It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi all,

First off, I'm proud that I am even able to say that I have clean time at all. For a while I thought I'd never break the bupe cycle. I began suboxone treatment in 2006 after desperately wanting off methadone (used methadone to get off H & oxycontin.. and so it goes.) I had a doctor that just never urged me to taper and get off and being the addict that I am, I always put it off. It wasn't until last year that I filly switched doctors and this new doc held me accountable and helped me slowly taper down. All in all I am now clean after 10 years of some form of opiates. I'm 32 so that's a good portion of my life. Anyway, I can't say that I'm depressed. I've been experiencing life for what feels like the first time. I laugh harder than I've ever laughed before. I enjoy my friends & coworkers. I'd say I was more anxiety ridden & depressed while on sub, so being off it has changed things for me tremendously. I don't have anxiety anymore, that's a big deal for me. But I am experiencing a lack of motivation and my general stamina is not where it should be. I get so easily tired from doing things that I used to love. I know this is all part of the deal and was to be expected.. I'm more or less just venting. I know it could take a while, especially considering how long I was on sub for and how high my dose was for the majority of those years but I long to be normal again. I want my energy and focus back but I know only time will heal those wounds.

As much as I cursed sub for those last few years and would have given my right arm for an easy way out, I do owe my life to them, in fairness. I've held a good job for these past 6 years, have a great husband.. a good life. Before treatment I was on the streets doing whatever I could to get high. So I just wanted to give credit where credit is due. Knowing what I know now, I would have done things differently but I am lucky to be where I am at this moment.

Last edited by tinydancer on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi tinydancer, welcome to the forum and congrats on 2.5 months off Sub, that's teriffic.

I hear you about hindsight, and realizing that you could have/would have done things differently, but I guess all we can do is make the best choices we can with the information we have available at the time. It sounds like you have a pretty good attitude about the time you spent on Sub though - I think it's healthy to be able to see both the positives and negatives.

The energy/focus/motivation thing should continue to improve with time...though I noticed that sometimes I would feel better for a while, like nearly 100% normal, and then I might have a recurrence of the blarg feeling. I am pretty prone to depression and apathy though, since long before I ever tried opiates, so I've had to figure out other ways of managing those tendencies.

I'm glad to hear that you're laughing and enjoying your friends too - that's so important to staying clean (in my opinion). I hope you stick around and make some friends here too - we have a pretty great group of supportive people on the forum.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum tinydancer,

I wanted to extend my congratulations to you too!! 2.5 months off of Suboxone, way to go!!!

I experienced the lack of motivation and craptacular stamina too. I waited and waited and waited for it to come back on its own, but it was taking forever, so I started exercising and WHAMO, things really started improving then.

If you do decide to do some exercise, start out light and go from there. Trying to gain back all of your stamina and motivation in one weeks worth of workouts (like I did. LOL) isn't the best way.

You have a super attitude, I think that'll help you along quite a bit.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you for your replies and support.

I guess I shouldn't be too hasty. I am not fully over wd symptoms yet. The worst of it is definitely over but I still get random chills, sneezing, tearing & the faintest bit or RLS (nothing that an advil or two can't cure.) Nothing that I can't handle but it tells me that my body is still adjusting. It just feels like forever, you know?

Romeo- I was in to yoga before quitting subs. I took a break for a few weeks during the early part of jumping off but I've since started again. Light yoga of course. I can't do what I used to do before. =( I went to class last night that kicked my butt. I could not hold the poses for more than 30 seconds or so, my body strength just isn't there. It was a bit frustrating. The important thing is I'm trying.. I have private classes on tuesdays and thursdays. I see a lot of people post about how exorcising gives them a rush and makes them feel better, well it just makes me tired. I'm not there yet but I'm going through the motions anyway because I know it's good for me.

My diet is good, no fast food.. eat mostly organic.. so I have that part down. The only thing I can't kick is coffee, it's my ONLY vice right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Remember when I said I waited and waited before starting exercising.....I waited well over a year!! That's probably why I felt such a dramatic change in my mood when I started exercising.

