It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Long story short, the prescription was called in a month ago. There are ~30 refills remaining, but when going to pick them up today, the pharmacy tech shared news that the prescriber just passed away yesterday!!! She then said that the prescription has become void.

I have tried looking up information about this, and there is nothing I found that states a previously called in prescription becomes void just because the doctor passed away. There is no MS statute regarding such an issue. After calling back, another pharmacist told me that the Board of Health makes the rules, but am still coming up short when looking for "Board of Health rules". The pharmacist said that "maintenance prescriptions can be filled for up to 30 days, but pro re nata (as needed) meds are void after death". This seems ridiculous.

Anybody have any clue what the truth is in such a situation??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sounds ridiculous to me also, but I have never heard of this situation. Hopefully someone here has and will respond to you. Or you could send Dr. Junig a PM message or email and ask him. He will know what's up. Theres another guy here also that is an addiction counselor, but I can't remember his screen name right now. I'll search around for it. He probably knows also.

I would think the doctor calling it in a month ago would still make it a valid script? I was thinking that maybe you could transfer that script to another pharmacy, but not certain that would work either? Hope you get it figured out and get your meds soon!

-BP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, I found out that Mississippi is the only state to have a Board of Pharmacy. But there is definitely nothing in here about a doctor's death voiding all prior prescriptions. It clearly states that the prescription....

Quote:
ARTICLE XII PRESCRIPTION/ORDER REQUIRED AND REFILL AUTHORIZATION/RECORD KEEPING

8. A prescription becomes invalid thirty (30) days after the prescriber/patient relationship is
terminated. When the patient is no longer able to seek personal consultation or treatment from the prescriber the prescriber/patient relationship is terminated.

Citation: http://www.mbp.state.ms.us/mbop/pharmac ... penElement

EDIT: Also, controlled substances are not allowed to be transferred. So that will obviously not work. The pharmacists will just have to eat crow when they re-open next week. :evil:

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PRN? Your prescription for suboxone was written to be taken as needed? It should be a maintenence med and fillable. At least here in Minnesota it would be filled. I would call the board of medical practice and ask them. Also see if you can talk to the pharmacist's supervisor. Another avenue would be to call the doctor's office and see if they have an emergency plan in place. There are probably dozens like you.