It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ok so it's down to 3 days until I start sub program and now I'm actually thinking of backing out. The excuses that I am coming up with are many.

1) I can just tapper my DOC - as if it was successful in the past, ya right
2) I may throw up, which is a phobia of mine - I will be in WDs for sure, so why would I?
3) what if I have an allergic reaction?
4) what if PAWS kicks in anyways? Then what's point..?
5) what if doc gives me to high a dose - I know that is highly unlikely
6) the time off work will impact me professionally.

I know that one part of my brain is messing with me, and the rational side is really weak right now.
It amazing how tricky the addiction side of my brain is being right now. I feel like I'm actually getting depressed over this.
Any advice... Someone tell me how wonderful subs are going to be. Someone tell me that I will keep the energy level that opiates give me... GAWD.... I'm really getting on my own nerves!

Hope everyone is well, safe and sober!

Post subject: !!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Feeb Alot of the fears your have are common I would assume. They are some of the same fears I had. I always would think what will I do without my best friend (DOC). But then I knew I was not able to taper if I was complety honest with myself and I was sick and tired of that live style.

I can tell you about me I've been on subs for 5 weeks and I DO NOT miss the pain pills at all. The most amazing thing happened today my uncle told me he sees a big difference in me since I started subs!!!! Not aggrvated and miserable anymore. I feel better now then I have in a very long time. And I will tell you that it is gonna change your live if your ready. I feel like "ME" again and they help me with my pain better then the pills did. I was getting nowhere with the pain pills they helped me for 2 hours and then back to the bottle and running the street spending tons of money on the crap.. I wish I could have some of that money back LOL!!!
My appointment is Tuesday for my monthly check up and I still have some suboxones left... are you kidding me some left over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU. I'm so happy for me !!!!

It will be GREAT!!!! Get excited!!!!!!!!!! Take your life back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Greetings, I am pn sub and I am tapering off. Personaly I wished I could have tapered off my DOC, but no way was that possible for ME. I felt great the entire time while on subs, (once stabelized) AS LONG as I stayed at my maintance dose. If I went lower or higher, I felt it 3 days later. NOT GOOD. So IMO, if you have a very bad addiction, what do you have to loose going on sub? On the other hand, IF you have control of your mind, (& addiction) taper off of of your DOC. This is just my own opinion and I am an addict in recovery (with the help of sub)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello, I would say with the way you worded your question that you already know the answer. The fact is you can't taper off your doc or you wouldn't be an addict and wouldn't have sought sub treatment. You are already aware that you are making excuses to stay on your doc, the only thing I can tell you is that if you are committed and want this sub will help your recovery immensely. I hope you can stay strong because there is a wonderful sober life just waiting for you to live it. You can do this. Let's say you get on sub and hate it, there is nothing stopping you from getting back on your doc. So the way I see it you have nothing to lose and your whole life to gain. Don't let your addiction steal anymore of your life.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:55 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

[quote="Feeb2011"]Ok so it's down to 3 days until I start sub program and now I'm actually thinking of backing out. The excuses that I am coming up with are many.

2) I may throw up, which is a phobia of mine - I will be in WDs for sure, so why would I?

I know that one part of my brain is messing with me, and the rational side is really weak right now.
It amazing how tricky the addiction side of my brain is being right now. I feel like I'm actually getting depressed over this.
Any advice... Someone tell me how wonderful subs are going to be. Someone tell me that I will keep the energy level that opiates give me... GAWD.... I'm really getting on my own nerves!

Dear Feeb211,

I agree with what everyone has said. Tapering off my doc was a hoot! Who am I kidding. I also like you, did not want to give up my drugs...but i was tired, broke and to the breaking point on living that life. I could not believe the way sub made me feel! I felt better than when on my doc and I have never missed them at all!!! Go with this...it will be the best thing you have ever done in your life!! My doc only had me off my doc for 12 hrs before inducting and i had very little withdrawal.
Good luck to you..........judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's the whole beauty of suboxone - we addicts actually CAN taper off of it when, chances are, it's near impossible to taper off our DOC.