You're 2.5 months into it, so it makes perfect sense that you're not quite there yet. I can tell you this, though.....if you stick with it, you will eventually get to feeling better, but you are right, it seems to take forever.

Just keep plugging away at that yoga, keep eating right, keep doing the next right thing and you'll get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:55 am 

Tinydancer, congratulations on being off sub for 2.5 months! That's nothing to sneeze at (even though we still do :)! I know that you'll get back to normal physically at some point, and I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying life much more than you did on sub. I'm also very glad to hear that you're not feeling depressed now that you're off sub! For some it seems that the depression can be overwhelming after weaning off sub. The fact that you're dealing well emotionally is a great sign!

Continue to hang around here and we will do whatever we can to help you!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you Amy!

Doing well today. Was in europe for 3 weeks and dealing with jetlag when I first posted. I think my general crappy feeling had more to do with jetlag than anything else. As soon as I got adjusted and sleeping back on track, I felt so much better. My energy is fairly normal the past few days.

I'm not going anywhere. I've been through a lot and am determined to give back whatever/ wherever I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hows it going tiny,

im just curious how your still doing off the suboxone. i hope your finally getting you energy and motivation back. its been a bit over a month for me and i too am struggling with this. but if you made it overseas then things have gotta be going pretty well for you i hope.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Downtime,

Thanks for asking! I was going to follow up here after the new year which would have put me at 5 months. I'm doing great. I finally feel like I'm where I should be, energy wise and emotionally. I can finally clean the house, do laundry, focus at work.. etc. All that stuff seemed comparable to climbing mount everest only a month or two back. I'm really, really good these days and more importantly consistently feeling feeling good. I believe I've finally evened out.. I had the flu a couple weeks ago which brought back a little reminder of what it's like to detox and I was so happy when I got better.

HANG IN THERE!! It is so worth it. Hopefully it will be even shorter recovery time for you. Message me if you ever need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Today marks 5 months. Still a roller coaster ride but I'm hanging on tight. I keep getting sick which makes everything harder. I got the flu last month and a cold a few days ago which is only getting worse. Other than that, I'm doing pretty well. Keeping it short but wanted to check in.

Happy new year to everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations on 5 months!!!!!

I think it was about a year ago, some other members and I were discussing how we were getting sick a lot when we quit Suboxone. I can't for the life of me remember the thread, though? Anyway, I believe it was somewhere around the year mark that the "getting sick a lot" thing wore off.

Keep hanging in there!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
Congratulations on 5 months!!!!!

I think it was about a year ago, some other members and I were discussing how we were getting sick a lot when we quit Suboxone. I can't for the life of me remember the thread, though? Anyway, I believe it was somewhere around the year mark that the "getting sick a lot" thing wore off.

Keep hanging in there!!

I remember reading that thread! I just got sick again. This makes 3 times in 3 months. My coworkers and family think it's unbelievable. If anyone is sick near me, I catch it. I feel like I'm being put to the test.. The good news is I'm fighting everything off fairly quickly. No lingering coughs for weeks on end. Still, I can't take much more. I hope this is it for this season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:59 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hey TD,

I really like your avatar name, very nice.

Hey, isnpt it funny when your own done or bupe, that you rarely get sick.
I only got one flu in 5 years, and never really ever got a cold.

I think something intersting is going on here. I always wondered why I never got sick, when everyone around me, was suffering.
I guess, its the good and the bad.

I am glad to hear that your only symptoms are low immune system, which sounds to be improving.

I reckon, it is just something you have to go through with, only once, and it sounds, like your through it.

Yeah, 5 months, I hear ya.
So you had lethargy, for the long haul, it sounds like,. Would you ,mind sharing, a quick timeline of your symptoms, and how they dissapeared, or is there a link, that you may kindly share?

Good on you, for completely such a massive struggle, You have my deepest respect, as you must be a real fighter.
You have to be, to go through months of shite.

