It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: "A, B, A. B" method?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:59 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi everyone,
I feel everyone's process of dropping their dose (tapering) is different..do not need the lecture on that. I understand the variables everyone is different (myself included). I have successfully weaned myself down to 1mg so not only understand have most likely experienced all the "good, bad and Uglies" of Sub maintenance and tapering. I realize you have to want it, listen to your body, exercise..all that.

I am interested in a process that several people have referenced they follow when they drop and have had huge success with, but I have never had anyone EXPLAIN it out...or provide a complete "mock" schedule so I can atleast visualize it where by I can attempt this process myself -? Im not desperate - I have my own process that works, just interested in another approach as I get to the lower doses as it may work for me too (better then how I do it)?

This process has been noted as the "AB" method but not sure if that is an actual process or just someone's personal description?

anyway, the drop process is generally attempted by mixing in your original dose to the lower doses over a time period (week, month?)? for instance...going from .75 to .625.. -- day 1: .625; day 2; .750; day 3: .625, day 4: .75, day 5; .75, day 6: .625?

Would really appreciate anyone using this method to explain it further and provide the COMPLETE schedule? I am not sure if this ends after 6 days..a week, month>? I do not completely understand if the up days (at the original dose) as in the example above (ie. day4 and 5) if that was planned going into the drop or if that was just nights they ended up taking an extra .125 (ie. trouble sleeping, etc)?

I want to try this method for me dropping from 1mg to .750 but would appreciate seeing an actual complete schedule and even better if you are one of those people who wean in your lower doses over a course of "period" could you send me a mock schedule from 1mg to .750 as an example? I get it it is not set in stone, I get it is works for you but may not work for me, I get ALL that. Just would like to understand the logic behind this up/down (like what does A = and B =)? and do you have any reason..day 4/5 are peaked to day 6? Just trying to see if they have a reason for the days or if it shearly random to how they feel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:31 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am still not sure if tapering really makes any big difference, all I see is stories of all sub users feeling the same in duration of withdrawals and intensity albeit taper or no taper..I think the sub is so strong at low doses and acts like a short acting opiate, that it makes it impossible to taper and not feel withdrawals, if anything worse withdrawals.. Am on 0.7 and I still feel in a fog and sweat everytime I wake up, then 3-4 hours before bed, who wants to go through that to 0? just don't get at this point if tapering will eliminate so much of the duration and intensity of withdrawals, and then there is PAWS to contend with aaah...Am thinking of either rapid detox or Iboga, if there is a tool out there that can shorten withdrawal and depression-PAWS time then make most of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Icarous, I hear you on the thought process of "why bother". I can tell you that there was a point at each drop down to where I am I thought when the initial drop was felt that it would be endless and that this could be the drop that I felt all the way down. I have thought at some point each time I "dose" that Im starting the process over.

However, now that Im down to 1mg..it occurred to me that I never thought I would be able to feel this good at 1mg. Of course, those being on 1mg and already dropped can say 1mg is a piece of cake. Enjoy it while you have it. But my point is if I at one time thought I could ever "get to 1mg" let alone once I did be "comfortable at 1mg" - now, I try to think it though in advance for the smaller doses too.

I believe our body will adjust eventually and that if you are still uncomfortable that means you need more time and you may want to try splitting your dose up.

Case in point...I have been at 1mg for over a year. Way too long but I just havent been ready to drop. Lately, I sought help with someone that I know who had successfully weaned off Sub..going on 2years sober and asked her for pointers to help me get off my "comfortable 1mg" and dose down. I dose twice a day on 1mg (.5/.5 am/pm). The first thing she asked me to do was go back to 1x a day?? Well., I did for about 10 days. I can honestly tell you that if it wasnt for the fact I had already SUCCESSFULLY tapered and leveled at 1mg I would NEVER have been able adjust to 1mg all over again. I went from not even knowing I was on Sub to every morning and every early evening was full of cold sweats/irritability..weird feelings coming back to different parts..feeling the withdrawal AND I was miserable. Truth is, in that 10 day period, I caved and dosed up twice to 1.5mg just because I became so depressed. The only times I ever dosed up in my last year was only once or twice. Dosing 1x a day and in only 10 days I dosed up 2 times (was going to be 3) until I came to my senses and went back to splitting my dose again.

Point is..if you would have asked me to split my dose without having the experience of me already being fine at 1mg for the past year and half ..I would have laughed you out. If 1mg can't hold me..how would .5. But it is true. I was not benefiting from that second .5 (half) because taking at same time it was stacked and timing out at same time (during the dosed period I was not experiencing the benefit of that second dose). That remaining 12 hours was exposed.

