It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 8 months off!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just checking in...i'm 8 months off. I was on for almost two years after 4 years of pain killers...6 years...holy hell. Anyhow, 8 months off, never going back again. Life is good.

In short the key for me was tapering slow and down to almost nothing....like crumbs. Picking a good time to jump with work and life and weather and whatever else. Excersizing a bunch helped tons. Also, every now and then i read this board. In no way, shape or form do I mean this in a snooty way but reading this section of the board helps remind me why i got off all this crap, how hard it is, and how important it is to stay off.

Taper down super low, excersize, get healthy, and get off! it's possible and it was fairly comfortable and easy the way I did it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good for you Hawker!

I'm so glad that the forum has been around long enough now to have a few members who are post-Sub treatment and doing well. I think it does give hope to other people who are wondering what life is like post-Suboxone. And I hear what you're saying about how the forum can help remind you of where you don't want to go. I feel like sticking around here has helped me keep perspective - it's too easy to forget how awful things were when I was living my addiction.

Happy Holidays, hope we see you around from time to time. We have a new section of the forum now..Suboxone in the Rearview Mirror where people can post about life post-suboxone.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:22 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Congrats to you. It's crazy because when i read your post I thought "8 months, man that's a LONG time". here I am counting days in a week. I can't even grasp the thought of being 8 months clean but I soooo look forward to it.

I have all these thoughts like
"am I going to stop feeling so dumb all the time". Meaning, i swear I've lost the ability at times to think on the fly. I have ADD which is another story and thinking on the fly always been an issue but it's so much worse now. like i've suppressed my brain functions

"Will i stop feeling content". Meaning, as much as I try to improve myself, I always feel like what i'm doing is enough. I'm 35 years old, use to be a great athlete and am now so out of shape. I'm not heavy, just not fit. I would love to get back into shape but can never find the motiviation to do it. Especially now with a 2 month old.

"Will my social anxiety get better". I went from a stage of havng so many friends, always having fun to now I'm afraid to reconnect with these people even though they would accept me with open arms. i hate that. Almost like guilt rules my life. I feel like one look and they know I'm on something. At least when I'm clean from sub, at 8 months I can feel confident that now I am NOT on something.

So many life related things I look forward to. I can imagine my life being so much better, so much happier. I couldn't see it before, but i see it now.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello hawker - it's good to see you back again! I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well. You should be very proud of yourself. And thanks for telling us how you did it (getting super low in your dosage).

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Hawker,

Great post, thanks for the update.

I'm very happy for you and wish you great success!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:33 am 
Whats up!!

Congragulations!! Thats a great accomplishment!! Hope things continue as they are for you!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah, definitely good to see one of these every now and again, following someone else's struggle threw detox is one thing but seeing someone who has remained a success for 8 months is truly another. Well done, I hope I can join the club soon. :)

Desire2GetClean - I know what you mean, I used to be the center of attention everywhere I went, even when I hardly knew anyone. I had tons of confidence and worked out all the time too but as far as the social anxiety goes I really think it's a consequence for addiction. You become sheltered because not many people can relate to you'r situation and it becomes a normality even post addiction and thats why, for me, it's been that much easier to stop talking to everyone, get clean and do my own thing. The anxiety can be broken and will soon enough for you, and as far as having the desire to workout I think the first few days are the hardest but as soon as you make that routine it seems to get easier to find motivation.

This might not be the same reasons for you but when I read you'r mentions of these issues I thought I would let you know you aren't alone and I know many other addicts who's problems mirror these as well. You're almost there, soon you will be post jump and trust me, it's closer than you think or feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Desire2getclean...good questions. I wondered a lot of the same stuff. I was a college athelete and while on pain killers I actually advanced my career big time because I could always control my mood, stayed outgoing, etc. I think the good news is over the last 8 months I have gotten back to my old self. I'm a little less outgoing than when I was beaked on OC's but the anxiety is gone, the moodiness is gone, and I'm pretty much back to being in control. Also, my motivation has returned. Suboxone sucked my motivation out. I was able to maintain my life but sure as hell didn't make much progress. Now that I'm clean...really clean I'm back to figuring out what's next. (I'm 31 by the way....31 today actually, December 23rd bday).

Also, you will stop counting the days....i had to count how many months it had been on my fingers..8 months is approx..beginning of last summer.

Diary, i'll check that link out.

Post subject: Hawker ..........
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:55 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Hawker, Glad to hear your well, I've used your " opiate blanket " comment several times , and always gave you credit so you cant sue me for plagerism !!!!! Your not bitching about energy issues so I guess you feel ok... Merry Christmas , you snooty SOB ......

Your Tramadol addicted friend,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

What's up Mike? How are things going?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations Hawker and THANK YOU for coming back to let people know you are alive and well and progressing. It is important for people to see that, including me. I am SO glad you continue to do well.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill