It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all, I have been on suboxone for almost a year now straight and I wouldn't say anything really bad about it. I was a broke junkie and now I have a great job which I was promoted twice, and most of all a life..My doctor prescribed me 8 mg 3 times a day for the past year. I take about 12 mg a day. I pretty much take it whenever and really do not have a cycle. Some days I only take 8 and sometimes more than 12. I also take cymbalta for depression and have Hep C. In the past year I have been having crazing mood swings. Somedays I am on top of the world and then Ill be down in the Dumps. My family has other issues like depression and anxiety and my brother and dad may be Bi Polar. They were never really medicated so we dont know for sure. But they have crazy mood swings worse than I do. But anyways Ill be doing great and then a couple days later Ill be really depressed and irritable. To top it off Ill sleep for like 12 hours. Today was my day off and I slept pretty much until 5pm. This happens about every 3 weeks.. I just crash... I never miss my cymbalta... I am starting to think I may be bi polar... Or is it from the Hep C ? I also have no energy and I think that makes me depressed or vise versa . Im not like " I want to die depressed " I am sad and down for no reason at all.. And when something happens that is irritable like fight with my girl.. Or something sad or bad..It makes me even worse. I hate feeling like this. Also to top it off I don't get that nice feeling from subs too often ( or from other opiods since I quit) Which always made me happy. I dunno I just hate having no energy and being depressed. Should I take the subs differently? Because I know I dont need 24 mg a day. Also I eat like 3 veggies a day and very well balanced meals. I also walk all day at work for I do get exercise. I was thinking of trying bipolar meds but i just dont want anything too crazy... I hope this goes away!!

Post subject: yogii..............
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:49 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

This is a suboxone site, But I was diagnosed as being bipolar 7 weeks ago, I take lithium carbonate for it, from the same pdoc that I get my sub from, has leveled things out BIG TIME, these mental issues will not fix themselves, time is precious,it is soooooooooo precious, Good Luck, Mike 1.75mg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:20 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have also been on sub for about a year now. I was on 16 mgs. Within the past month and a half I have tapered down to 8mgs. Now on the 8mgs, I am having the same problems. HUGE mood swings and irritability. My sub doc actually told me when I started tapering to get in touch with my fam dr if I have a past of depression or anxiety b/c it may get worse while tapering. So..... as soon as I can dig up 60 bucks I'll be seeing my fam dr to get on an SSRI or something else for the mood swings and irritably. So, I think what you are going through is probably in part due to your dosage.....HTH Good luck with everything.

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi yogii and welcome to the site,

Before I say anything, please know I am not a doctor. I can't say your mood swings are related to your dosage, but I would suggest taking the same dose every day at the same time every day. You really shouldn't mess around with it like that. Talk to you sub doc and find a dosage that's right for you.

If that doesn't help your mood swings - and with your family history it may not - you should see a doctor about that, too. I'm not bipolar but I do have mood swings and I take a couple of extra meds along with my SSRI and it has helped to even out the moods. (I don't mean to say I take them on my own, my psychiatrist prescribes them.)

Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm only on suboxone a short time, also I am on a very low dose but I have noticed some depression since taking this drug . The first week until I stabilized I wanted to die, not kill myself and die but I wished I wouldn't wake up and I felt like I couldn't do "this". I also experienced disassociation and irritability. I have started an exercise program which does help some, but not in the way exercise would help during the winter months (SAD). I have not been on and SSRI's or mood stabilizers by choice in over 3 years, choosing to treat my SAD naturally w/ exercise, diet and fish oil. I can accurately say that I believe this is the suboxone that makes me feel this way. I know some get a euphoric feeling which confused me at first and then I remembered I metabolize drugs differently than other people and often am very sensitive to side effects.

I would agree w/ hatmaker, you need to take the same amount every day at the same time. Try taking a consistent dose at the same time every day. If that doesn't help or you feel like you are in trouble at all, please see a doctor.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:35 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

yogii wrote:
...I also take cymbalta for depression and have Hep C. In the past year I have been having crazing mood swings. Somedays I am on top of the world and then Ill be down in the Dumps. My family has other issues like depression and anxiety and my brother and dad may be Bi Polar. They were never really medicated so we dont know for sure. But they have crazy mood swings worse than I do. But anyways Ill be doing great and then a couple days later Ill be really depressed and irritable. To top it off Ill sleep for like 12 hours. Today was my day off and I slept pretty much until 5pm. This happens about every 3 weeks.. I just crash... I never miss my cymbalta... I am starting to think I may be bi polar... Or is it from the Hep C ? I also have no energy and I think that makes me depressed or vise versa .

