It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:57 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all... I've now been on Methadone for just over a month after having my appendix removed. Prior to having my appendix removed I was doing well on a taper from 16mg of Suboxone and was currently in between 4-6mg. I think I had successfully made it down to 4mg but I will never know because I got very very sick due to my appendix. Anyways, so after being on morphine 1.5 months due to the appendix and then a bad infection that came afterwards I decided to go on Methadone instead of suboxone out of the fear I have of the suboxone induction. I've been inducted twice in the past and both were very horrible and painful experiences even after waiting 16-18 hours after my last dose of opiates. it usually knocked me out for 3-4 days minimum and took a full week or 2 before I felt somewhat stable. suboxone just didn't seem to agree with my body. in retrospect im not too sure if it did or not because while I feel like suboxone made me like a zombie, im also having some issues with methadone, although they are MUCH different.

At first when I stopped taking my morphine and started off at 30mg of methadone I was feeling ok. surprisingly good actually... my dose was gradually increased though because I felt like it wasn't holding me long enough. at around 60mg they thought I should have been fine but I was then starting to feel VERY VERY tired in the morning up until I took my dose at 12-1pm. I told my doc this and he thought that maybe I need to increase more so over a few weeks we went from 60mg to my current dose of 85mg. I think 85mg is holding me better but im not quite sure if I still need to go up or not. Im still tired in the morning and I feel like I need a fix but it's not SO bad that I cant function at work, although when im around my wife and kids I am a complete useless tool until I dose; im also very irritable around my wife & kids until I take my dose and I CANNOT get out of bed for the life of me. I set like 8 alarms between 2 different smart phones and a real alarm clock and it takes me over 1.5 hours after my alarm first went off to drag my sorry ass out of bed. some of it has to do with my sleep pattern gets interrupted due to my son waking up at 6:50 then my wife's alarm goes off at 7:15 and then 7:20... and then I have to get my daughter up if she wakes up while my wife is gone dropping my son off at the school bus or if my wife has gone back to bed im the one stuck getting my daughter up since my wife had already got up early to take my son to school while I slept. ANYWAYS, enough about my marital issues. lol.

Before I was on methadone, for example while I was on morphine or suboxone, I was always hard to get out of bed but this is something new and totally on a different level. I feel like I NEED to just keep lying in bed. It has actually caused a big riff in my marriage because my wife recently found out about my opiate dependency which I hid from her (I know it sounds lame but I hid it from her as to not hurt her. she didn't need to know her husband was addicted to oxycontin and I sure as hell would never tell her I had resorted to using H when I couldn't get oxy) . she doesn't understand that something about the methadone is causing me to be so lethargic in the morning. I mean, she does know now that I've explained it to her a hundred times but I guess she's just fed up with seeing her husband just lying in bed while I should be at work or on the weekends up with the kids - I lie there uselessly sleeping until 10:30-11:30 or later if I was allowed to sleep longer. I feel like I could easily go to bed at 11:30pm and sleep in till 12pm. infact I did once.

after I wake up and take my dose though, im good within 1-2 hours. ive got almost all my carries (5 take homes getting my 6th this week) so when I do get a full week of carries im going to try split dosing because my theory is maybe my body is metabolizing the methadone faster then 24 hours. so if I took 60mg around noon and then the remaning 25mg (my dose is 85mg) at bed time im thinking it might be enough to carry me thru the night until noon when I take my next 60mg dose. or maybe they'll need to increase my dose a bit more before doing the split dosing. no matter, im considering the split dosing very highly.

I just want to know if anyone here has personally had this same problem? ive read about people being tired from being on too high a dose. but im not getting ANY euphoria whatsoever, infact in the morning I feel like im craving opiates, although I could go from 8am till 1 or even 4pm if I had to without being too uncomfortable. I would just be VERY tired until I took my dose then within 1-2 hours I wake up and im back to "normal" or as normal as I can be.

Im curious what people's opinions here are on my situation. do I

1) need an increase from 85mg to XX mg? perhaps 100mg?
2) need split dosing
3) need nothing, this is just something im going to have to live with OR
4) need nothing as it will get better over time

I must say it's affecting my marriage and im worried it will get me in trouble at work. I have a pretty flexible boss and hours but when im supposed to be starting at 9-9:30 and I don't wake up until 9:30-9:50 and don't roll in until 10:30-11:15 its going to get noticed eventually. I would really love a solution to this problem. I was hoping to not have to go up higher then 85mg. infact 60mg was the most I was hoping I would be on as it will be harder to wean down which is my ultimate goal over the next 6-12 months (or however long it takes on a slow taper). But if it means that I need 100mg to not be so damn useless and tired in the morning im totally A-OK with that. ZERO problems at all with going up in dose if it will solve my problem. Im just worried it wont though and i'll keep going up and building my tolerance for nothing until I realize it's useless. Honestly, I feel like split dosing is probably the solution if there is one I just don't know if I will need to go up to around 100mg before I do split dose or if 85mg will be ok.

