It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I was involved in a terrible auto accident a few years ago that resulted in bad injuries to my back. I was eventualy given Oxycontin which in my my firm belief is the devil. Had proceedures, p/t, epidurals, triggerpoint, you name it, I did it as long as it would help. Going against the the advice of my Doc, I just wanted some relief and boy did I get it, this Doc prescribed 2 80mg oc and 2 20 mg oc 3 times a day. I asked him, are you sure man? this seems alittle excessive.His response was whos the Doctor here so I just shut my mouth. After taking these pills for many monthes, I not only lost my personality, al I could think of was when the next time my dose was so I could feel normal again. I am now taking suboxone, with valium and BP meds to get this monster from my body. I know the subs are helping as I am now 48 hours clean from opiates. I know they are after trying cold turkey I would have had to call an ambulance by now to take me to to the hospital. I do plan on being on the suboxone more than 10- 12 days with a 25% cut in dose every 3 days I should be opiate free by then.
The question I bring is how long does it take for the body to begin remanufacturing its natural seratonin?
I'm truly miserable due to whats become of my life and want nomality back so badly that I cry as I writh condenced version of my story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:44 pm 
Hi Rayray! I am so sorry for all your troubles. You'll find many of us on this forum with very similar stories - I, like you and many others could write volumes about what got us here and all the miseries our dependence/addiction has brought
into our lives. I was just talking to a friend a few minutes ago about the fact that doctors are more than willing to pass out these big gun scripts to us to keep us from whining (perhaps some docs truly do it out of compassion for our pain and suffering), but nonetheless when our pain medication becomes something we need to feel "normal" and we find ourselves
addicted, those same docs show us nothing but a crappy attitude, and take zero responsibility for the screwed up state
we find ourselves in after some time has passed.
I am glad you found Suboxone. I just could not believe how quickly it worked for me - like a miracle almost.
I have to tell you though, as many others here will as well - Suboxone is just one tool in our recovery. It is not THE answer. You're gonna need to get help from other modalities - support meetings, counseling, maybe even inpatient or intensive outpatient treatment for substance abuse.
Unfortunately our brain chemistry cannot be healed in 12 days and often not even in 12 months. This is in large part why the relapse rates for substance abuse are sooooo high. I am not an expert by any means, but I know that opiates damage the way our brain is able to receive the natural "happy" chemicals and it takes a long time for that to rewire itself. If you will spend some time reading the doctor's info on this site and the posts of other's, it will be explained in much more and
better detail than I can.
It helps me to think of it this way - My brain didn't get this messed up with just a few weeks or even months of opiates. It sure isn't gonna get fixed real quick either! So maybe just slow down and give yourself some time. I think you will see that as you continue on Suboxone and off the Oxy, things in your life will start to get better.
Best to you regardless of how long you choose to stay on Sub!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:17 am 
New Poster
New Poster

It may take a while. About six years ago I went off methadone cold turkey after going through the process of discovering my innate "need" for opiate pain medications. I was addicted to those for about 4-6 yrs, then on methadone for one year. I wanted off the methadone so I detoxed at home with the help of ativan and clonidine for a week, then (still in a VERY uncomfortable state) went to inpatient treatment for 2 weeks. I was off everything for almost 6 years. My husband was deployed to Iraq last year, I contracted a case of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (a very nasty rickettsial infection from a tick), I guess I had mono at the same time (did not find out I tested positive for mono until a few months later), we tried in-vitro while he was gone and it failed (no wonder). Well, making a long story short, I started again with pain medicine. My tolerance went up quickly. I found myself very unhappy and detoxed myself off approx 60 - 80 mg of Oxycontin a day. That was five days of pure hell. This past spring I went back on pain meds for generalized pain and problems with my left leg. This has not worked out so well as I have already taken 4 30 mg oxycontin pills this morning. I can't get rid of the pain when I wake up in the morning (my whole body aches). I recently went to a new physician and told him the story and how I want to come off the opiates. He is in contact with my primary physician and they are agreeable to putting me on suboxone. I am an RN and in school for my advanced degrees (bachelor's then master's). This suboxone sounds promising to me because I cannot imagine coming off meds by myself again.

In answer to your question, it may take a couple of months to start to really feel "normal". Don't be discouraged, it is not a terrible road to be on. Anything worth doing is not going to be easy. This time that you are going through, is an excellent time to get out there, go to meetings, don't listen to the idiots who will try to bash you for your choice in how you come off opiates.....it is none of their business and there is more than one truly "right" way to do this. You need to be honest with yourself and do what works for you. You are obviously on the right track. Keep up the good work.