It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Everyone,

I had a post recently related to this subject but I wanted to elaborate now that we have the new "Bup and Mood" discussion board. Since starting Suboxone almost three months ago some things about my mood are the same as day one and some things have changed. For example in the beginning I did experience a short period of mild euphoria after dosing. I'd say for about 5-10 min max. I know longer experience that at all and because of that as you would expect Suboxone doesn't lift my mood and give me that sense of well being like it did the first couple of days. I think the biggest thing that I have noticed lately is that I'm content with doing whatever it is I may be doing which can be a good thing and a bad thing. It's great when I'm a work or at school because I get a lot done and I feel good about myself for working hard. The problem is that I am also content just sitting around my apartment by myself. I've become single recently and I'm living on my own because of that so, I really need to get out there and meet some people and do stuff, but like I said before I'm just cool with watching TV instead. I don't get board like I would if I wasn't on Suboxone. I guess what I'm saying is that I have to be careful that I don't let this stuff turn me into a loner. Suboxone has almost completely wiped out all my cravings. Every couple of days I will think to myself, "man it would be cool to be blitzed right now", but I move on pretty quickly from those thoughts. I would say I feel pretty normal on Suboxone and my life is definitely improved dramatically!

As far as depression is concerned I think that Suboxone does a great job at alleviating the depression I was experiencing as a result of the breakup I had recently. Most opiates work wonders on depression though. I was never depressed on my DOC either. LOL! Lastly, I would like to say that my sex drive is still pretty normal. So, that's good.

Anyways, thanks for listening....

Post subject: Isolation
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm recently single too. My ex and I separated but lived under the same roof for about a year (which was sheer h*ll) and I moved in Dec. of 09. In my entire 6 months of sub treatment I have had NO desire to go out, date, meet people - nothing. Like you, I'm perfectly content to stay in and watch TV, be on my computer or tinker around the house. It's really starting to scare me though, because like you I feel like I need to start getting out. For me, though, the sub or maybe something going on with me personally, has made my sex drive null and void - zero desire.

I'm really starting to think I might end up alone forever like this and have tried to start weaning down off the subs because I feel like they make me feel numb. A lot of folks said for them they started having to feel their emotions on sub, but it doesn't seem that way to me. I feel like maybe if i can get off the suboxone I will start to actually FEEL again and that unless I get off it I may not, and I may never have the desire to leave my house and meet people!

I wonder if anyone else has felt like this and what they might have done to resolve the problem?

Post subject: there is hope
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Bennie,

I don't know how long you have been feeling this way but for me it seemed to be a phase with Suboxone. Since making this post a few months ago I have dropped my dosage from 8mg to 6mg and I feel more myself. I don't feel so content just sitting around anymore and I feel less "numb" emotionally, if you will. I have made some new friends through work. I've been on a couple dates. However, I still have trouble letting go of my ex. I have trouble forgiving myself for the mistakes I made which makes it hard to move on. I don't know if you feel this way at all. My self talk is not good when it comes to that subject and I tend to beat myself up and make it worse.

A friend recently put things in some perspective for me. She said that she thinks it has been so hard to me to let go of this relationship because for so long I tried to numb myself with drugs and isolate myself. My world was "grey" as she put it. Then this women came along and for the first time there was "color" in my life. I was living while I was with her, and for the first time someone wanted to share there life with me. Now that she is gone I'm "grey" again with no drugs to numb me. She said I have to learn how to bring "color" to my life on my own. I need to want to live for myself not just for some else. I took this advise to heart. I feel like she described my situation exactly.

Again, I don't know if any of this is similar to what you are going through, but I hope it helps. There is someone out there for us. We just have to learn how to take care of ourselves so that they don't feel so much pressure to be there for us all the time. Thanks for the response.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:24 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I would strongly recommend discussing lowering your dosage with your doctor. My opinion and experience is the less you take the less side effects you will experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

There’s definitely something about subox making you feel less emotions or overall numb a person. Personally, it’s part of why (among others) I’m trying to quit it. I felt exactly like some of you said. I’ve isolated myself totally to the house, thus isolating myself from social interaction. Being content with every situation. Also I’ve noticed my sex drive isn’t that good. I thought maybe it’s psychological, but in my days off tapering/lowering the dose I experienced a rush of emotions from extreme euphoria to restlessness and not being content with everything. Not to mention my sex drive :-p intense…. Well it’s all overwhelming ofc and I still haven’t figured out what to do with all these new experiences. I guess all you have to do to feel really ok is minimize the dosage. That’s what I figured out while tapering, although I’m trying to quit completely (4years on it).
I’m really curious what it’s all about with all this numbness on buprenorphine….

Post subject: So it goes here too...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Without writing l details down, I am so much similar to these posts.
I have found that while on the bupe I feel mentally challenged and physically unmotivated s
Sexually.

