It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 6 months since the jump
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So my first 6 months off bupe has went by quickly. I was on it for about 6 years after becoming addicted to hydrocodone for a previous 5 years. For me the jump was easier than even a slow taper. I took 8 months to drop from 2mg/day to .007mg/day using the liquid method at the end when my films got hard to cut.

The first few weeks after the jump I felt almost plugged in....wired. The lack of sleep was the worst part along with a lot of itching each morning. I still have some sleep issues, I still itch mornings, I still sneeze 2-3 times daily and I still have minor GI issues but otherwise I feel great. Almost 100% I'd say. I've exercised 3-5 times weekly and have worked my way back up to running 2 miles at once, not easy after 30+ years of no running (I'm 56).

Overall, while recovery has taken months longer than I expected, I'm not complaining. I've had no cravings to date and feel really good about where I'm at. My primary care provider has given me a clean bill of health and I'm not on any drugs at all, licit or illicit.

At times I've had mixed feelings about bupe, I had a bit of an attitude while I was tapering. My apologies if I was out of line in other threads. I do not think I could have quit full agonists as I did bupe so I give it the credit due.

I'll update this thread as time passes or circumstances change.

My hat is off to others who have quit before me or are in the middle of that process now!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:25 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Congratulations on your recovery up to this point. Sounds like you're doing all the right things to make yourself as healthy as possible for your age. The best news in my mind is that you haven't been having any cravings. That's something I struggle with from time to time due to anxiety. I bet your doctor is really proud of you as they should be. I appreciate the update. Take care.

- OpenMind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry to hear you still have cravings, I hope mine never return but if they do I'll be ready. I've had some relatively minor anxiety and my wife went thru a tough time dealing with it so I know how debilitating it can be.

I had the coolest Dr in the world. After I earned her trust she allowed me total control of my taper. I had no insurance so had to pay cash. To help out she would write me scripts for 8mg/day knowing I only needed a fraction of that since I was tapering. I simply had to call for an appointment even tho it may have been months since my last visit. I haven't seen her at all in about 2 years although we have stayed in touch via text messages.

Last edited by fork on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:08 pm 

Quote:
At times I've had mixed feelings about bupe, I had a bit of an attitude while I was tapering. My apologies if I was out of line in other threads. I do not think I could have quit full agonists as I did bupe so I give it the credit due.

Thanks fork for putting that out there. At least in retrospect you can see how it may affect the new members looking for help so we mods try to stay on top of that and attempt to keep the information accurate. By saying you might have given Bupe an unfair assessment we really do appreciate you saying it out loud. We support all who try to get off the medication but remember that this site is here to help addicts get on it, not off it, although we try to do both. A lot of us regulars here who have been members for years have never gotten off it. A few have and did well so we hope that they help the ones who are posting in the Stopping Suboxone section. Sometimes they come back and tell us they're back on Suboxone again due to cravings or going back to their DOC. We hate hearing that knowing they can die w/o treatment or lose everything.

So now that you're one of the successful quitters, please keep checking in from time to time to help those who are just starting the road you walked. And if you need to go back on it again, so what. You said the cravings aren't there so it makes sense you'll be good for the long term.

