It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: is 16 mgs enough?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am taking 16 mgs a day OTS (off the street) but I dont think that is enough still have cravings. I am gonna strart seeing a doctor soon and that is all he prescribes. Is there anyway to get stronger doses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

16 mg should be plenty to address physiological cravings, in my opinion. (Most of the people who take doses higher than 16 are taking it for chronic pain.) I look at cravings this way: there are two kinds - physiological and psychological. Suboxone handles the physiological cravings, but even on a high dose what we're left with are the psychological cravings - the thoughts of using that come from triggers and a lack of coping skills. Those we need to figure out ourselves and learn to deal with the normal ups and downs of daily life without reaching for a drug. Suboxone just fills the opiate receptors in our brain, but how we think about opiates is something we have to address aside from the medication. That said, keep in mind this is just my own personal theory. I've found that it rings true for most people.

Best of luck to you!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:54 am 
How long have you been taking 16mg's a day? Do you take 16mg's literally every day? 16mg's is, in my opinion plenty to take care of the cravings. If you havent been taking it very long that could also be why its not completely taking the cravings away. Goodluck and i would most definitely sooner better than later, go through a doctor. Its just not proper to take it off the street like that. I want lecture you but i did want to point that out.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It takes what it takes....up to the ceiling level, which varies among individuals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Unless you are takeing suboxone for pain 16 is more then enough maybe even to much.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking subs for about a two months. I think that alot of not being satisfied is psycological. I cannot help but wish I had more. But I am not understaning this ceiling effect everyone is talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:25 pm 
The feeling of not being "satisfied" is because your not truly stable with sub. I believe i read in another thread where you said you are taking other stuff also. When you get the med through a doctor and take the same dose every day you will become fully stable and as you mentioned "satisfied." Meaning this satisfaction im guessing is your cravings and those will be addressed properly once you go through a doctor an truly stabilize. Seriously, taking it the way your taking it will keep you from being sick when you cant get other stuff but thats about all. As i said, get truly stabilized and then you will see what i mean. When is your doctor appointment? Are you having trouble finding one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:46 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Maybe you should watch Dr. Junig's YouTube videos on suboxone. He explains how the drug works far better than I can.