Love HS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Hope-

I like your screen name, too! Yeah, I hear you. I can recall one or two times that I got sick in the last 8 years. It really is weird. Now I paying the price, though. Haha.

I never did an official timeline or detox thread. I couldn't even bring myself to discuss tapering or joining a website like this while on suboxone because I had such anxiety surrounding it. I had a lot of fear about the idea of jumping off. Then when I finally did jump off, every bit of energy I had went into either taking care of myself or work. It wasn't until a couple months in that I felt ok to share my story and I realize that I haven't done a good job of that. I leave bits and pieces all over the board but nothing substantial.

Here goes..

My last year of suboxone was a messy taper from 14mg to 1.5mg. Really the last two months were about getting from 6mg to 1.5. I stabilized at 1.5. Then I only took .5mg on my last day, then nothing. I wasn't looking up help online because I'd have panic attacks when I'd read some people's experiences, so I stayed away from any info other than the help of my doctor and just figured it out on my own. That is partly why I am here, I wish I had read more positive stories rather than all the bad ones I happen to see first. Ok, so that's how I jumped. Here is kind of a play by play that will be easy to follow.

(I should note that my doctor gave me a benzo and something called neurontin to help with my symptoms. This is not for everyone and in the end, I am not entirely sure how much it helped me. I used these meds for the first few weeks and that was it. It did help with sleep but other than that..? I don't know.)

Day 1 - I remember thinking I would be sick day one as I could usually feel my sub running out the day I would take it. So I thought there was no way I would make it past the first day. I was never one that could skip days. Day one was surprisingly easy. I was a little sweaty and tired but over all, fine.

Days 2&3 - Pretty mild. Sweaty, lethargic, RLS. Overall amazed that I got this far. The joy of thinking that I had done it was helping me through the craptastic feeling. On day 3 (thinking I had gone through the worst of it.. LOL, I sent my doctor flowers and thanked him for helping me thru. That still cracks me up to this day. Sleep during the first couple weeks was never that bad, probably because of the meds. In the begining, I had a hard time sleeping past 4 or 5am which sucked but I always fell asleep at a decent time so the total amount of sleep I was getting was pretty solid. Sleep quickly evened out for me, even after discontinuing the benzo/ meds. I got lucky in that department. When I did wake up, which I did, I would take a hot bath and then jump back in bed. It usually worked. Also, I always started my morning with a hot bath and some music.

Days 4-30 - Again, I remained sweaty, hot & cold, lethargic, RLS, sneezing, and frequent trips to the bathroom throughout. I never had cramping diarrhea at all but I did (and still do) go to the bathroom several times a day. I don't mind it though because it's a nice contrast to not going to the bathroom for years. TMI? While I did suffer from all these symptoms through this time period (and even longer), the symptoms were not severe. Annoying yes, but I could deal with them. This period of time is more foggy even though I felt really clear for the first time. This is when I started truly laughing, really enjoying people's company again, crying during a sad song or movies.. Just really bathing in all my emotions and letting them run free. I used music during this time, morning, noon and night. I worked through my detox because I have an office job and could at least manage to sit at my desk. It was hard though. The entire first month and half of my detox, I had to keep a heater in my office and my door closed. I was cold all the time, unbearably cold. People would come in to hand me something and would comment on how hot it was my office, but I couldn't get it hot enough. I had chills all the time. I was sneezing all the time. I was always sweaty. But I kept on going. I had to tell my coworkers I was sick because clearly something was going on. Focusing on work was extremely hard during this time. I just didn't have the energy but I soon discovered that if I had my ear buds in and listened to music, I could get some momentum and power through. This saved my career I think. I also developed a crazy caffeine habit during this time. I've heard it's not good but I needed energy so bad, I didn't care. I have an espresso maker in my office and if I could have hooked up an IV, I would have. (I have passed the crazy coffee stage. I now just drink a cup or two in the mornings only.)
** I used massages like they were going out of style. I forgot to mention this. Want to end any discomfort during this time? Book a massage, any massage, a cheap massage. It was a really nice treat and truly the only real time my body felt GOOD during this time.

