It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey again everyone, I havnt posted since the summer but i thought i should start coming back since this talk zone literally helped save my life. Im a 23 year old male. I was on oxy 80's and roxy 30's for a good while before i switched to subs...stayed on subs for about 3 additional years with occasional relapses, tried to quit once, made it 3 weeks and went back on em. however this time was sooo different and I think the main thing was I had made it up in my mind that i was goin to do it. first 3 weeks were hell and then about day 23 I woke up and felt awesome, well better than I had felt in years. nowadays I dont even remember what it feels like to take an opiate but i remember what it feels like coming off so i dont even really have cravings. still have occasional "drug dreams" where i feel high but other than that and waking up early in a productive mood I have no lasting side effects. I lost 25 pounds coming off of them and the one thing that helped me the most during wd's was working out, running, hiking, or just go outside. Nature has a really enlightening aspect to it when your going through something like that. another thing that helped is medical grade cannabis, especially strong indica strains, I swear some good kush alleviates alot of the symptoms but dont smoke too early during wd. wait till about week 3 to start smoking cuz if not it can just intensify the bad things.

Also be ready to look at the world and the people in it differently. I thought I was in love with a girl who i intended to be with for the rest of my life and when I got clean I just simply did not feel the same as much as I wanted to. this drug can change who you are and cover up some of the best characteristics you have, but at the same time it numbs you so be ready to deal with some emotions you havnt felt in awhile. Much love to everyone on this site, your encouragement was really what i think the difference was this time, its awesome to know your not alone in this fight, thanks to all of you!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Maryland410 wrote:
Hey again everyone, I havnt posted since the summer but i thought i should start coming back since this talk zone literally helped save my life. Im a 23 year old male. I was on oxy 80's and roxy 30's for a good while before i switched to subs...stayed on subs for about 3 additional years with occasional relapses, tried to quit once, made it 3 weeks and went back on em. however this time was sooo different and I think the main thing was I had made it up in my mind that i was goin to do it. first 3 weeks were hell and then about day 23 I woke up and felt awesome, well better than I had felt in years. nowadays I dont even remember what it feels like to take an opiate but i remember what it feels like coming off so i dont even really have cravings. still have occasional "drug dreams" where i feel high but other than that and waking up early in a productive mood I have no lasting side effects. I lost 25 pounds coming off of them and the one thing that helped me the most during wd's was working out, running, hiking, or just go outside. Nature has a really enlightening aspect to it when your going through something like that. another thing that helped is medical grade cannabis, especially strong indica strains, I swear some good kush alleviates alot of the symptoms but dont smoke too early during wd. wait till about week 3 to start smoking cuz if not it can just intensify the bad things.

Also be ready to look at the world and the people in it differently. I thought I was in love with a girl who i intended to be with for the rest of my life and when I got clean I just simply did not feel the same as much as I wanted to. this drug can change who you are and cover up some of the best characteristics you have, but at the same time it numbs you so be ready to deal with some emotions you havnt felt in awhile. Much love to everyone on this site, your encouragement was really what i think the difference was this time, its awesome to know your not alone in this fight, thanks to all of you!

Congratulations on getting to this place! You sound like you're doing very well. If you want to stay clean and you are dedicated to it, you can do it.

I'm off Sub now too after nearly six years on. It's been six months for me, and I feel way different...it's not a physically striking thing. It's more like my brain was halfway snoozing in a sly way that was easy to overlook. I guess it's on an emotional level, like you said. Such a surprise....

As far as the cannabis goes, I will go out on a limb and say I fully agree with you. Benzos and antidepressants are frequently prescribed for people going through Sub w/d. Man, that stuff can bite you *hard*. If smoking weed can allow people to avoid some of those meds, it's a better choice, IMO. The only problems is that it is illegal, unless you can get a medicinal card. Obviously, everyone needs to take it seriously and keep honest with themselves, but it's really a lot safer than many of the scripted drugs we are given.

Rock on, Maryland 410. I'm really proud of you for going the distance and here's to living life to the fullest.

LT

Post subject: ladder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ladder- thanks so much, I specifically remember so many of your posts and lets just say they helped me a great deal. and that is so freakin' awesome about 6 months! go on with your bad self and kick life's ass like we were meant to do, and know that your words have had a positive affect on so many on this forum... thanks again and keep up the good work!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Damn good job Maryland!!

I remember your posts and I, too, congratulate you. 9 months.....that's awesome!!!!

I completely agree with what you said about nature looking or feeling different, I experienced that too.

Thanks for coming back and updating us.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Maryland410 wrote:
I thought I was in love with a girl who i intended to be with for the rest of my life and when I got clean I just simply did not feel the same as much as I wanted to.!

Can relate a lot to that. You probably WERE in love with her. It's just when we're on a drug like Suboxone, or any mind-altering drug for that matter, we really are different people. The person you were on Sub likely loved your girl. Only when you came off it, you changed into the YOU without opioids in your system. You would likely have had to learn to love your girl all over again, or moved on.

I know this all too well. Having bipolar, I'm virtually a different person from week to week. I can come to love someone when my mood is a certain way, but feel totally detached and attracted to another kind of person completely a week/day/month later. It can make things hard.

You are doing REALLY well. Keep it up man, and don't lose sight of the prize! A real good, healthy rewarding and happy life for yourself is there if you keep putting in the work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ive been on subs for 4 years and was using everyother opiate for 7 years prior to that. I was forced to quit a couple times when I was incarcerated. The entire time I was locked up I could stop thinking about it. After release I relapsed. Tried quitting one time since, and I made it 13 days. I never tapered, and I tried cold turkey. The withdrawal symptoms were severe, and I was unable to sleep for 2 weeks. I was about to commit myself to a psych ward, when I called the dr to get another RX.

Neways, Ive been seriously thinking about quitting, and Joined this forum to help me out in the process. To share and read stories from people who have experienced these things is priceless. I think you would be a great help in my recovery. I have enjoyed cannabis medicinally (monthly) for the last 12 years, and I think Ive heard similar stories of it helping with kicking the pills.
I enjoy a nice sativa uplifting buzz, and I look forward to the day of getting this monkey off my back, and thoroughly enjoying life and my family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:52 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I haven't smoked for awhile, but I found that weed really did help the later withdrawals. When I used pods alot I would usually smoke and have a beer on the 4th or 5th day and that would give me a break. However, I would also drink early into the withdrawal and I now realize that was not doing me any favors. I think a beer is okay with dinner (at least if you can get something down), but that is it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Maryland410 wrote:

Awesome. Awesome and more Awesome bro.

Congrats man.