I know it's scary - letting go of that security blanket is a HUGE change, even if it is for the better. So it's pretty normal to be having second thoughts. Hang in there and keep moving forward. I believe you're doing the right thing in going on sub treatment.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: You guys are great
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:11 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So here I am, at work, reading all the replies I have received. Blithering like a baby because you are all right. 100% right, and i know it. I just needed to hear it from people who are or who were in the place I am now.
Meltalk, you made me cry the hardest, especially when you brought to life the reality of my DOC only lasting two hours, then I'm right back popping more, counting my bottle, worried, scared because i know I took too much and will run out.
I'm really hoping that I, more than anyone will see the difference in myself. I have easily put up a front the past 5 years and really I am exhausted. It's tough because when I have seen therapists and even went into detox 7 months ago, I always had this feeling that no one took me seriously. I don't want to sound vein by any means, but people look at me and see a princess, beautiful young(ish) woman, two beautiful kids and a great well paying job, which I have worked at for 13 years. To the outside people, I have it all... but inside I am dying. I think its those people who have made me doubt myself, doubt that I need to get help because well "You're smarter than that" is what I have heard from many counselors.
Anyways enough of my rambling, today im very upset because last night I ran out of my DOC... not a good morning for me at all, my entire routine is messed up. I've called my doctor to see if he can script me another 15 just so I can be okay until my thursday appointment. 15 SHOULD do until my last dose Tuesday evening.
Anyways, I gotta get to work.
Thank you all, you affirmation is giving me strength and hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hear ya feebs. It's those same feelings as I got being driven to my first rehab in my early 20's. Do I need this? What's wrong with how things are? What is it going to do to me? etc

Switching from other opiates to Suboxone is an incredibly cozy transition when done properly, and I believe you will be 100% fine. In a few days you will be posting about your new found appreciation for life and recovery.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

FEEBS....I felt the same way you are/did. It is the 17th today so I hope you are either getting started today or tommorrow. I just started 4 days ago. I was taking up to 15 40mgs of oxy a day. I ran out all the time, went from clinic to clinic to get more. Lied to my doctor until he told me I was done. I NEEDED those pills. Well, Ive been on sub for 4 days now and I feel great. Little cravings, nothing like when you runout of pills and the anxiety sets in. It took a few days to stabalize. Im not even sure Im there yet, but man I feel so good.

JUST GET IN THERE...TAKE THE SUB...YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT

Post subject: So frustrated
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

First, thank you all for your support. I love hearing about the positive I will be getting out of my treatment.
Lately all I have been reading is about people getting sick off it...probably precipitate WDs..and the migraines that ppl get. Will the dr. Actually let me spit the rest out to prevent a sub headache?
Second, get this... My doctor...AKA my drug pusher for the last 4 years gave me my last script to last me till tues. Afternoon. Told him I only wanted 15 and he said "oh well, we will just keep it as it is" and I got a full script of 60.
I don't get it. He knows whats going on, he knows everything. Does he really NOT CARE that much?
Im so baffled by the last few years with him and this last time actually made me sick to my stomach.
I am going to take my last dose tomorrow afternoon and go on the subs and switch doctors...... Well as soon as I can find a new one.
Thanks again everyone
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:56 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I know that I am coming in a bit late on this thread-
but I had trouble with accessing the internet after my computer crashed-
thanks to a nasty computer virus, and am borrowing the use of a family member's laptop.

Anyway, I agree with what everyone else said: go for the subs.

I have been on subs for almost 7 years, and I have never had any problems with it-
just some minor constipation issues that were taken care of with daily stool softeners
and Magnesium Oxide- that my sub doctor has prescribed.
I switched from methadone to subs without any problems; and I am now maintaining
on 4 mg of Suboxone per day. I have never regretted going on subs.

I look forward to hearing about your induction experience.

Good luck,

-ex-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Feeb2011 wrote:
Ok so it's down to 3 days until I start sub program and now I'm actually thinking of backing out. The excuses that I am coming up with are many.

Hope everyone is well, safe and sober!

You will be fine... you're just psyching yourself out. As usual, our brain always invents the worst-cast scenario. I had tremendous anxiety again switching back to subs from my heroin habit. I am now approaching 36 hours without heroin, transitioning to suboxone, and I feel great! Suboxone is still a miracle drug to me. Sure, lots of people abuse it, stay on it too long, take it too early, or whatever-- and have bad experiences. That's usually because they're not educated on it. Just wait until you are in full withdrawal (24-36 hours since your last dose of opiates) to take the Sub. You should be able to maintain work and transition smoothly with little to no discomfort during your detox from your DOC.