Thanks for posting and giving some hope to those who are struggling now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your post! If no one else has told you they're proud of you today, then I will!! I'm so proud of you! I know what you went through and how hard it was to get through the initial withdrawal and now, your daily life. I am currently on day 14 Suboxone free after using opiates or bupe daily for the past 10+ years. Between mid 2013 and 2016 I was stable at 8mgs but I relapsed late last year. Those years were undoubtedly the best years ive had in a while. I got a taste for all things beautiful in the world and finally felt alive again. During that time I had an amazing job and graduated college, I was a mother again and I was a productive member of society. Then the relapse happened and I was so down on myself. So after a few tries, I finally got stable on the sub again..
I then was blessed enough to receive the new Suboxone implant treatment and I can honestly say that it changed my life. You can find my other post about it in the introduction section. After I had the implant removed my doc asked me if I wanted some Suboxone to help me adjust(bc there's no way of knowing exactly how effective the implant still was at 6 months, so far all I knew I was jumping from 8mgs)... but To me a slow taper after not having to take sub daily, would have been a long, drawn out, painful process that I just wasn't willing to try again(I've tried many times) This time I needed to do something different.
The insomnia now is almost unbearable. I haven't slept more than 2hours a night since day 2 and I'm so exhausted. I've only been using small amounts of ibuprofen for aches and for the most part it's done is job but everything I try for sleep is useless. Melatonin, Diphenhydramine, Trazodone, meditation, lavender oil.. the list goes on and on. But it's reassuring to see that someone out there is surviving off the bupe. Although I would have loved to have read "I can finally sleep", I know that changing my life for the better is going to take some work... I'm actually happy this isn't easy because it's keeping me on the right track. Who wants to do this more than once?! Not me. Granted, I've detoxed from every other opiate under the sun besides subs (mainly fentanyl, heroin and at one time a 340mg a day oxycontin habit)... This has been the most challenging for my body and my mind due to the insomnia. Also, with the other drugs, I always had bupe to fall back on. Now the only thing I have to fall back on is my faith in myself and my will to live this day to it's fullest.

What helped you sleep? Anything? I keep saying tonight's going to be the night but I lay there until 11pm and I'm up for good by 2am. Please tell me it will get better!!!!!

I admire your strength and courage and I hope that in 6 months I can help others the way you've helped me with this post. I've found cookie cutter "detox timelines" online but haven't been able to find a first hand bupe detox account of things. So here I am!

When trying to encourage me, My boyfriend always says "You just have to want it bad enough." He isn't an addict and has never used that saying in reference to recovery but I find myself repeating it over and over in my head. I've had lengthy periods of sobriety in my past... But never without Suboxone.

Here's to another day of love and light.
Namaste

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

What a nice comment :) Sleep was also my biggest issue by far and I tried a lot of things as you did. What I did that somewhat worked was after a few nights of no sleep I'd take 1/4-1/2 of a 1mg klonopin which is a low dose but just enough to allow some sleep. I still wouldn't get but 4-5 hours but that's all I need. I'd take the klonopin 1-2 nights in a row then skip until I couldn't handle the lack of sleep again. Understand the risk of addiction to benzos if you go this route. I also vaped a lot of good weed! It along with the melatonin seemed to help but not like the benzo.

So what you're saying about this bupe implant is you're unsure of the dosage to start a taper or you really don't want to have to taper at all? What do you see as the implants advantages over a pill or film other than not having to take it daily? I can see that being an advantage since that puts you one more step away from the addict behavior of taking daily (or more) fixes.

I was really sensitive to the bupe and made it several years on only 2mg/day. Thank God I didn't have to go cold turkey but rather a slow, slow taper. I took most of a year to taper off the 2mg dose and still think I rushed it judging by how I felt. While several here have managed to successfully jump from relatively high doses the consensus seems to be to go with a super slow taper if at all possible. Also since you were on bupe so long I hope you did your homework and learned how to avoid relapse. Better to be back on bupe than risk a relapse!

If you think I can offer any help please feel free to ask.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

rule62 wrote:
So now that you're one of the successful quitters, please keep checking in from time to time to help those who are just starting the road you walked. And if you need to go back on it again, so what. You said the cravings aren't there so it makes sense you'll be good for the long term.

I intend on doing just that. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Klonopin is a no for me, but thanks for the suggestion! Last night I got about 4 and a half hours!! I'm feeling optimistic.

What I meant with the implant removal was that I had no way of knowing exactly how much Suboxone was released into my body on the day I had it removed... So it could have been 2mg, could have been 8mg. I did feel slightly off during the last 3 weeks I had it in. So my educated guess would be that it was dispensing about 4mg that last day I had it in. The withdrawal was insane but I have definitely done my homework on relapse. Along with the implant, I worked closely with my doctor, another psychologist, a "sober coach" which is essentially like a sponsor, and I had weekly sessions with mediation coaches. All of these things combined allowed me to accumulate many many coping skills that I truly believe can get me through anything.

