It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_michael_jackson

Looks like he might have had a prescription drug problem. I'm willing to bet money thats what killed him. He had some of the best medical care of anyone famous really.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES – Police investigating Michael Jackson's death looked into his medical treatment Friday, seeking to interview one of the pop king's doctors and seizing a car that they said may contain drugs or other evidence.

As medical examiners began an autopsy on Jackson, police towed a BMW from rented home "because it may contain medications or other evidence that may assist the coroner in determining the cause of death," police spokeswoman Karen Rayner said.

She said the car belongs to one of Jackson's doctors whom police wanted to interview. Rayner said she did not know the doctor's identity and stressed the doctor was not under criminal investigation.

The autopsy began Friday morning and was expected to last several hours. An official determination on cause of death was not expected for weeks or longer, until more sophisticated tests are completed.

In a 911 call released by fire officials, a caller reports Jackson was on a bed and not breathing or responding to CPR. The unidentified caller said Jackson was with his personal doctor at the time.

"I need an ambulance as soon as possible, sir," the caller said urgently but politely. "We have a gentleman here that needs help and he's not breathing yet. He's not breathing and we need to — we're trying to pump him, but he's not, he's not."

The pop star died later Thursday afternoon at UCLA Medical Center.

As stores reported they were inundated with orders for Jackson's music, a chorus of grief for the megastar spread around the world, from statesmen to icons of music to legions of heartbroken fans.

"I can't stop crying. This is too sudden and shocking," said Diana Ross, who helped launch Jackson's career. "I am unable to imagine this. My heart is hurting."

Lisa Marie Presley, briefly married to the pop icon in the mid-1990s, said he had confided to her 14 years ago that he worried about facing the same tragic fate as her father, Elvis Presley, who died of a drug overdose at age 42.

"The world is in shock but somehow he knew exactly how his fate would be played out some day more than anyone else knew, and he was right," she wrote in a long, emotional statement on her MySpace page online.

The White House also weighed in for the first time, with a spokesman saying President Barack Obama saw Jackson as a spectacular performer and music icon whose life nonetheless had sad and tragic aspects. The House of Representatives observed a moment of silence.

Brian Oxman, a former Jackson attorney and a family friend, said Friday he had been concerned about Jackson's use of painkillers and had warned the singer's family about possible abuse.

"I said one day, we're going to have this experience. And when Anna Nicole Smith passed away, I said we cannot have this kind of thing with Michael Jackson," Oxman said on NBC's "Today" show. "The result was, I warned everyone, and lo and behold, here we are. I don't know what caused his death. But I feared this day, and here we are."

Oxman claimed Jackson had prescription drugs at his disposal to help with pain suffered when he broke his leg after he fell off a stage and for broken vertebrae in his back.

After Jackson was acquitted on child molestation charges in 2005, prosecutors argued against returning to Jackson items including syringes, the drug Demerol and prescriptions for various drugs, mainly antibiotics, in different people's names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know...is it good medical care when your doctor keeps prescribing you demerol long after it's obvious that you have a problem?

What a sad situation. I'm old enough to remember MJ before he became the spectacle of recent years. I was never a huge fan, but there's no way anyone of my generation could escape being touched by his music and dancing in some way. He had such a profound impact on pop music and pop culture. It's just a damn shame that people will remember him for all his craziness instead of for his brilliance.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think I made some smart ass comment to a friend when I heard he had passed away and I feel bad about it now, not that I was ever a fan of MJ but I certainly understand what it's like to live with a traumatic childhood and drug abuse and it's probably made worse when you're in the limelight and everyone is constantly taking shots at you. I'm sure he suffered alot more than anyone should and I'd be willing to bet he had a substance abuse issue. I'm sure with the kind of money he had he could literally buy doctors off to prescribe whatever he wanted keeping him sick. None of that matters though now obviously, since he's dead, as dead is dead. So I wish I hadn't have made a joke of his suffering and death. I hope he's found some kind of relief in the after life if there is such a thing. Rest well MJ....

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Remember the anna nicole smith fiasco?

Did you see the HUGE bottle of methadone she had in her fridge? It was like a gallon jug of liquid methadone. I dunno, maybe thats not a lot I'm not famaliar with it really so who am I to say?

