It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: More bad news
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A good friend of mine who is a single mother and in financial dire straits was just offered a good job paying ~$20/hour. Unfortunately, when they told her they would do a hair test for drugs she decided to be upfront and honest and disclose that she is on methadone. They immediately showed her to the door. Of course, everyone is telling her she shouldn't have said anything and just dealt with the results when they came, but it's too late for that now. She said she was embarrassed, humiliated, angry and hurt all at the same time. She is well aware of the fact that addicts who are using lie and get away with stuff all the time. She is in recovery and trying to be rigorously honest and she feels like she is being punished for it. She REALLY needed the job and she may be facing homelessness now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hmm, so they didn't hire her because she is in recovery from drug addiction. Interesting, considering that according to the ADA, drug addiction, is sometimes considered a disability, depending on if the person is in recovery and on the specific situation. You can easily look up the ADA and read it. It's pretty clear when drug addiction is considered a disability and when it's not. I mention this because it could be clear cut employment discrimination and a lawyer could be consulted. That's what I would do (otherwise they just keep getting away with it).

On a personal level, I think it stinks that they did that to her. We try to be upfront and honest and peoples' reactions only serve to push us further and further back into the closet. I really hope something comes her way soon. She has a good friend in you, Lilly.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Lilly,you are really going through alot lately Praying it turns around really soon for you and yours. I agree with Hat that this is just why we are ashamed to tell others about our addiction. I would have to say that it is problaby good she found out now that this people are assholes. You know it is terrible that we can not get a break in life. I hope something comes up for your friend real soon and better then thier offer. GOD works in ways we sometimes dont understand and I just bet that her putting herself out there like that and this people treating her with NO respect things are gonna work out for her. Again praying soon things get better for you and Yours
Mel :wink:

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I too am sorry about your friend. She did the right thing and ultimately with a hair test they would have found out anyway. If they showed her the door for being honest I would assume the outcome would have been the same after failing the drug test. I hope she is able to find work soon. It makes me so frustrated and angry to hear story after story of people being punished for doing the right thing.

People are so backwards when it comes to these types of situations. Just like someone that got out of jail. Our govt claims the goal is to rehabilitate ex felons but how can they stay straight when they can't get a job? I know people who have honestly tried to live their life straight but after not finding a job for an extended period of time they return to their criminal activity. You need a job and money to live and if they can't get one what are they supposed to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

dam' i'm so sorry'. but i would not had give the true tst' to prove how you can perform on or off
the med.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's messed up, and I'm sorry for your friend. I wouldn't blame the employer any more than I'd blame the countless people who take drugs who aren't productive at work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well i cant say iam suprised this happend. I know we understand it but someone with no knowledge what so ever about recovery/addiction treatment hears methadone they automaticly think the worst. I thank god that i have true documented pain in medical file incase something like this ever happend to me. So i could get a note from any of my drs saying iam on meth for pain management and leave addiction out.

I really hope that your friend can get this all figuerd out and i also think that it would be best if she consulted a lawyer.

Post subject: More Bad News
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I think that truly sucks. If it would have been a regular UA it probably would not show up the five panel test I know methadone shows up on the ten panel test and everything shows up on the hair strand test. But nonetheless we are on medication for a disease the same as someone with diabetes or hypertension etc....When I was going to interview for this job last year my counselor had written a "To whom it may Concern Letter" explaining the fact I was on Methadone for medical reasons as addiction is a disease but she never told why I was on Methadone except I was receiving medical treatment under a doctors care and I was taking prescribed methadone. When the subject came up about a drug screen I pulled the letter out of my pocketbook and said I would like a copy of this to be submitted with my resume please explaining that althhough I will show positive for a medication called methadone I am receiving said medicine through the care of a medical doctor from a medical facility. And.....I had no problems. Now that is one of those few happy endings for us MMTer's. I say honesty is the best policy because your frined would have found herself worrying about when they were going to find it out etc....no fun. I am really enjoying this site. It is such support to know there are others out there dealing with common subjects that can share their experiences with each other. Thanks to you all