I have HepC too, genotype 3a. I've had it 16 years and decided against treatment due to the possible side effects of suicidal tendencies. Did you ever take treatments, and if so were they successful? I had Hep B & D in '87 but cleared the virus on my own and have immune status. I thought maybe I could clear C on my own too, but I guess not... I'll probably kick the bucket from it in another 5 years or so, but we all gotta go sometime.

If I don't abuse myself with a ton of Vicodin, which has acetaminophen in it, I usually don't feel too bad. I drank heavily for over 20 years, which earned me 3 DWI's and a ton of other problems, but quit when I contracted the virus and haven't drank in over 10 years. Fatigue is my only symptom but I'm in a position where I can go to sleep anytime I feel like it, as much or often as I feel the need. HepC is asymptomatic so you usually don't develop a lot of symptoms till your liver can't filter the impurities from your body anymore. Then you turn a funny color and die. I can't say I'm looking forward to it but it doesn't scare me either. Not much does, just Methadone WD.

Does the Sub ever bother your liver? I did notice a twinge in mine this morning but that's not really unusual for me. Nothing like if I'd been taking Vicodin the past few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good to hear from you yogii. I could relate to a lot of what you posted. I'm not a doctor, but I can speak from my own experience as someone who's been diagnosed as having bipolar type 1 and concurrent drug addiction.

I'd just like to firstly say that IMHO bipolar is a much over-diagnosed condition and often misunderstood. Many people like to label their acquaintances, family members, housemates etc as having bipolar without properly understanding the condition. A good psychiatrist often looks at a persons history over their lifetime, childhood included, whether they're prone to make rational decisions or impulsive emotionally charged decisions that land them in trouble etc.

However, it is very common for people with addiction problems to have some form of emotional dysregulation that causes them pain in life. These days I believe that the reason I fell to addiction was because my reactive and volatile emotions caused me enough distress that I subconsciously reached for something to numb the pain. And the statistics back up my belief. I can't remember the figure, but I've read that a huge proportion of bipolar sufferers end up with addiction problems.

I've been treated with a combination of mood stabilisers and anti-depressants (Cymbalta). These days I don't take the Cymbalta though because for some reasons it doesn't mix with the suboxone in my freaky liver. Instead I opt for fish oil and SAMe supplements. These worked really well but the last few days I too have found myself down in the dumps. I can't make any suggestions for your treatment because I'm not a doctor, but it wouldn't surprise me if a doc decided to raise your anti-depressant and put you on valproate or lithium as well?

As for the irritability. This is really interesting. IMHO all opiates cause irritability. I remember being on "the nod" on a bus or tram, and whenever some other passenger pulled the cord to get off at their stop I felt this irrational urge to yell abuse at them and / or strangle them. Of course I wouldn't because I was too busy being on the nod. But the irritability was there. Also last time I was on suboxone, my then girlfriend and I would often have big fights that i'd start over something trivial. Then I got off the bupe, and she ended up on treatment. And she became so constantly irritable and the fights were so livid that we ended up breaking up. I also remember naltrexone made me cranky too in a similar way to bupe.

In my experience, all opiates cause this irritability. The only difference is that with bupe and naltrexone there's none of that sedating euphoria to drown it out.

I can't really comment on the hep C because I managed to dodge that bullet somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

How does one dodge a bullet from Hep C? Do you get it from taking too much opiates with acetaminophen or something?

Post subject: Moody on SUBS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I've been on subs since Feb of this year, started on 8m twice a day. I have been a very difficult person to live with! I take 5omg Pristique (it is the same thing as Effexor basically, just is an extended release form) for depression and it helped me until I got on Sub. First of all I want to say this drug has been a LIFESAVER for me as I am in the medical field and give out PILLS daily....So at first I was awesome, slept great, all cravings gone, etc. Then I became irritable at the least thing, sleepy all the time, gained 30 pounds and my husband now says I am the meanest person he knows :cry:

I have weaned down to 2 mg since the end of July, because I don't want to live like this. My family doc says when I am completely off he will put me back on a low dose of adderall for my ADD so I will have some motivation and orginazation in my life and then I will just have to quit my job!!