I went back to the split dosing and was immediately comfortable. My joy came back..peace - ready to drop again . What a difference a "split" makes.

So before you dose up..or feel like it is too rough..(like I did) try splitting the dose and giving it a try. I was not only ok at 1mg..but then some.

Another trick is to drop less as you go lower. .if .5 can carry me through a full work day, work out, kids, etc...think what dropping .5 would be like. So ease up on the drops each drop. I heard one lady report that .05 was her comfortable zone and anything more made a huge difference to her "experience" post drop. Anything more than that she had harder time adjusting. Even when she got way low..under .333, she felt that she was consistent in her adjusting as long as she didnt drop any more than .05.

Something to consider.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Icaras wrote:
I am still not sure if tapering really makes any big difference, all I see is stories of all sub users feeling the same in duration of withdrawals and intensity albeit taper or no taper..

There are a bunch of people who tapered slow and not suffered too much and didn't have too bad PAWS if you look around.

Icaras wrote:
I think the sub is so strong at low doses and acts like a short acting opiate, that it makes it impossible to taper and not feel withdrawals, if anything worse withdrawals.. Am on 0.7 and I still feel in a fog and sweat everytime I wake up, then 3-4 hours before bed, who wants to go through that to 0?

Low doses need to be split up throughout the day. i.e. : split .75mg into 3 doses of .25mg every 8 hours approx. instead of a single dose and if you are feeling THAT bad, you are going too fast! Feeling bad means your brain is adapting to less sub but the key is to keep it at a level you can tolerate which in my experience gets easier with practice. Your receptors will sort it out but it takes weeks, not days. Rushing to get off sub is going to hurt!

Karen2013 wrote:
Would really appreciate anyone using this method to explain it further and provide the COMPLETE schedule? I am not sure if this ends after 6 days..a week, month>? ?

I wrote down my schedule from 8mg to 1mg and then stopped ....but think more along the lines of 2 weeks or even a month rather than 6 days. My average I guess would be something like 3 weeks. The every other day method for me is a cool way to ease in between dose changes. I would do something like 1mg/.75mg/1mg/.75mg for a week or two and see how you are feeling. I identify where you're at but give it a try, a schedule isn't going to change anything, it's about how YOU FEEL :)

-gb

Post subject: Thanks Glen!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:49 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Glen. I went back an pulled up one of your earlier replies to me. I will attempt to adapt to your schedule. I just need to get around my "obsessive compulsive" attitude that if I go back up alittle its ok...just keep going. I tend to get all disappointed in myself and give up.
Hopefully I will post progress soon.

On the schedule I have been on:

I did test the .25/.25/.25 but never made it past that morning .25. Im so used to the .50 that I felt the need to dose again only one hour after I took the .25. Interesting because I fall back asleep when I take my morning dose so I thought if anything I would sleep through any reduction so at best I could take that next .25 after I get up and my attempt was go as far as I could. I knew I may probably need to adjust since my body is used to having more drug..and potentially take that second .25 earlier for awhile but never thought it would be as early as 1 hour later. Disappointing. But I am still splitting that morning dose anyway to help my body get used to going back to sleep on less and hopefully will stretch that hour out to be more in late morning at best (my goal is to stretch to my afternoon dose time). So my second dose of .25 would be similar to my second dose time now at 2x a day, then take that latter 3rd .25 early evening. .I just hope I get more than an hour out of .25???

I have been ok reducing my evening atlittle. I take .375 right now instead of .5 in afternoon. Only have about a day under my belt reducing my evening. I was hoping to drop both am/pm dose at same time..it just worked out this way. I may try reducing morning to .375 too. (maybe .375 will hold me, just .25 was too steep). So instead of taking the extra .25 one hour later..take only .125. that small difference may hold me all morning which will then put me at .75 (.375/.375).
thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:25 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Karen – try sticking with .375 in the evening and .5 in the am. Stay there for a week. You may have a few nights of interrupted sleep, but it won’t be too bad(the drop from 1mg - .875 should not be tough). You’ve got to deal with a little discomfort if you want to get off this stuff, plain and simple. Honestly, I think your psyching yourself out and over-analyzing things. If you absolutely need to take another .125 one night – fine…but stick to the original plan the following day. Once you’re sleeping good through the night, try reducing your morning dose to .375 as well. Wait a week or so and repeat…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks SouthJax. That is what I will do. I am now about 3/4 days (forget when I actually started) consistent with .5 in am and .375 in evening.

For now I have not caved on the .375 so will plan on reducing the morning in about a week.

I know, I so need to not pay attentions to the withdrawal. I may need to just jump at some point and just get this all over with. For now..atleast I am doing good at .875 and hope to keep going.

Thanks for your suggestion.