It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Minor Set Back
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:52 pm 

Darn! I was doing so good getting down to 1.50mgs and then wham, a huge sinus infection came on slowly but at first I didn't know what was happening so I ended up taking 4mgs of Sub for about 4 days to minimize some of the pain. Then on Tuesday night it hit me like a freight train. Never have I felt that kind of pain, not even with the surgeries I've had. Almost fainted and felt nauseous. It was late and no Urgent Care was open so I came close to going to the Emergency Clinic but just waited for a few hours until it was barely tolerable and took an Ambien and was actually able to sleep.

Called numerous ENT's but not one would take me that day. I said it was an emergency and they said I had to be bleeding for it to be an emergency! Say what?? More Sub was looking much better as the morning wore on but I didn't take it. I finally found a really good EMT a few miles away and she got me on the antibiotics and Prednisone for the pain. Nothing would touch that pain. Two Aleve + Tylenol did nothing. Even the extra Sub only dulled it a bit. Today at least I feel like I can do some small stuff. It knocked the pain down by two thirds.

Anyway, I went to my Sub doctor this morning and explained it all. So far I've only taken 2mgs the last two days so tomorrow will be the day to know if I dropped too fast. Hell, I only took the 4mgs for four days, it shouldn't have built a tolerance that fast.

Once I know I'm okay with 2mgs, I'll wait another week and get back to my 1.5 dose where I was.

What has me worried is the EMT said in two weeks I'm going to have a CAT scan to see why this hasn't gone away. It's the second one in the last year and it really never went away even with two treatments of antibiotics. Meaning, I may end up having surgery to correct my sinus problem. That has me very concerned being on Sub. So my plan is to taper low enough to jump and I may end up doing it a lot sooner than I wanted to. That's my main problem.

I figure the worst it cost me was a month of time to get back on track. No big deal unless I find out I need surgery, then the tapering goes much faster.

So that's the problem I've had this week. Really not too bad of an issue compared to others. At least it's one I can fix.

Thanks All,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That sounds awful, Rule, I'm sorry you had to go through that. You probably remember I went through a similar situation where I ended up raising my dose due to pain and got off track with my taper. The fact that you took 4mg for 4 days probably shouldn't set you back a month. I bet you can stay at 2 mg for a couple of days and then get right back to 1.5. Try to think positively, four days really isn't too long. I hope you feel better soon, and I hope the scan doesn't turn up anything serious. Try not to project, sinus surgery is probably unlikely.
Good luck,
Lilly

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:01 pm 

for the pump up of positive thinking Lilly! Yea, it's a worst case scenario but you know how alcoholic/addicts think? We tend to see the bad parts and focus on that. Mostly I've been pretty healthy so as you said, it's not likely to happen.

I'll be back on track in no time.

Thanks Again!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lilly hit the nail on the head Bud, you're considering the worst case scenario and you're obsessing over it.....don't do that!! I know, I know, easier said than done.

Listen, when I got off Suboxone I got waylaid by sicknesses. I had bronchitis a couple of times and strep throat 3 times in 4 months. The doctor finally upped my anit-biotics to Levaquin and that Levaquin finally knocked the snot out of my persistent strep throat. The previous courses of anit-biotics all helped, but none of them really got rid of the Strep completely.

When I quit Suboxone, it's like my immune system went on vacation? I wonder if your immune system is having trouble as you taper??

I'm hoping that you can get on some seriously powerful anit-biotics and get this crap taken care of. I hate it for ya that you had to sufer so badly.

BTW, men do not almost faint, we pass out.....try to remember that!! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yuck. Sinus pain is one of the absolute worst pains there is. :shock:

It's weird how many of us end up facing something painful when we get lower. I'm totally in the same boat at you. I got my period and it sucks; I'm fighting a sore throat/cold thing. Just don't feel good. :(

Yet we will overcome.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Rule, I am sorry you had to endure that, sinus pain can be some of the worst pain you will ever feel. My brother has suffered from sinus problems his whole life and like you he once had trouble getting rid of one with regular antibiotics. First they did a culture to see which antibiotic would treat the infection the best, then they started him on that antibiotic at a higher dose the first week but had him continue to to take it longer. I think it was for a month total but I can't remember. The Dr. said some infections just need antibiotics longer and when he was taking antibiotics for the usuall amount of time it was knocking the infection down but not getting rid of it completely. After he took the antibiotics for an extended period of time his infection finally went away. I just wanted to tell you this because you may want to ask your Dr. about trying this first.

My brother also swears by an otc sinus product to help with the pain. I can't remember what it is called but it is not a spray, it almost looks like a little tea pot. It comes in a box and has the "tea pot" and some packets you mix with warm water. You put the mixture in the pot and it has a long spout which you put in your nostril and allow the solution to pass thru. I believe it's a type of salt water or something. Sorry I am not more clear but I really can't remember what it's called. I will try to find out. Anyway I just wanted to let you know about some things that have worked for my brother and maybe put your mind at ease about requiring surgery. I hope you get this infections ass kicked!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's called a Neti Pot Breezy.....it is, quite possibly, the most disgusting thing ever invented by man. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks! Maybe disgusting but when your in that kind of pain I would take disgusting anyday to get some relief!