I have not gone down below 8 mg per day on any consistent basis.
Maybe that would fix things..... Right now I'm inclined to think that
This opiate knocking down the body's endorphins and hormones is the
Reason. So total abstinence has to be the real solution. Just sayin....
Most opiate burnout complAints are just too similar to the folks who need
HRT for natural reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:55 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone,
I just joined this group, as I was reading about ways to ease the W/D of quitting suboxone. I am gonna try the Thomas recipe. It looks like it will help.

I have been on the Sub for 7 years! Anyone who thinks that social isolation isn't a factor to be considered when using Sub, is in for a big surprise. I used to play music in a band and was real busy until I quit methadone and went to suboxone.
I have become a complete recluse and depressed and angry. The suboxone even effected my energy levels so extremely, up and down, that I lost my job. I have no sex drive to speak of, and give myself testosterone shots every two weeks just so I can have a little bit of energy and mental health.

Yes, opiates interfere with the pituitary's ability to command the gonads to produce the testosterone. Today, I have started weaning myself down from 4mg a day to 1.5mg. Tomorrow I plan on just 1mg divided in two. I want my life back and I want to be in a relationship....I want to be with my friends and do things again. This will only happen after I get off this stuff. I know that some people need it for pain, and it works good for that. My pain is not that bad.

I have psoriatic arthritis, and I tried Cymbalta for a while, and it helped with my back pain immensely. I guess, once this is over, then I will try the Cymbalta again. I will also be giving Enbrel a try for the PsA. I will report back in a few days to let you all know how I am doing.

Guitrpikr :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:11 pm 

What is the Thomas recipe? Do you mind sharing that with us?

Thanks,
Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey guitrpikr!!

(love the screen name)

I'm sorry you're feeling the isolation/anxiety/depression! Me and everyone I know on suboxone, got hit with this crap eventually. From what I've gathered, anxiety is more prevalent about 2-3 years in.. it's worse for some more than others tho. General depression and isolation is gradual over time but most people talking about it are well in to at least 5 years on subs. The maintenance people with the most issues in this area seem to be between 5-7+ years on steady maintenance (from what I've seen so far.) I can't help but wonder if it has anything to do with the naltrexone..

Good luck to you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi hwodatnola'. i go through alot of the same exp- i am having probl- with friends and family for not having the feelings they have and they can sure see the diff- in mine wile on subs. they think i'm(TO GOD DAM BOSSY) :( :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:04 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Ya I think pretty much everyone could agree that the bupe changes the mood an causes isolation.. I am currently taking the 12mg strips. Instead of 1 an a half 8mg tabs an I feel as if the strips have been causing me too stay in the house more often.. it may have to do with the way I ingested them as I would have to snort the tabs because I was unable to keep them in place under my tongue could that make a difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:27 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wow people are talking about the downsides of suboxone on suboxforum.com but still helping echother and nobody is freaking out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:31 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is exactly why I want off suboxone sooooo badly...I'm watching my life pass me by from the couch and I know it, It's easy to say get up and do something go meet new people when its not you, but when your stuck in .....blah-mode.....it's hard to be around people and act like the normal person you once were......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pete, you're the one who freaks out when you can't bash Suboxone.

If you want off Suboxone so bad, then quit. BAM, problem solved!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sounds like you just lost a woman. You ARE a loner for right now. That's ok. And. You are obviously getting bored as hell if you are thinking getting high would be awesome. Seriously. Think about it. When suboxone didn't get you high anymore, you didn't like it as much.

Do you do anything for recovery?
Go to a meeting instead of just sitting at home wishing you could use until you do.
Then after you make some clean friends you could go do things all the time with them.

Sounds crazy but you have to completely change your life and it's hard work alot of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wait, Romeo you are talking to me? It's Paul not Pete lol close enough but it's nice to know u read my introduction tho, it gave me the fuzzy even tho u got it wrong lol, I can't remember names of people I meet in person and certainly not on a forum........getting off suboxone is far from "bam problem solved" as you put it, I can't get off, I went 6 months last time I tried and it did not go so well..... Nobody's freakin out or bashing subs.....I was saying its unusual to see suboxone discussed this way on this forum and I think it's positive that nobody is objecting....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Paul,

I'm afraid you have been listening to all the drama that has been going on of late. Really, this forum is very accepting of people discussing the drawbacks of suboxone treatment. When it is done in a tastefull and mature manner. Everyone's a little on edge because of the crap we have been dealing with from a few troublemakers. Discussions like the one above are not that out of the ordinary.

I hope you stick around and are able to see for yourself that what has been said about this forum being intolerant really isn't true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Agreed.

You can't possibly say that suboxone makes you stay home, not meet other addicts, become a part of society. Another case where I truly believe that it's either an underlying problem that needs looked at or lack of real acceptance. I used to think recovery stuff was worthless and crazy, but now it has turned my life inside out. I feel great alot of the time now. That's why I recommend it. Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well. And I used to feel the same way as many men on this thread until I got started on testosterone Replacement. Changed my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

How long did it take u to feel better on testosterone? Did u have loss of eyebrows from sub? Did the test bring it back? Did u have loss of libido and did it come back on test?