MJ was very talented, and quirky.. But, aren't we all quirky in some way or another?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
OL's celebrity gossip page TMZ.com was first yesterday to report Michael Jackson's death, in part due to their direct line to one or more Jackson family members.

They appear to have had another scoop today in referencing a family member who reported that Mr Jackson had received an injection of the opioid analgesic, Demerol (meperidine), at 11:30 am yesterday. It is not clear whether this shot was administered by Dr Conrad Murray, the physician who was present when the 911 call was made to L.A. dispatchers. (Non-US readers may also refer to meperidine as pethidine or the trade name, Pethadol.)

hmmmm. I found a list of drugs he was given daily:

Not really a lot of opioid, but quite a combo! WAIT A MINUTE

250mg of xanax a day? That HAS to be wrong!!!!!!!!!!! 250mg of xanax is a f**kload of xanax. 4mg/day is a huge dose. No pharmacist on the planet would dispense 250mg/day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:51 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

LOL.... I was gonna say that 250mg of Xanax each day seems impossible. 2mg is a big dose. I used to use maybe 10-20mg/day and would fall asleep in all sorts of weird, inappropriate places. 250mg of Xanax per day would have definitely flat-lined MJ.... and if... by some miracle it didn't... his head would explode if he ever had to go a day without it.

Also, I don't believe Dilaudid comes in a 3mg pill form. I suppose he could have been taking a 2mg + a 1mg each dose, or been using the liquid form, but most doctors would rather use the readily available pill doses of 2mg or 4mg. If the doctor wanted him on 6mg/day, she would likely prescribe 2mg - 3 X per day.

Also seems strange to me that he would be taking Prozac AND Zoloft at the same time. These drugs are both SSRIs and are fairly similar. He'd be better off sticking to one of the two and adjusting the dosage for needed effect.

Finally, if memory serves.... IM Vistaril injections really hurt... and the injection site stays sore for some time. They sometimes give them as potentiators to enhance the opiate's effects... but two a day would get old pretty quick. I don't think I'd want to do that on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niZL_jPgGTY[/youtube]

This is Jay Smooth's video post about MJ's death. I think it's really good, definitely worth listening to, and probably speaks to some issues that many of us have. It's worth your five minutes. And if you've never heard Jay Smooth, you should definitely check him out: Ill Doctrine

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Holy crap!

Quote:
LOS ANGELES - Michael Jackson's personal doctor administered a powerful anesthetic to help him sleep, and authorities believe the drug is what killed the pop singer, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press on Monday.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing, said Jackson regularly received propofol to sleep, a practice far outside the drug's intended purpose. On June 25, the day Jackson died, Dr. Conrad Murray gave him the drug sometime after midnight, the official said.

Though toxicology reports are pending, investigators are working under the theory that propofol caused Jackson's heart to stop, the official said.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-jackson-doc-gave-him-drug-before-death/25727?nc

Yeah, propofol for sleep! That is nuts.. I read the the therapeutic dose and the lethal dose are very close.

Its like using cyanide for bug repellent.. (Wait, it was used as a bug repellent!)

I was reading that propofol can induce dependency, and it has a withdrawal. I guess anaesthesiologists sometimes are recreational users of the drug, and that abuse of propofol is actually considered a problem. I'll have to find those articles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Michael Jackson-- definitely a strange bird, but I have always been amazed at how he danced at such a young age...

I have to put in a plug of my new blog-- I have a post about Michael Jackson so check it out if you haven't yet.

The World Beneath

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I had my endoscopic ultrasound done in January, I talked to the anaesthesiologist and he said "I'm going to give you propofol.. it works really well", I said "ah, milk of amnesia". He got a kick out of that.

Anyway, when he started it he said "I'm going to give it to you very slowly to see how you respond". I then remember this very weird sensation of vertigo, and my ears started to ring.. I then said "I feel very f**king weird!", and woke up after the procedure.

After the procedure, I had some strange after effects.. I had a very bad headache (I never had it before with other procedures), and then about 12 hours later, I actually fainted. That kind of freaked me out.

Before he started the propofol, he gave me 'something'. I said "What did you just give me?" He said "I never tell anyone my secrets". It felt very opiate like, so I figured it was fentanyl or something. I had Fentanyl once before when I had an ERCP and I remember what it felt like, sort of, and it felt about the same I guess.

Anyway, anaesthesia is some weird stuff!