It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Whilst I was in a residental rehab program in Australia, we were taught that 95% of recovering addicts who remain clean for 24 months will stay clean indefinitely. 24 months was, in their opinion, a good goal to aim for. Of course this should be broken down into smaller goals should this at first seem out of reach.

While a person who reaches this milestone should never consider themselves "in the clear" - there should always be a degree of vigilance - they have still reached a point where their brain has restored its normal balance, any remnants of PAWS should be pretty much gone, and most importantly the coping mechanisms should be well and truly entrenched into one's behaviours and lifestyle.

I relapsed at 13 months once. The reason behind it I see today as being a relapse into my mental health issues -> relapse into addiction. I now know that 12 months clean is nowhere near close to the point of being in safer territory.

Anyway, given that I was 13 months last time, next time I'm off all opiates, including suboxone, I'm going to make 2 years my goal.

What do you guys think as having 2 years as your first major goal in recovery?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think you should take it one day at a time! Then make it your life goal to be done. Just keep telling yourself that it is poison. Would you drink a gallon of Muriatic acid, or a gallon of drain cleaner? Acids and bases baby! No way! So just remember, that great high you feel isn't worth the pain and suffering of wd. Besides, you can be high on life really. Start laughing at anything ridiculous, and then just keep laughing. It feels so good. Best of luck to you. Stay strong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:27 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was think pretty close to the same thing.... maybe just take it day by day. Making it one day free of opiates then work on the second day. Right now it too far ahead to think of being two yrs cean,... got to make one day first. Since you on the sub take this time to learn why you relapsed, face the fear or what every emtion that you dont want to deal with or dont know how.

If I was in your shoe I would take this time while on sub to build a support system, learn about addiction, Learn what works and what doesnt work. Why preceeded your last relapse? What could/should you of done differently? Two yrs from now is way too far away to be thinking about.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think its ok to have 2 years as long time goal. I know the common advice is "one day @ time", allso posted here, and i think that really is the best advice during the periodes while tapering and detoxing because time seems to stretch out at that point. It`s really a peculiar thing, psykological time - one hour feels like 5 when you are having w/d`s, but when you sit at 6 months+ off opiate a whole week can just go puff, gone. Maybe work on one day at the time, when things seems difficult but at the same time look foreward to 2 years off?

As for the 95% succes rate for people with two years cleantime, i honestly doubt that, but i can only speak anecdotally. From my pow i would say 50-60% makes it from 2 years to 10 years, but i have no data to build that on, only what ive seen.
The only other time ive been clean for the past~20ish years, i actually made it too almost 3 years(2001-2004), before boredom and too high thinking about my own limits made me relapse. I can say this though, for me the first year off opiate, didnt represent being 100% cured(speaking about mentally issues); i remember the second year+ as a gradually better and better time. Lots of friends, lots of social life, jumping out of bed in morning, travelling europe etc etc.
Keeps me wonder why i relapsed and why opiate still connected so perfectly.
I mean if you sit at almost 3 years, enjoying every day, how come it still can be so attractive to be cool as popsicle?

Enjoying reading your posts tearjerker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

birdie wrote:
Since you on the sub take this time to learn why you relapsed, face the fear or what every emtion that you dont want to deal with or dont know how.

The reason I relapsed was because I stopped taking my mood stabilisers. Even though my sponsor told me I didn't need meds cos the "magic of the steps" was treating all my mental health issues, I won't blame him cos I wanted to find out once and for all if I truly had an illness or whether it was the drugs.

Come April 2008 I fell into a paranoid depression, some in NA - which was my foundation for recovery at the time - were accusing me of using because I was a bit NQR at the time. My new life's wheels were falling off, and I was in a new city with no family around for support. The paranoia got to the point where I lost trust in my sponsor and my NA peers. I dropped out of Uni (for the 100th time) and sought help from the local psych hospital. The doc put me on an anti-depressant, which worked pretty much straight away. I felt so good, really good. I felt like Charlie Sheen. I was winning. I was buzzing too much. I couldn't sleep, I was talking non-stop. People at NA thought I was on speed now. Then I used heroin to try and bring me down. Then came the real controversies and dramas.

Quote:
As for the 95% succes rate for people with two years cleantime, i honestly doubt that, but i can only speak anecdotally. From my pow i would say 50-60% makes it from 2 years to 10 years, but i have no data to build that on, only what ive seen.

While I was attending meetings over about a 3 year period I noticed this as well. Either this means that 95% is too optimistic a figure, or that people who attend meetings are more prone to relapse after reaching this milestone than people who have done it alone. This might make sense given that NA keeps people exposed to drug culture through shares, people stoned / dealing at meetings and when peers relapse, people who otherwise would have moved on in their lives completely,. Also, people who attend meetings are the ones who have generally tried to do it alone and failed, and thus are the ones who are genuinely "powerless".

I've had some bad experiences in the rooms, as you can tell, so my opinion towards them ain't that glowing at the moment. I wish it could work for me but unfortunately whenever I go to a meeting these days, I leave wanting to use more than when I arrive. Considering they helped me get more clean time up than I ever had, this is a real shame.