It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok so today there was new kids I talked too who is leaving for this quote on quote “45,ooo dollars rehab and my parents paid it with no problems at all, This is the same program DR.Drew works with on celebrity rehab and so on and so on”. And I was just baffled at the things he was saying, he was basically saying because his rehab coast that much money he was bound to get clean and he will be working with the best DRs in the world and his mom and dad are so rich they would only send me to the best of the best to do this. And I started to explain to him you parents could of paid 10 million dollars for a rehab program it doesn’t matter man unless you YOURSELF no one else not your mom not your dad not the rich ass DRs but you has to want to get clean. And you are wasting your parents money and time if you don’t seriously want to get clean. He was young so he is bound to learn this for himself but the point I tried to make for him is you can go to the most run down rehab program in the heart of mexico but if you want to get clean you will be successful. Money does not buy sobriety but he was so stuck on this that he said I was wrong and I don’t know anything, and I said yes maybe I don’t but before you leave ask yourself do you want to get clean and I left.

Was I wrong for saying this to him is my question??? I kept my mouth shut for the whole time he talked but I just couldn’t take it anymore about how money is everything in getting clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with you, a better Dr would help the process but in the end the only person in control of your sobriety is you. Just because a Dr works in a fancy rehab and charges ridiculous amounts of money doesn't mean they are a good doctor. Is what you said to him wrong, no I don't think so. In my opinion if someone is telling you about something in their life then they are opening themselves to your opinion. You were just being honest and trying to be helpful. Hopefully he will make it but with an attitude like that I fear the odds may not be in his favor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bboy, what you said to him was reasonable, logical, and rational. And I believe it was the best thing you could have told him. And to be honest, I'm proud of you for saying that to him. It sounds like you expressed yourself well - succinct and to the point. That's all you can do - say how you feel honestly and with care and then let him decide for himself. I don't think you were wrong in saying that at all. And I say GOOD FOR YOU. Let's hope he heard you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bboy". all the famous singer's and movie stars", that died of addiction( Amy Winehouse) would have agreed with you for sure!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Alright good I just didn’t want to be in the wrong for saying these things to him that why I had to ask glad to see others think what I did was right.

I mean this is the main reason I want to get into this field of work because it is the younger kids who are so brain washed at times due to what they see on the TV and hear in music now a days. I just want to change one young mind a day a month and to me that would be the best feeling in the world to help anyone change there life for the better in any aspect period. But overall this is one of the main reason I want to work with younger addicts because I can relate to them because my addiction started at 12 years old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

your so right b-boy! i'm seeing kids around my hood geting in to so much trouble. and the parents letting them get away with it. i over herd a parent say please don't do that". like the parent was asking her child' and not ordering the child, it just make me sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:49 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

thats the same rehab Mike Starr and Jeff Conway went to both have died........................................I would have said the same thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

A true friend, or anyone who cares, tells the person the truth. That is what you did. Good for you! I also understand the kid, though, I remember the mistaken belief that "treatment" automatically cures addiction. When I first went to rehab I seriously thought "ok, 30 days and I won't be an addict anymore!" LOL, but that is sad. And I think when it comes to addiction, money can seriously hinder recovery sometimes. Every time this kid's parents bail him out of his problems they are enabling him to use. You did the right thing.

James