Subs is great but it doesn't work in my system, I relate to you! I need my happy personality back and I need my husband!

Good luck to all!

Post subject: dodging that bullet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:49 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Just to answer Hopeful's question to Tearjerker about dodging the hep c bullet--I think Tearjerjker meant he is lucky that he didnt' get Hep C while he was using. People who share IV needles are at high risk for contracting Hep C, which is a virus that attacks the liver. I too would say I "dodged a bulet" by managing to NOT contract Hep C while I was using--many of my friends have it and although I was careful, there were times when a mistake or accident could have occured--I've been scratched by used needles more than once, for instance, and when everyone is high on heroin it could be easy to make a stupid mistake with needles (and cookers, etc) if you really aren't all strictly using a brand new fresh one from an unopened pack every time.

There are other kinds of hepatitis too, and I think the term can also sometimes be used to refer to liver damage in general, but hep C is a virus that is transmited by blood contact. I have heard that it is a very hardy virus that can live outside of the human body for quite some time, i.e., many days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ah. Ok, thanks for answering my question. It's a good thing you both were lucky. My dad got into that scene and unfortunately was not so lucky. He contracted several types of Hep, and the outcome was grave.. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

smat wrote:
I'm only on suboxone a short time, also I am on a very low dose but I have noticed some depression since taking this drug . The first week until I stabilized I wanted to die, not kill myself and die but I wished I wouldn't wake up and I felt like I couldn't do "this". I also experienced disassociation and irritability. I have started an exercise program which does help some, but not in the way exercise would help during the winter months (SAD). I have not been on and SSRI's or mood stabilizers by choice in over 3 years, choosing to treat my SAD naturally w/ exercise, diet and fish oil. I can accurately say that I believe this is the suboxone that makes me feel this way. I know some get a euphoric feeling which confused me at first and then I remembered I metabolize drugs differently than other people and often am very sensitive to side effects.

I would agree w/ hatmaker, you need to take the same amount every day at the same time. Try taking a consistent dose at the same time every day. If that doesn't help or you feel like you are in trouble at all, please see a doctor.
you know ive been researching alot of different forums and Im beginning to believe that my theory, based on what most are saying about the "bipolar" disorder....alright Im ADHD, I have more of the hyper phase of it than the depressive phase...Ive never taken anything for it, not even nerve pills. When I first started suboxone, I noticed headaches, irritability, mood swings like never before...well doctor said probably just withdrawals from opiates...so we give it about 3-4mths still got worse...so he switched me to subutex, mostly to try because of the horrible headaches...now ive printed off and probably would never get a doctor to believe this but since ive been on the subutex I feel more stable, not moody, actually have lil burt of energy(whereas on suboxone was wanting to sleep all time)....we pranked with the dose too to level me out while on suboxone...nothing helped...I noticed almost immediately, within 2 days a change in myself, my family noticed as well...I actually had "drive and want to" get out of the house and do things and be happy not moody and irritable....now ive read in bunch of other sites and most all ppl that this happens to are the ppl that are ADHD...now normally ADHD ppl wouldnt just be moody and irritable....I also done some research on naloxone and one of the "do not use ifs": mental disorders...now I took the proof and showed one doctor and he pretty much laughed at me and said "there isnt enough naloxone in that medication to cause any of those symptoms" which pretty much pissed me off because I know what my body feels, i know when im normal and not normal....I dont care if anyone believes me or not but ive printed off tons of ppl that with the side effects of suboxone that they say are irritable and moody, aggitation, etc...most 90% of those ppl start out saying they are ADHD or bipolar diagnosed and wondering why they have these side effects??? strange but im seriously thinking that it is the naloxone...seriously, I feel like a totally different person on the subutex than the suboxone, i know I do, others notice it as well.....bet u in time that will be discovered and someone else will get the credit...alot of these doctors take a 8hr course on suboxone...they dont research and see what true suboxone patients are having to say, and compare other than their own patients...may God bless each and everyone of u!