Month 2 - The first couple weeks of september was really more of the same but the symptoms had lessened gradually. Third week of september I left for a trip to europe. Istanbul, Greece and Italy. The traveling was both good and bad. It helped to take my mind of the whole withdrawal process and what I had been through. I was stimulated and was constantly tiring myself out daily. We walked.. and walked.. and walked all day every day. Sight seeing and what not. This was the hard part. I did not have the stamina for the amount of walking and standing we were doing. I was very easily tired, and not just a lazy tired but an "I need to sit down right now" kind of tired. Every chance I could get I would find a seat somewhere to just give my legs a break. That part was tough because I'm normally a walker and can easily keep up with my family but I was dying! The trip was amazing though and it was SOOOOO nice to do it without any drugs in my system. My family was making me laugh the entire time, like big long belly laughs. I was on subxone for our previous Europe trip in '09 (Italy, Paris, Spain) and it wasn't the same. Still great but just not the same.

Month 3 - Back to working and regular life. Thought I'd be 100% back to normal after doing the whole europe thing but realized I still was not running on a full battery. Very minor symptoms but there nonetheless. I think the biggest hurdle during this time was still the motivation/ energy thing. It was coming back some days and other days I would feel like I was back to square one. I did notice improvement overall though. Other symptoms were slight RLS at times if I was sitting still for too long, sneezing, yawning, watery eyes. Not too shabby.

Month 4 - Mostly the same as month 3 except gradually getting better. I had another trip during this month, this time to hawaii. The months I had trips were easiest. Time passed by quicker and staying busy is always best. The sun and warm water was really healing for me too. I also found that having a trip to look forward to (or anything!) really helped getting through the harder days.

Month 5 - Any minor lingering symptoms were fading. The only symptoms that I still have to this day is a bit of yawning and teary eyes. This was december, so I had a holiday break to look forward to. That and I kept pretty busy shopping for gifts and spending time with family.

Month 6 - I did just start to experience a bit of depression during this month. I can't say for certain if it's PAWS or if it is related to my current situation, which it very well could be. My husband travels for work and has had an extra long shoot schedule this month. It's been hard having him gone all month and he was gone for most of december too. So the accumulation of travel days is starting to wear on me. He usually leaves for a week here and a week there. Also, I've been trying to get pregnant (which is especially hard when my hubby is gone..lol) Other than that, I feel great. Couldn't be happier.. excited for the future.

I am still not 100% motivation wise but I think that just takes more time. Also, as I've noted above, I've been sick several times. So that could be playing a role. I feel like I'm either sick or getting over being sick and that is draining on the body. I think once it starts to warm up again and the sun is out, I will want to get outside and do things. For now, I like to curl up and relax in my free time. I still do work outs a few mornings a week to keep the blood flowing but I really should be more on top of that too.

Month 7 - TBD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:02 am 

Awesome progress, TD!!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:08 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you for taking the time to share all that! It's very helpful! You should be really proud of what you've accomplished!
I also wanted to add that I really respect the fact that you took the time and went through this process before pursuing a pregnancy. It's the first of many selfless acts required of being the best mother one can be, in my opinion.
I mean no disrespect to those who are now or have already chosen to proceed with getting pregnant while on a maintenance program. I commend them too for their efforts. So please don't take offense.
I just feel in my heart that choosing to have a baby is a huge commitment that should at least deserve more thought and planning and preparation than say, buying a house or a new car. We don't usually hear people say that they had an unplanned car or house purchase, or that they weren't able to delay such a commitment until they were truly prepared. You know?
I concede that's probably not the best comparison. And I know it's not a perfect world and stuff happens. And we have to just roll with stuff sometimes. Further, I believe that planning does not in and of itself determine who's going to be the best parents...that's for darn sure! So again, please don't take my words the wrong way.
I just wanted to give Tinydancer a big thumbs up for her determination to do her best to just eliminate whatever variables she can that might impact her future baby.
Anyway, just good for you!! I'll be praying that you'll be pregnant soon...and that your husband will be home when the timings right!
Thanks again for sharing. You give me hope that I, too, will eventually be able to sustain my sobriety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:46 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

TinyDancer,

Wow,
Thanks or sharing, i do feel for your reasons to avoid, such a cathardic release.
I was comparing you and me today, before you just answered everything just then,

Thank you so much, for that, it means more than great deal to shed some more light, on this crazy beast.

