It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:24 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi guys,

I came off suboxone/subutex in late april after a year on it. I jumped at 0.2-0.4mg subutex. Prior to that i used heroin for 3-4 months maximum. The withdrawals seemed to last forever and i ended taking tramal for 7 days in late June, prescribed by my doctor. I realised it wasnt doing me any good, so i quickly stopped that too and as of then i've kept myself free from opiates.

Recently however i've started with naltrexone (vivitrol injection, lasts a month) but i still feel as though im in withdrawal. I believe it is all part of the PAWS. My main concerns are depression/anxiety issues, disturbed sleep and lack of concentration/focus. I've spoken to a few doctors and from what i've been told it does take up to about 6 months to get back to "normal".

I was curious as to whether anybody might have had similar experiences and any helpful advice in getting through this period or whether anyone has used naltrexone for suboxone PAWS?

Kind Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:58 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi Durden.

Congratulations on your emancipation! Yeah, I'm 7 months out and still have anxiety. I think I get depressed, but it's my self-talk that gets me through the depression. I tell myself how blessed I am to have my health, my son, and my job, so whatever I have to do, then I should be grateful for having those things regardless of how monotonous they can get. Then I'm ok. I also get this feeling like I need something and a pill would set me right (Vics were my d.o.c. until I got put me on Suboxone, couldn't come off, then checked myself into rehab to get off of it). I think that's because I have such a huge load to carry in life, but I self-indulge in exercise, quiet time, or shopping for new stuff, and that helps a lot. The feeling just goes away. I worked with my doctor. He has me on Buspar 5mg, three times daily, and a low dose of Serequel 25mg at night. My mind has a tendency to ruminate at night. So he gave me that to quiet my thoughts so I can sleep. (Yes, serequel is used in Bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia, but mostly in large doses, 300-800mg, starting low and increasing the dose slowly in those conditions). Just had to put that in there because more than likely someone's going to bring that up.

This recovery thing is tricky and I find myself doing a lot of maneuvering around in my mind to keep myself straight. Someone told me the first year we will have these feelings and it should get better from there. Just stay clean! As you know, pills, heroin, alcohol, or any of that kind of stuff is not the answer. Recovery is a strategical game. The more you play it, the better you become at it. Hang in there my friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:35 am 
New Poster
New Poster

foundhelp wrote:
Hi Durden.

Congratulations on your emancipation! Yeah, I'm 7 months out and still have anxiety. I think I get depressed, but it's my self-talk that gets me through the depression. I tell myself how blessed I am to have my health, my son, and my job, so whatever I have to do, then I should be grateful for having those things regardless of how monotonous they can get. Then I'm ok. I also get this feeling like I need something and a pill would set me right (Vics were my d.o.c. until I got put me on Suboxone, couldn't come off, then checked myself into rehab to get off of it). I think that's because I have such a huge load to carry in life, but I self-indulge in exercise, quiet time, or shopping for new stuff, and that helps a lot. The feeling just goes away. I worked with my doctor. He has me on Buspar 5mg, three times daily, and a low dose of Serequel 25mg at night. My mind has a tendency to ruminate at night. So he gave me that to quiet my thoughts so I can sleep. (Yes, serequel is used in Bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia, but mostly in large doses, 300-800mg, starting low and increasing the dose slowly in those conditions). Just had to put that in there because more than likely someone's going to bring that up.

This recovery thing is tricky and I find myself doing a lot of maneuvering around in my mind to keep myself straight. Someone told me the first year we will have these feelings and it should get better from there. Just stay clean! As you know, pills, heroin, alcohol, or any of that kind of stuff is not the answer. Recovery is a strategical game. The more you play it, the better you become at it. Hang in there my friend.

Thank you for your response,

Your story is really encouraging. I was on seroquel also (25mg at bed time), but i found it to be too sedating. I could basically sleep 16-18 hours on it, and although it helped with my anxiety issues, i feel it made me too drowsy too do anything in the office. So i stopped taking it. Now my sleep is suffering, but as they say no one ever died from a lack of sleep.

On the other issue, most of the doctors say 6 months is a good time frame to sort of get back to normal. Within a year most of the symptoms should be gone so i guess i must hang in there. It's really frustating though, that some doctors prescribing sub aren't even aware of the the duration of the withdrawal and PAWS. 6 weeks after detox, i went back to my original doctor prescribing me subs and was told i may have to stay on it for life :x
Then i went to my family GP and this forum and got the answers i was looking for..