It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: migraines from subutex
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:53 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I know this is something that has been touched on many times b4, mainly w/ suboxone. The bad headaches.

Some of you might know my history, I was at a low dose of sub, 2mgs a day, went down to 1 back up to 2,3 and now 4mgs. I also lost my health ins and asked dr to switch me to generic subs so I get a rx for buprenorphine 2mgs bid (2x a day) Anyhow, I was doing some bad things about a mos ago and insuffalating my bup, that has now stopped (gave my bf the bottle to divy them out to me) I've been getting the worst headaches, I wake up and in about an hour it starts. I take my subutex, I still have it. OTC meds don't seem to work, so I thought maybe i was dehydrated, been drinking a ton of water. Headaches get worse and worse till sometimes it even makes me vomit. The only thing that helps is to lay down, not move and be in the dark.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I have always heard that naloxone could cause headaches but I seem to have the opposite effect. NOt that i never had headaches on suboxone, I did but they seem much worse now.

Also, I was wondering if anyone else had drug seeking behavior on subutex. I had never ever had the desire to abuse my medication (suboxone) but when I made the switch a mos ago to generic, I felt like, hey I'm going to sniff this and see what happens, terrible mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I know everyone is different but what do you think is the best thing for bad headaches(medication wise). I say they're migraines but I really don't know the exact definition of a migraine. Should I ask my dr for rx of ibuprofen? These headaches can be really debilitating. I own a biz so if I don't work, I don't make money. So I can't just stay home, not an option for me. I'm also in no way bashing subs.

Thanks in advance,
Downing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What you describe certainly does sound like migraines to me (but I'm no doctor). They could very well be totally unrelated to the sub. I would see a doctor about them. There are special medications for migraine headaches.

As for the drug seeking behavior - it's possible that you're still on too low a dose of sub. Sub should take care of cravings. But I have to ask, is it just the desire to snort it that you're talking about, or other drug-seeking behaviors you're dealing with? How to address and change that behavior will depend on what exactly you're struggling with.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Possibly Migraines!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[font=Century Gothic]What it sounds like to me esp since you are no longer taking the Suboxone so you no longer have the Naloxone to contend with but being someone who has suffered from migraines since i was 2yrs old and at that age up until i was 8yrs old they were so critical in such a tiny brain they would weekly send me into seiures i am now 26yrs old and still suffer migraines but take a maintence medication daily called "Topamax" Your symptoms sound like absolutely typical migrain red flags, however someone stated asking your doctor for Motrin, motrin if it is a true migraine is pretty much like pissin in the wind excuse my language, my advise to you would be to ask your doctor to write you for a non-narcotic medication that is used as needed for migraines called"Fioricet" It is actually a pill that contains high dose of caffeine mixed with acetiminophen but i have used it for over 5yrs and they usually stop my migraines that would usually and could cause me to go into a seizure within 20mins. However im not sure if you are aware of the fact tha if you are indeed having migraines which i truly believe you are and by the way i am a (NJ State Certified Paramedic) so im not just guessing but also not a doctor, but having this not be my first rodeo, the #1 rule of migraines is narcotics are cryptonite to migrains so try your damndest to not take more of your Subs than you absolutely need esp when ur having these headaches because they absolutely without a doubt will make the migraine worse as in 10xs worse withing minutes.[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:26 am 
New Poster
New Poster

What is a good migraine medication that is comparable to Topamax, without the side effects? I had been taking Topamax for migraines. I was on 400mg a day and it helped really well, but recently found I have a kidney stone due to using Topamax so I am trying to find a different med. I can take for it. For those of you that don't know, Topamax is used to prevent migraines, not to help with the pain. If anyone has personal experience I would prefer your answer. I don't want answers like imitrex, maxalt, zomig, as these are to treat the pain after you have gotten a migraine. I want an answer for a med to prevent the migraines. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm well aware that I'm on here so late, but I wanted to provide my condolences to you, Dorothy. As someone who's taken care of an elderly parent, I completely understand how tiring and frustrating it can be. Dealing with a relative with congestive heart failure is even more difficult. My sister is taking care of my mom now, but I am trying to figure out more about her status.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know if most congestive heart failure patients become kidney transplant recipients? Our mother needs dialysis and they say it's due to her CHF. How likely do you think it'll be that she'll need a transplant? Just curious. Thanks, everyone for listening!