It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Money problems
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I have been seeing a sub doctor for about a month now. I have to say, in only a short month, it has changed my life! I feel so much better, my head & thinking is so much clearer, my family is starting to come around now that I have quit the drugs, & my relationship with my fiance is changing as well! But I am having money issues! I have been trying to get insured for a month now! No one will insure me, I have a HUGE medical bill from 2 years ago pending, & I suppose it has put a big red flag right next to my name! I am 22 years old. Just the meds alone is 400 a month! My fiance is a little annoyed with it, & I know it's a lot cheaper than drugs, I know that someone will say, "well how much were you spending on drugs a month on the street", but the thing is, my fiance has never used. He doesn't understand addiction. So when I quit, he thought our money issues would end. NOT. I know the money is completely worth it, but it's still expencive & need away around this big bill I'm paying every month. I want to stay clean, the meetings, group meetings, counciling ect is really important to me & I want to keep on going with this thing. I'm pretty sure I can do it! I just need help with it financially! I live in VA. Does anyone know anything that could help me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

& yes, I do work! But I pay all of my bills every single month with only help from my fiance. It's hard getting by these days :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Glad you're doing well on Suboxone and turning things around for yourself.
I understand the financial aspect of treatment is daunting when you have no insurance coverage for it and when money is tight anyway. Even if you were able to find an insurance company willing to take you, your premiums for good coverage, low copays, and low deductibles are likely to be very, very expensive. You'd also have about zero chance of having any coverage for your Suboxone treatment because it would be considered a preexisting condition.
A way to get around that would be to go to work for a company that is large enough to offer a group insurance plan for their employees. Most of those plans will give you coverage immediately and with no exclusions for preexisting conditions.
You mentioned you're 22 and not married....If one of your parent's employers offers insurance, I believe that you should be eligible to remain on their family plan until age 26.
Other than that, about the only way to reduce your cost is to let your doctor know that you have to pay for everything on your own and ask if he/she will prescribe you the generic Subutex tablets, as they are significantly less costly than the name brand Suboxone films. I don't know what dose you're taking, but that's another way to reduce your cost....find the lowest dose you can take to keep feeling well. That way your prescription will last much longer, saving you lots of cash. For example, I was prescribed 24mg a day. I found out pretty quickly that I only needed about 8mg a day....that meant that one month of meds would stretch out to three months worth! That's a lot of money!
I know in the past, the manufacturer of Suboxone offered a limited number of free prescriptions to each prescribing doctor and they would give those to patients who couldn't afford it. I don't know if that is still available or not, but it would be worth asking. I've also heard from time to time that there are coupons that can be found online for the Rx, so you might look for those. Otherwise, be sure to call all the pharmacies in your area and compare prices.
Good luck! Hope that helps.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi sunshine,

I'm sorry to hear of ur situation financially. I can relate b/c I've been there. the good news, you are no longer using your DOC which is 25 times more taxing financialy and 1000000000 times more unmanagable and miserable than your current situation :)

Couple of questions - do you see your doctor each week for subs? or more or less than once a week? I assume you don't have insurance at all so you are paying out of pocket for your scripts? And you have to pay the doctor each visit?

Let me know and I might have a few words of adivce that may or may not help as I was in a similar situation.

Post subject: Financial Help
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 pm 

Hi Sunshine,

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Patient Assistance Program. Each Suboxone physician is allow three patients per year to receive free Suboxone. It is hard to get in and it is only for a year at a time but it's worth doing some asking.

Here is the link to help you out.

NeedyMeds

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am on the patient assistance program. There is no way I could afford 500 dollars a month plus the cost to see the doctor. So it has truly been a godsend! If you google it there will be a number to call. They will send you the papers for your doctor and you to fill out. You will also need a copy of your 1040 from when you filed your taxes. After everything is filled out you fax it back to them with your 1040 and in three to five days you will find out if you're approved or not. If you are they send you a card that you just take to the pharmacy with your script and your suboxone is fully paid for. You will have to call your doctors office first though because each doctor is only allowed three people at a time on the program. My doctor only had two so I was lucky.

Also if you are out of work you could apply to be on your states medicare program. I'm not sure what the qualifications are to get on it, but it's worth a shot. That would cover a lot of your expenses. If all else fails you could ask your doctor to work with you on his price.

Also remember you don't have to buy your whole months worth at one time. You could buy as many as you can afford at that time. You could even go everyday and pick up whatever you need for the day.

Hope I could help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think this is the nastiest part of suboxone therapy.

What about the thousands or millions of opiate addicts that can't afford suboxone? Do they just die off?

It's sickening to me. If someone is sick, we should help them regardless of money.

Addicts are looked at differently though and it sucks.

Anyways. This is why I think some doctors continue to give out subutex rxs in our area regardless of trouble or something bad. To help the addicts get the cheapest possible solution. Not the most expensive!

My doctor is a rep for RB and continues to say that generics aren't as good as the film for many reasons. Such crap.

Sooner than later the generic suboxone tablets will become cheaper. All generics are usually pretty expensive. We are lucky because it isn't just being made by one company out of the gate like most others. This will drive down price. Then will it rival subutex costs to try and become more desirable?

When this happens all insurance companies are going to look at the doctors like mine and tell them.... We arent going to cover this expensive crap anymore because now there is a therapeutically equivalent medicine that is much cheaper!

Idk. This is just what several pharmacists have told me during discussions.

Regardless. It should be cheaper. Always. Or else addicts will continue to be sick, criminals, dead.

Sad. All for money.

I vote for free subutex like France lol.

Even if I had to get a new Rx biweekly for the rest of my life but it was free..... I wouldn't care!!