Yeah, that timeframe/symptom path sounds pretty inline with me, thus far.

Thanks for a sweet roadmap, for all of us.

Being 1 month, I feel a bit fragile at times, and am getting used to the ups and the downs,.

HS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hopespring wrote:
TinyDancer,

Wow,
Thanks or sharing, i do feel for your reasons to avoid, such a cathardic release.
I was comparing you and me today, before you just answered everything just then,

Thank you so much, for that, it means more than great deal to shed some more light, on this crazy beast.

Yeah, that timeframe/symptom path sounds pretty inline with me, thus far.

Thanks for a sweet roadmap, for all of us.

Being 1 month, I feel a bit fragile at times, and am getting used to the ups and the downs,.

HS

Yeah, you are right in the thick of the ups & downs. Fragile is a great word for it. But it only gets better, albeit gradually. Nothing happens overnight during this whole process. That's what I've learned anyway. TD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Barelyboxed wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to share all that! It's very helpful! You should be really proud of what you've accomplished!
I also wanted to add that I really respect the fact that you took the time and went through this process before pursuing a pregnancy. It's the first of many selfless acts required of being the best mother one can be, in my opinion.
I mean no disrespect to those who are now or have already chosen to proceed with getting pregnant while on a maintenance program. I commend them too for their efforts. So please don't take offense.
I just feel in my heart that choosing to have a baby is a huge commitment that should at least deserve more thought and planning and preparation than say, buying a house or a new car. We don't usually hear people say that they had an unplanned car or house purchase, or that they weren't able to delay such a commitment until they were truly prepared. You know?
I concede that's probably not the best comparison. And I know it's not a perfect world and stuff happens. And we have to just roll with stuff sometimes. Further, I believe that planning does not in and of itself determine who's going to be the best parents...that's for darn sure! So again, please don't take my words the wrong way.
I just wanted to give Tinydancer a big thumbs up for her determination to do her best to just eliminate whatever variables she can that might impact her future baby.
Anyway, just good for you!! I'll be praying that you'll be pregnant soon...and that your husband will be home when the timings right!
Thanks again for sharing. You give me hope that I, too, will eventually be able to sustain my sobriety.

Thank you, I appreciate it. This was something that was important to me, personally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:16 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Quite possibly the most helpful post I have ever come across on getting off subs.
I have been on over 5 years and so ready to be done, but so scared. I have a 7 yr old daughter(very busy girl she is) that I had while clean...after her birth, I developed a nasty pain killer addiction. I never knew what sub was when I agreed to take it. Anyhow, my husband works all the time and we have no family around...no one even knows about the sub use. Its kinda sad, but all my friends and family...even my own sub doctor call me"the most normal person they know"...It is such a lie.
I am worried that I will not be able to get off the subs becasue I will have no help...driving my daughter to school, horseback riding lessons, soccer...girl scouts. All those things..there is no way. I also have sever anxiety, but the last year I have been able to control the panic attacks to a degree. The only time I have tried stopping the suboxone, was by default...I took more then I was supposed to and ran out while my doc was out of town(from taking 16-24 mg a day!) It was the worst week of my life....I really dont know I survived it.
After a recent upset and unbearably hard decision I had to make, I have decided I must get off. I am on 4 mg of subutex now and am going to try to get as low as possible. I am looking into rapid detox as well, but not sure I;d be a good candidate with my anxiety and heart murmur. Thank you again for sharing your story and a glimmer of hope. I wish the best for you and pray that you will become pregnant very soon. You will be an amazing mother, and I have the upmost respect for you getting clean first.