It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok so I have tried Suboxone/subutex a handful of times now with no success.
No one including the doctor has an answer for me what so ever. I know getting on Suboxone
From heroin there is going to be some restlessness and withdrawl but the Suboxone is suppose to "help" right?
This last time I was induced in a detox facility with professionals. When I first arrived I spoke to some of the patients and all 3
Of them said to me, " your gonna b in good shape for the first few days they give u Suboxone" "you won't be sick at all!"
So... I'm thinking awesome, I'm gonna get on my Suboxone here and everything is gonna be great. All 3 days I was there I was sick as fuck! Miserable. I sucked it up thinking ok the subs are gonna kick in the subs are gonna kick in. Little did I know they were never going to "kick in". The 3 rd day I'm there the subs hadn't even started working yet this fucking place tells me ok well you have had your last dose of suboxone so from here on out it's ultram. I said oh really? Well I'm leaving lol.
So point of this post is the suboxone isn't fucking working anymore. I remember back a few years ago the shit worked like a charm. I wasn't using nearly as much or for as long tho. Now I actually have a serious habit the shit isn't working!!
So what I've been thinking and have read a bit about is that if someone's tolerance is high enough Suboxone will no longer give the person enough relief to take away withdrawal from the opiate they're using. For me heroin. That's when methadone comes into play when the suboxone will not give the person adequate relief. Does anyone know about this or had experience? Could I take methadone for like a week or two to get over the worst of the dope withdrawals and to get my tolerance down enough to where I could start the sub and it would be effective?
I hear kicking methadone is really really bad. Worse then dope or subs or anything else, so I don't plan on staying on methadone long term. If anyone has had experience similar to this please comment. I'm really close to just sucking it up and cold turkey kicking this shit I've had more then enough. I have things to do and responsibilities enough is enough with this bullshit. Anyhow thanks for reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:14 am 
What detox facility was this ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:35 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

The transition to suboxone is never easy....no matter what anyone says, I too have found that the more serious my habit gets, the harder it is to make the switch. Homer, the guy who posted above me, has a good method that he has discussed on another thread, about slowly building up your blood levels with bupe, while still using. I was too afraid to throw myself into precipitated withdrawal, so I didn't do it....but it's still something to consider. I had my last dose of heroin about 40 hours ago...I took my first bit of sub about 16 hours after, and it didn't give me much relief...I still felt cold, achy, and just overall like crap....but slowly, throughout the day, I took a little more every hour or two, and by night time, I had taken about 8mg, and I felt pretty good...also the fact that I had some Halcion probably helped me sleep. I woke up today feeling about 80%, took about 2mg of sub, and I'm feeling A-OK right now...but yesterday was just a bad day. That's the hardest part...even though you KNOW it's really only going to be one day, maybe two, of feeling like crap until the Sub really helps, it's still the hardest 1-2 days of your fucking life, at least for me. It's not easy...but it's a hell of a lot better than going cold turkey, or continuing the madness of using.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ya I am too afraid to do homers routine too to be honest. Man feel blessed because after 40 hrs I still felt
Like death man. No relief at all. 72 hrs without heroin taking 6-8 Mgs of sub each day I still felt horrible. I guess I just have to suck it up for a week and just be sick..maybe a week without heroin sub will actually work and give me some relief even a little would b awesome!! I swear its still like kickin cold turkey with the subs for some reason I can't figure it nor can anyone else..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jameson304 wrote:
Ya I am too afraid to do homers routine too to be honest. Man feel blessed because after 40 hrs I still felt
Like death man. No relief at all. 72 hrs without heroin taking 6-8 Mgs of sub each day I still felt horrible. I guess I just have to suck it up for a week and just be sick..maybe a week without heroin sub will actually work and give me some relief even a little would b awesome!! I swear its still like kickin cold turkey with the subs for some reason I can't figure it nor can anyone else..

I went from heroin to methadone to suboxone and when I induced I took 4mgs until I felt better. I was on 24mg/ day to feel ok in the beginning, which I think is too high and in hindsight pretty pointless, but perhaps you need a higher dose? Something is wrong here if you're feeling that bad, for that long. You need to play around with it or give it more time.

What are you on right now? Sub still or back to the usual?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(post above)

taking ONLY 8mg of sub, with any 'decent' habit,,,,,, won't provide relief........

i think I've said that before, but hey, worth another shot.

actually, I asked my doctor a few question about people who induct from straight heroin,,, (he has a support group and a program, where ppl that have been on sub over a yr, help the ones, inducing)
HE said, that it's NOT uncommon for THOSE patients, to need 32mg over the first 24hours, and over the first 4-5 days.
i went from methadone, to sub,,,, and I took 24mg, also like tinydancer said,,,,,,
it was still no picnic, for me,
I KNOW I've said that before..........LOL

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I dunno if I would opt for using methadone to "step down" to buprenorphine. The main reason is that methadone has such a dang long half life that's the transition from methadone -> sub is generally rockier than heroin -> sub. That being said, we did have someone come in here reecently whose doctor gave them methadone for a week before their induction. I think his rationale was that a week on methadone gave a bit of stability to better prepare a person for Suboxone. And apparently the transition wasn't too rough because he hadn't been on methadone long enough for it to accumulate in the body.

I wish I had some tips to help with the transition from heroin to Sub ... but my inductions have all been pretty smoothe. But like others said, if you took 6-8mg, your dose coulda been a lot higher... so don't scratch Sub altogether. I've been on methadone and Sub, and (at least for me) my quality of life is much better on Sub.

Also, the ceiling effect from Suboxone is between 8-12mg. Especially in the first few days, you might need even more to keep your buprenorphine levels high enough over the day to keep you from dropping below the ceiling as your dose wears off.