It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 4 Month Taper Plan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been on subs for about a year now, lost my job recently and along with it my health insurance, so I'm naturally trying to taper off, never really wanted to be on them long-term anyway I was just too out of control with the Roxy's. Luckily for me I lost my job right after I got a refill (script is for 16/mg a day but I hardly ever ate that much as I was thankfully trying to reduce my intake as it was; I was down in the 4mg/day range when I lost my job about 2 weeks ago).

I have a decent amount left (about 45 8mg pills) and my doctor also prescribes me 6mg Xanax a day, which I generally don't use all of and are dirt cheap generic so I will be able to keep getting those during the taper. Right now I'm balancing out at about 2mg/day, was rough as I dropped down abruptly but the fact I wasn't going to be able to afford more is keeping my motivation up.

I'm thinking for the first month since I'm not 100% adjusted to the 2mg/day level yet I'll stick with that for a week or so, then try alternating between taking 1mg a day and 2mg a day to hopefully get down to 1mg/day by the end of the second month.

Following a similar plan to drop to 0.5 and 0.25mg I should be down to 0.25mg/day by January. Part of me wants to get it over faster since I'll need to be looking for new jobs and all that and have the Xanax to help me out, so I'm debating trying to stop once I'm stable at 1mg/day and see if I can tough it but I guess we'll see how hard it gets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey KeithRichards - welcome to the forum. Sorry you lost your job and health insurance, that sucks. I hope your search for a new job goes quickly.

It's good that you have a decent amount of Sub to taper off with. Your plan sounds pretty solid, we've had other people do well with the alternate-day-dosing type of taper. And you seem like you're willing to be flexible so that's good. When you get down to 1mg, if you do decide to jump from there, just remember that you can always go back on and finish your taper if it gets too rough. You'll proabably even be able to go back on at a lower dose so it won't be all for nothing.

Lots of people have quit from 1mg or even higher and managed to stick it out through the withdrawals. It's the part that comes after that gets tricky. So having some kind of plan for how to stay off opiates is probably a good idea.

If you read through some of the tapering and jumping stories on the forum you'll find lots of good ideas for how to deal with withdrawal symptoms. The xanax will help, but it can also cause rebound anxiety, but it sounds like you're already familiar with the medication so you probably know that. Clonidine can also be really helpful if you have access to it, it's a blood pressure med that helps with opiate withdrawal.

Best of luck to you in your taper and job search. At least you don't have to work while you go through this - I know one big reason why I tapered so slowly was because I just didn't have the ability to be out of it for a week or two, I had to be able to work and function. Keep us posted as to how things go and I'm sure you'll get lots of support. The forum is pretty slow tonight, but I'm sure the regulars will be around tomorrow.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just wanted to say that 6mg is a pretty high dose of Xanax. Have you been on that for a long time? That will have its own nasty ass withdrawal. But I don't know your scoop so disregard if I'm out of line.

I like you taper plan to go to .25, I wouldn't rush it honestly. If u have enough subs, get nice and low and stay there for a few weeks so your brain can adjust and then jump. That's my opinion. Welcome to the Board.

Good luck Keith

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the welcomes & advice guys. I know the xanax level is high and have gone through benzo WDs before and while it sucks big time it's over in a few days, so I'll cross that bridge when the time comes. I haven't been getting the 6mg/day for very long (doctor upped it from 4mg maybe 2 months ago) and I on average actually take about 3-4mg a day. Sometimes it's been a little more with the stress from losing my job and cutting down the sub, but since I'm almost balanced at the 2mg sub/day level now I'm gonna work on reducing that as low as I can while at the 2mg/sub a day level before the next sub drop since I have enough to extend the taper if I need to.

I'm concerned that if I try to stop the benzos completely while weaning off the sub that I might relapse on other opiates, so I'm working on reducing my level of them as much as possible so I'll get as much help as I can when I drop the sub level, but I'll still feel decent enough where I won't be tempted to relapse (I've found that for me personally since it varies, on a daily dose of 1mg/sub for day I have little trouble breaking through the barrier with other opiates, which I want to avoid).

I'll probably try stopping the subs when I'm stable at 1mg and see if I can hold out, like you said worst thing that can happen is I go back on at an even lower dose and resume the taper; it looks like Clonidine is available generic and is cheap also, so I gotta look into that for the later stages of the taper, thanks for the tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Saw your post about the liquid too, was definitely having issues getting them into smaller pieces than quarters or so and I usually wake up pretty crappy so I just made a batch of the liquid and am hoping a smaller amount will do the trick since it'll kick in later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Update - I think I tried reducing to 2mg/day a little too fast; before I lost my job while I was trying to cut back I wasn't nearly as strict about it as I am now and as a result since I've been taking my dose in the AM I feel crappy at night and have been waking up feeling terrible every day.