Something happened to my brain when I COULD NOT get high anymore. Quite frankly I feel like a spoiled brat for being one of the few who have or will have this treatment... I don't want to make it sound like it's a quick fix for addiction... But I can honestly say that, for me, knowing that I couldn't use lifted the burden off my shoulders. I knew that even if I wanted to use, it was impossible, so my cravings we're gone. Literally, I can say with 100% honesty that I only had one craving while that implant was in my arm and it was the very second day. And I used... Because I wanted to know if it blocked my DOC.... and it did. Completely. Why bother craving something that won't give you the desired effect that you're addicted to??? Somewhere over the course of that first week my mind switched tracks like a train and I was able to focus all of my energy on learning how to re live life after my relapse. Getting a full time job back, seeing my son regularly, being productive, having hobbies and family and friends again! I knew that I just needed 6 months to get back on track... So here I am. The implant had many advantages for me but I'd say that that one takes the cake.

Here's to another day of love & light!
Namaste

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:18 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hey guys,

I am at 76 days since stopping the bupe. I'd like to share my sleeping status. I can sleep 6 or 7 hours now, a month ago it was 5 or 6. The issue with me is (I am 55) I work from 6 am to 2 pm. It is a physical job so it wears me down, however I have no issues making it through a day. I get home and I have to begin fighting to stay awake around 6:30 / 7 o'clock. I have been falling asleep with no problem at all. My issue is that I have a bad "window" for the time that I do sleep. I wake at 2:30 / 3 ish most days which is way too early. I managed to stay up later a few times say 10 and still woke during the same time window. I am hoping that when daylight savings comes again I will be able to adjust to a better sleep "window". Other than that I have no issues. I used Culturelle at the end of my taper and for about 2 weeks after, a months worth. I have had no digestive issues what so ever. My energy is fair, seems to be improving. I find that sitting still makes me lazy as hell. I try to do things so I am not just vegging. I find when I move around I am not groggy somehow it creates energy to complete whatever task I take on. However when night time falls I can't seem to get into a sleep cycle I desire. I am not complaining ok maybe a little but I guess the sleep I get is enough, your body seems to let you sleep when needed. Just weighing in

Take Care

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My sleep and sneezing issues slowly get better. I can't tell it week by week but when I look back over the months I see the improvement. My GI issues are gone, no more diarrhea thankfully. I now get 4-5 hours sleep average and I can get by on that fairly well. I occasionally get thru a day without a single sneeze but unfortunately that's a rare day.

At this point I'm happy with my recovery. I'll repeat that I do not think I could have quit opiates without the bupe, at least not without a lot more suffering and a much higher risk of relapse. I also quit smoking, quit drinking sugary drinks and eat better. I workout and run so altho I did waste a lot of time chasing pills I now live a healthier lifestyle.

To others seeking to quit I wish the best of luck. To all that have quit you have shown the willpower to do anything you set your mind to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:28 pm 

Thanks for posting the update fork, it is appreciated by all. My brother quit the Subutex about six months ago and sleep is still allusive. But then, he is in his upper 60's and that happens to people as they age anyway.

It sounds like you're on a really healthy path towards living a good life. As I've gotten older I've stopped the bad food, cigs, etc., like you have. Only a little ice cream at night is my bad habit still.

I remember going back to AA while I was trying to get off the pain meds. Several people there looked at me with sorrow as they explained that it might take a year or more to finally get some normalcy back into my life. What a crappy thing to hear! I left with no intention of doing it the way they did. Sought out a Suboxone doctor and the rest is history. Maybe one day I'll stop but it isn't in the near future so I don't think about it.

You continue to give hope to those still struggling. Thanks again.