It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Monopoly Anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

After reading many of your post(s) regarding the high cost of Suboxone SL Strips.,

I thought back to days when Bill Gates redeigned his company to take some of the heat away from Microsoft, etc. I then thought back to the days when I started using computers in my work, in those days the operating system was called DOS, short for "Disk Operating Sytem". I used a program called "Word Perfect" for letters etc. When Windows 95 came out it came out with another MS program called "Wicrosoft Word". "Word Perfect" was no longer compatible when our company swithced to Windows 95. MS responded by saying that it was not their intention for Win 95 to be compatible with other programs.....They were taken to court for this and other things too!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162- ... y-lawsuit/

Now we have RB doing a similar thing as far as a "Monopoly" goes on pricing of the drug Suboxone SL Strips. They were issued a patent number for the SL Strips on August 30, 2010, US Patent Number 8.017.150.

http://www.drugpatentwatch.com/ultimate ... e/SUBOXONE

The patent for the "strip" version of Suboxone is due to expire in 2013. According to the article's link above, many factors may affect that date ! Seems action needs to be taken NOW / asap IMO.

It seems obvious that RB is playing "Monopoly" with their drug and our lives, and other pharmaceutical companies seem to be doing little to to try and prevent this date from being extended.

I have researched that many companies are trying to get approval for various forms of Suboxone, but how long will it be until RB comes up with another ploy over and over to extend their "Monopoly" for Suboxone?

As we are many aware that there are assistance for certain people who need this medicine but others still have to pay cash, large co-pays, or their insurance only covers certain amounts of the drug, like was stated in another post. Some insurance companies have PA , known as prior approval for Suboxone, and I have been told and read on the www that thsi process takes some time. Many doctors are not willing to got through the paper work for PA either (personal experience w/ other medicines I need).

I am not a doctor or lawyer by no means but it seems that the word "Monopoly" can be sued by our Government to stop the already rich pharmaceutical companies from just getting richer and not stopping the Monoploy effect?

Is it because it would possible cut out funding for Government funded projects, because Suboxone can reduce the number of people buying street drugs, which could result in less arrest and less money and properties taken from drug dealers?

Maybe a petition, or other means of getting the attention to the right desk somewhere in DC could help?

I know I would be willing to help stop this monopoly , is there anything we can do as a team to help stop this from happening?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You do make a good point. I believe they are called anti-competitive laws or anti-trust laws. Microsoft was taken to court over its bundling of Internet Explorer with Windows 95, thus they were using their operating system monopoly to shoulder out Netscape from the market (remember them?!!).

I have actually wondered in the past if RB's dodgy practices constitute a breach of anti-competition laws. I really 100% do feel that if Suboxone was as relevant to public as Microsoft was then, they wouldn't even consider trying to get away with what they have so far. But the fact that their customers are adddicts with not much credibility, and that it really is just a niche market, I don't think the DOJ will come down on them any time soon.

Then again, a lot of American tax payer's money went into researching buprenorphine. NIDA bankrolled RB to give them incentive to pursue buprenorphine... I'm surprised NIDA aren't doing more to knuckle down on RB>