time Always,10 years i think you have said. Your brain and mind need time.
You said it your self : "just need the balls to do it"..get with a therapist asap and talk ! More support in a peer group, something to help you aloug.
As great as we are here, maybe a pro in person can be of service. It was for me in the begining.
Why do think Methadone would have a better effect for your? Do you want to line up every morning to get your dose?
That fact alone would keep me on sub.. Your doing well, 15 days in now, hang in there..

Razor..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey always,

I just wanted to add to what the others have already said. We aren't "anti-methadone" here. It's just that suboxone seems to be a much better choice for most of us. We have several members who have tried both, and most wind up favoring the suboxone. Less hassle, less potential for abuse. Plus, the methadone is much harder to taper off of and if you wind up not liking it, it's very hard to switch back to subs.

Maybe TinyDancer will see this post and chime in. She has been around the block with both, and can probably give you some great advice here.

Keep on keepin' on. I still think that after a couple weeks you will feel completely different. The private counseling is a VERY good idea for you. I think you should get on that asap.

Q

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am sure you guys are right and I just have to give it a chance and not be so impatient..Lol don't know why I thought sub alone was gonna be some miracle cure without me putting any effort into it.. I remember the doc asking me at induction had I tried to quit opiates before and I said oh yah tried goin cold turkey before but it was more like I ran out for a day or so lol so I gotta work at this ...As far as the methadone I certainly didn't think about having to dose daily It was difficult to tell all my connects to lose my number and I know I will just end up meeting more "friends" in that line in sure..so is what it is right

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:55 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

As addicts it is so hard for us to be completely honest. You need to give yourself more credit for leveling with your sub Dr. As for switching to methadone I think it would be a bad idea. This is only my opinion. Methadone was so addictive to me that the more I took the more I wanted. When I took suboxone it was different. It did not seem to make me want more.
Perhaps you could ask your sub Dr. about giving you the ambien and the other drug you needed. I told my sub Dr. I was having a lot of trouble sleeping and he gave me a prescription for Lunesta which has worked well for me. You could also tell your sub Dr. about canceling your appointment with your pain Dr. This might help you get the other medications that you need and you would not have to "stress out" about finding another Dr. for these drugs.
I also had the bad dreams at first. When I lowered my dose from 24mg. to 4mg. the bad dreams stopped.
Good luck to you Always the same. Hang in there and stay the course! You are doing great!!

Slipper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Like you, I started Subs from a very high dose of Oxy. I was hovering around 400-500 mgs p/d. From what my Dr told me its a bit tougher to come off of higher doses of Oxy to Sub, because they don't active the receptors even at full dose to the level that a oxy does. That said if you can tough it out for a week or two you'll be so happy to be on Subs rather than Meth.

I too felt a bit crazy, and was worried I'd damaged myself forever when I first started talking subs. I was having anxiety, neverousness, crazy thoughts, the whole deal. I like you was scared that I'd messed my brain up with so much abuse, but after that transisition, life is wonderful.

We're so used to instant gratification, your not used to being uncomfortable, and you're feeling things that have been dulled for years. Stick with the Subs, things will get better I promise. And once you're on the other side you can come on the boards and help people who were like you, knowing full well their future is bright if they hang in there.

Best

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well after thinking things over and reading what you guys had to say I definitely don't want to go the methadone route and stick it out with my suboxone.. Kinda feel like the methadone would make me relapse.. I seem to be doing alright and knowing that a few people have had some of the things happen to them that I am going through gives me hope... I definitely am happy with the fact that I have realized its not the oxy I crave but the high plain and simple.. One of the things I hated about being on opiates was my bros calling and asking me if I wanted to go to a thunder game that coming up weekend and me running to count my pills to see if I would have enough by then to go and you guessed it more than 80 percent of the time would have to stress out and make phone calls to make sure I could go ... Bro in law called me last night and said he had floor seats for next month and without hesitation o said well HELL YAH IM GOING that felt good believe me..he said dam bro you sure don't u need to call me back and I said no but I need to fill you in at the game and tell you what I finally chose to do about my problem...