As I mentioned above, I used to be on suboxone and I hated it the whole time I was on it. I felt like it sucked the life out me. it also made my very mild anxiety that used to poke its head up every once in a few years, come out in FULL FORCE. I needed serious help and was put on antidepressants and at first Atavan from my family doctor but then after telling my suboxone doctor about the benzos he said he strongly recommended I go on Clonazapam as it lasts longer, is safer and doesn't show up as a positive on the Benzo portion of the drug test I have to do. So I told my physchatrist this and he agree and prescribed me Clonazapam instead of Atavan. The Clonazapam seemed to help a lot more then the atavan although the atavan did wonders for me while I was on my second induction which was the roughest of the 2 times I was inducted onto suboxone. The atavan literally took me from an anxious, shaking, sweating ball of stress to a calmed down, almost normal feeling state. I had to take clonazepam for a good while during my suboxone days. But I was never tired like this in the morning. After I stabalized on suboxone I was actually somewhat ok in retrospect but I did feel like everything was a bit BLAH while on suboxone. I haven't been actuely anxious on methadone and having horrible panic attacks like I was with subs but I do feel like I am a bit anxious here and there... and I feel a bit panicy like Im constantly thinking about my next dose whereas I was NEVER Like that on suboxone. EVER. On subs I would easily go over the 24 hour mark without any feeling of withdrawal or cravings. infact one time I forgot to dose and didn't realize it until the next day so it was like 36 hours before I dosed. I can barely make 24 hours on methadone.

Any advice, suggestions, personal stories, etc are welcome and encouraged.

Sorry for the long rambling post. That's just how I am. I cant get all my thoughts out at once or as clear & concisely as I want.

Thanks in advance for your support and replies. I would love nothing more then to feel stable, not tired in the morning and be able to start weaning down. If I hadn't had the damn surgery I would have been either a) completely off subs by now b) at such a low dose like 1 or 2mg. my surgery was on nov17 btw. my tolerance has skyrocketed since then because I was on ALOT of morphine for a long time then I went on methadone at 85mg is a pretty strong dose compared to suboxone.

Take care and CHEERS!

Rasspects

PS I don't know if it's the methadone or the Effexor (antidepressant) but I have ZERO sex drive which is also causing maritial problems as my wife is young, hot and wants to have sex a lot... atleast more then once a month which is what I feel like. Best way I can describe it is I feel almost asexual. Although, before my opiate dependency and the antidepressants I was definitely interested in having sex with her. lol. Now, the thought of sex almost grosses me out or just makes me plain UNCOMFORTABLE. it's so messed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:24 am 

Welcome to the forum!

I wish I could help answer your questions, but I have zero experience with methadone and effexor. The only thing I can think of is, could you try to experiment with the timing of your dose? Can you, for example, set the alarm for 6:00 am, take your dose, and be ready to be up and functioning at 8 am?

I hope that someone else who has more experience than I comes along soon to answer your questions. But I wanted to at least welcome you to our forum!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:31 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

85mg is considered to be a fairly low dose these days. Most people I see that are successful in methadone maintenence settings are on between 80mg and 180mg give or take either way to HUGE degrees. There are differences in the way that people metabolize methadone and split-dosing is becoming an option more and more easially available in clinic settings. If I were to give you any immediate advice it would be to gradually increase and if you're still having symptoms at less than 24 hours at 120mg consider that you may do better with split-dosing. You may find that 100mg is the 'magic number' for you or you may find that a split-dose of 120mg and 120mg is what it takes, it's going to be different for everyone...I was personally a 240mg daily guy for a long time. Be patient and keep updating SuboxForum!

T

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Unfortunately, I can't answer your methadone questions. I was wondering, however, what dose of Suboxone you were on. Many people can strike a balance between the side effects and the benefits by lowering their dose. What made me want to mention this was what you said about the anxiety. The only time I experienced anxiety as a side effect of Sub was when I was on 16mg/day. At lower doses I never experienced it. Also the zombie like effect diminishes at lower doses. Many people maintain at 4mg once a day. So, if the methadone doesn't end up working out, you might consider trying Sub again and adjusting your dose until it is tolerable.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:02 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Just wondering if u ever got an answer to
your problem. I went through the samething it methadone and effexor do not work well together in effexor should not be given if your taken methadone it causes an increase in ur metabolism causing your dose to ware of to soon! I just stopped the effexor and decreased my methadone im at 32 milagrams now and feel awsome i do everything my family does. Methadone is addictive so many think they have to increase right away when they should give it time. Iv been on it for six years and im thinking of switching to suboxin but im now terrified after reading so many horror stories about the withdraw sym u have to go through first:(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Methadone has made myself and nearly everyone I know constantly tired. I am back on sub, thank god, buy methadone I'd a ball and chain. Get off and back on sub. You have no idea what's coming when you get off..... good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

MaryBeth0586 wrote:
Just wondering if u ever got an answer to
your problem. I went through the samething it methadone and effexor do not work well together in effexor should not be given if your taken methadone it causes an increase in ur metabolism causing your dose to ware of to soon! I just stopped the effexor and decreased my methadone im at 32 milagrams now and feel awsome i do everything my family does. Methadone is addictive so many think they have to increase right away when they should give it time. Iv been on it for six years and im thinking of switching to suboxin but im now terrified after reading so many horror stories about the withdraw sym u have to go through first:(

Never had Methedone.
But took plenty of MST and Oxys.
Going CT at home I went through Hell and after a few days in bed depressed and sweating and sore I would give up and go back to the Morphine/Codeine.
With the Sub I did it in a clinic.
Sunday I had to stay off the pills so I spent all day drinking Vodka and kept going till I booked in on Monday morning Drunk.
Spent Monday on Diazepam with a dose of Codeine that night and on to the Sub on Tues.
It was far easier than I thought and completely different than my home efforts.
I would reccomend Sub to anyone.
Am still using Diazepam and drinking some beer at night.
But I believe when I get my dose right I will be able to dump them as well.