Last night I took an extra 1mg and this morning I took 1mg instead of 2, going to try split doses and see if that helps and from there I'm going to try skipping the evening dose when I think I can manage it or reduce to something like .8mg so I'm still tapering but don't have to wake up feeling like garbage everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:24 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Splitting your dose is smart. I read from Dr. J. somewhere that as you get into smaller doses that they wear off faster. Not sure if 2 mg would be small enough to wear out faster, but I will say that I used to dose 3 times a day and that made tapering easier.

What worked for me was after you get stable at 2 mg per day, once you've been on exactly 2 mg a day for 4 days, reduce your dose to something like 1.75 mg/day. I felt that splitting this into 2 or 3 doses per day really helped. Do that for 4 days. If you can't handle it, do 2 mg for a day and then try to do the 1.75 again the next day. Once you have gone 4 whole days without having to do an extra, take it down to 1.5. Do the same thing you did for previous dose -- make it 4 days without reducing to 1.25. I found that going from 1.5 to 1.25 was the hardest.

Then after you can go 4 days on that without dosing extra, move it down to 1. Once you are stable at 1 mg, maybe let yourself go a few more days than 4 if you feel you are not ready to go any lower. Wait until you are mentally ready, because at this point you probably have the option of jumping if you don't have the patience to taper any lower. At 1 mg/day you would have withdraws but if you are tough you will be just fine. Try going down to .75. If you can go 4 days with no extras, go down to .5. If you can go 4 days without extra, go to .3. Now at .3 you probably won't be able to cut them very well so maybe you'll only dose once per day. At this point if you jumped you would probably be safe with only minor withdraws. But I don't know, I never made it past day 6 because I started being mentally unstable but that was probably just me, there are plenty people here that do it and they are mentally fine. Your xanax will probably help you very much. Physically you will have just minor withdraws for 3 days.

Good luck with the taper. You definitely have enough pills/strips to make it. And you definitely have time to quit by the end of the year. You can look forward to starting a new year with a new job and a new life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

invisiblemovement wrote:
Splitting your dose is smart. I read from Dr. J. somewhere that as you get into smaller doses that they wear off faster. Not sure if 2 mg would be small enough to wear out faster, but I will say that I used to dose 3 times a day and that made tapering easier.

What worked for me was after you get stable at 2 mg per day, once you've been on exactly 2 mg a day for 4 days, reduce your dose to something like 1.75 mg/day. I felt that splitting this into 2 or 3 doses per day really helped. Do that for 4 days. If you can't handle it, do 2 mg for a day and then try to do the 1.75 again the next day. Once you have gone 4 whole days without having to do an extra, take it down to 1.5. Do the same thing you did for previous dose -- make it 4 days without reducing to 1.25. I found that going from 1.5 to 1.25 was the hardest.

Then after you can go 4 days on that without dosing extra, move it down to 1. Once you are stable at 1 mg, maybe let yourself go a few more days than 4 if you feel you are not ready to go any lower. Wait until you are mentally ready, because at this point you probably have the option of jumping if you don't have the patience to taper any lower. At 1 mg/day you would have withdraws but if you are tough you will be just fine. Try going down to .75. If you can go 4 days with no extras, go down to .5. If you can go 4 days without extra, go to .3. Now at .3 you probably won't be able to cut them very well so maybe you'll only dose once per day. At this point if you jumped you would probably be safe with only minor withdraws. But I don't know, I never made it past day 6 because I started being mentally unstable but that was probably just me, there are plenty people here that do it and they are mentally fine. Your xanax will probably help you very much. Physically you will have just minor withdraws for 3 days.

Good luck with the taper. You definitely have enough pills/strips to make it. And you definitely have time to quit by the end of the year. You can look forward to starting a new year with a new job and a new life.

Thanks for the tips man, I've been pretty successful with the tapering overall, I'm down to about 1mg/day now, using the liquid method I measure out a half in the morning and a half at night and generally have been feeling fine, some days I've even just taken 0.8 in the morning and that was it for the day, didn't feel great when I woke up the next day but I'd say I'm pretty adjusted to the 1mg a day so I'm going to try doing to 0.8 by doing 0.4 in the AM and 0.4 in the pm then keep going down.

As for what you've said about getting down past 0.3, I've been thinking about that and based on my own mental addiction and experience with PAWS from other opiates in the past, I'm debating if I should try to stop totally or just get down to a really low dose like .2-.3 and hold there to prevent any issues like you mentioned. I'll probably try stopping once I'm down in the very low range and see how that goes, as you said it should be mild from that level but with the rest of my supply sitting around that could get tempting.