It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi again..It seems that a lot of woman went home at day 2. If my son were to have gone home by day 2 (which he wouldn't cuz they wanted to wait 3, then 4 , then 5 days) ..he wouldn't have showed any signs of W/D yet. It took 3-4 days.To me it was mild ..I felt I could have handled it at home. I was on about .35 mg. Subutex. Super low dose. Figured he wouldn't "need" morphine.But in the end, its not up to what you think, but what the doc recommends. So far he's been weaning for 5 days..and its going well.My kids and husband keep asking how long until he's home..and I don't know , no one does and the doc won't tell me..but they have suggested less than 3 weeks. Any moms out there with some helpful advice? Encouraging words? What to say to non- family members about his long stay? The stress is killing me. At first I was worried about what others would think and what to tell them. Now I don't care so much..because once my baby is home , my life will be perfect despite any judgment from ANYONE. Does that make sense? Thank you in advance..hoping to hear from someone who has gone thru it..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The experts that I have heard talk on this subject say that there seems to be no reliable relationship between the dose of buprenorphine in pregnancy and the incidence and severity of neonatal abstinence syndrome. Like weaning adults off buprenorphine, he duration depends on the individual and the prescribing doc. There’s no evidence that shorter or longer weaning times has any long-term ramifications on the baby, though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:22 am 

Hey naturelover.

I don't have experience with what ur going through because I didn't become addicted until after my children were born. But I understand why u feel stressed, what mother wouldn't?? The only thing I can add is that after this is done and ur baby is home where he/she belongs, this whole thing will be forgotten. Yes it was a stressful start but this will pass and life will resume as normal. In a few months you'll prove what a wonderful mother u are to this little one and all will be good. So even though ur in a situation right now, it'll be over soon.

Family can be our biggest critics sometimes, but don't let that get to u if they do. Not everyone understands addiction and even fewer than that can understand what u went through bringing this baby into the world. U know what's up and it's ok. U did the right thing!

Good luck and so happy ur baby will be home soon.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

StatCoder wrote:
The experts that I have heard talk on this subject say that there seems to be no reliable relationship between the dose of buprenorphine in pregnancy and the incidence and severity of neonatal abstinence syndrome. Like weaning adults off buprenorphine, he duration depends on the individual and the prescribing doc. There’s no evidence that shorter or longer weaning times has any long-term ramifications on the baby, though.

Hi there, Yes I had read the same thing while pregnant. But it still took me off guard when his scoring got to that point. (8's) And I read so many cases where the pregnant woman took bupe like 6-8 mg. and baby was fine..Also I didn't even know the half- life of bupe is 17 days in an infant (the nurses told me this) I wanted to quit so bad..but didn't want to hurt my baby in any way by doing so. I wanted to do the best thing. But in the end he still was affected.I feel like I should tell pregnant woman on Subs my story..because mist of what you read online is good things and the babies were only monitored for 48 hours (not enough time to see w/d in a newborn anyway) Thank you for replying.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

jennjenn wrote:
Hey naturelover.

I don't have experience with what ur going through because I didn't become addicted until after my children were born. But I understand why u feel stressed, what mother wouldn't?? The only thing I can add is that after this is done and ur baby is home where he/she belongs, this whole thing will be forgotten. Yes it was a stressful start but this will pass and life will resume as normal. In a few months you'll prove what a wonderful mother u are to this little one and all will be good. So even though ur in a situation right now, it'll be over soon.

Family can be our biggest critics sometimes, but don't let that get to u if they do. Not everyone understands addiction and even fewer than that can understand what u went through bringing this baby into the world. U know what's up and it's ok. U did the right thing!

Good luck and so happy ur baby will be home soon.

Hi, and thank you for replying.This situation is just one of those things where..you have to be patient..and try your best to not let it devour you.Its seems like such a long process..the weaning.I feel like I will be looked at differently by some people..but accordingly to my doc ..I actually did the right thing..I tapered.But the outcome is still what it is. My baby is still in the hospital away from me and his daddy.after the wean they monitor him for 48 hours. I know once he's home everything will be much better. I just wish I can be happy now. When I was pregnant I looked forward to his birth with great joy..his birth was the best ever! Quick and easy.Everything about the pregnancy, labor and birth and recovery has been perfect. Except that he has NAS.When Life is too good, something bad happens, usually.I try to be positive because some people are in a lot worse situations..my baby is healthy and will be home soon. I really appreciate your encouraging words. I know If I have another baby ..I will not be taking bupe, period.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:35 pm 

naturelover88 wrote:

Hi there, Yes I had read the same thing while pregnant. But it still took me off guard when his scoring got to that point. (8's) And I read so many cases where the pregnant woman took bupe like 6-8 mg. and baby was fine..Also I didn't even know the half- life of bupe is 17 days in an infant (the nurses told me this) I wanted to quit so bad..but didn't want to hurt my baby in any way by doing so. I wanted to do the best thing. But in the end he still was affected.I feel like I should tell pregnant woman on Subs my story..because mist of what you read online is good things and the babies were only monitored for 48 hours (not enough time to see w/d in a newborn anyway) Thank you for replying.

You absolutely did do the best thing for your baby! Please don't think otherwise! We are all different genetically, and those differences express themselves in many ways. For you son it means that he was more susceptible to NAS than other babies. There was no way to predict that!!

I want you to think about what would have happened if you had gone off your medication, aside from the risk of miscarriage. You would have felt a bunch of stress during detox and possibly beyond. You might have gotten depressed or extremely anxiety ridden. All of those feelings cause a hormonal response that affects your baby. The newest research shows that babies can be affected my the amount of cortisol the pregnant mom produces.

Think about it. Your baby has a situation that he has to get through right now that will end up being water under the bridge. Or he could have been affected by the hormones your body produced while very stressed, which could affect his temperament and personality. Like I said, you made a good choice!

I'm looking forward to the day when you can come here and tell us that your baby is home! Until then, hold on and keep the faith that you made the right choice.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My 2nd born didn't need treatment until she was 6 days old. I think it's because subutex is such a long acting drug. I'm sorry you are dealing with this right now, but don't let it ruin your joy of having a sweet new baby boy!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Arlica wrote:
My 2nd born didn't need treatment until she was 6 days old. I think it's because subutex is such a long acting drug. I'm sorry you are dealing with this right now, but don't let it ruin your joy of having a sweet new baby
boy!

Hello..Yes he was 4 days old when he started getting treatment. Subutex is very long acting drug apparently. I do feel him being at the hospital has robbed me of some joy..like I can't be 100% happy , until its all over with. His dose is .10 now..and I can tell he is getting fussier and not sleeping as well.He 2 things he is getting scored on are watery stools and sleeping less than 2,3 hours. His scores were still acceptable as of yesterday. Just worried. Hoping he will be home by end of week, like the Doc said.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The morphine goes really fast once they get down to .01. Don't give up hope, you'll have your baby home before you know it! I'm praying for you and yours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know EXACTLY what you’ve gone through! I hope you’re home as I see this post was a couple months ago... I’m currently going through the exact thing. My daughter showed symptoms from day 1. I found this surprising as I’d read most severe symptoms weren’t common until days 4-5. Turns out the NICU nurses say they’ve seen that sub babies actually show symptoms sooner than that but do get better faster than methadone babies. Also, my daughter did get worse a week in, while they were weaning aggressively and the my said it was common since4-5 days in symptoms are more noticeable.
My daughter was treated at 1.5 days old and weaned very quickly initially. They went down 4 times within the first 5 days of treatment and spaced her dose to every 6 hours by day 5! She did not tolerate this well at all. They had to go back up to .22mg every 3 hours went down 2 days later to .19mg. She’s been at that dose for a week and a half and they’ve instead spaced her dose out to 4 hours then 5, 6 and today they went to 8 hours. The nurse told my boyfriend today (I couldn’t go due to a fever) that they’re attempting to wean by increasing her frequency until they get her down to once a day and then off. Maybe they’ll go down once but will try to get her off by giving it to her less often. If this works I’m hoping she’ll be home sooner than we’ve been thinking.
I hope your son is home and responding well to home life.
I can definitely agree w you kn that I was not prepared for this to happen for the same reasons you didn’t. All babies and women are different and I’d hoped my daughter would have mild symptoms not needing treatment. But it was obvious from Day 1 that she wasn’t ok. As much as I hate this happened I’m glad she’s feeling better. It was awful listening to her scream! I never want to get pregnant on this medication again and have decided to begin tapering now and will be much more on top of my birth control to prevent any accidents in the future. I did what was recommended during this pregnancy and stayed on my current dose to protect my pregnancy. Now my baby is 3 weeks old and not home... can’t go through this again.