It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Methadone to Suboxone
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'll try to make this as succinct as possible: While waiting to get an appointment with a local addiction doc, my PCP put me on 30mg/day methadone. I had used methadone in the past and tapered off successfully. I didn't get any counseling, so back to using I went. Anyway, after running out of pills and being broke, I went to my PCP, explained I had an appointment with an addiction doc and figure methadone was the best option in the mean time. He agreed. Unfortunately, at the time, neither of us really understood you needed to be in withdrawals to start suboxone. So, I finally saw the addiction doc. He actually got on the phone with the folks at the drug manufacturer for some advice. Between them, my doc and myself, we agreed to try the following: He lowered my methadone dose to 20mg/day for a couple of days. Then I was to take my last 10mg dose of methadone on Friday (yesterday) and show up on Monday at 7:45am to induce me on suboxone. It's been almost 24 hours since my last dose of methadone and I'm not feeling much (yes I know all about the long and very unpredictable half life). I am started to get some goosebumps and hot flashes, so it's on it's way. I'm just hopeful I'm in enough withdrawal (never thought I'd say that) on Monday morning to induce. I want to get this over with.

Any thoughts on this plan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hey b_love.

I've done the switch from methadone to Sub a couple of times I think. My memory's a bit hazy about the whole thing as things were pretty chaotic. But it sounds like your addiction doc knows what he's doing. A weekend to shake off the methadone is a good time-frame, and only having 10mg on the Friday will put you in good stead. How difficult the induction can be depends a lot on your dose of methadone, and also how long you've been on methadone for. It doesn't sound like you've been on it too long, which should be good.

Re the counselling. For me, if I wanna use, I use counselling or no counselling. Counselling can help me "keep on the path" and keep my eye on the prize, and keep me from beating myself up when I do myself any disservice. But for the most part, it's just an aid. Methadone / Suboxone has a lot more bearing on whether I stay away from heroin than counselling ever has. I'm not saying "don't do counselling" because it can be really good. I'm just saying it's no panacea, though you probably already know that.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there!!

I really hope your appointment goes well tomorow!!!!!

When I started suboxone, I went from a pretty HIGH dose of methadone,,,,,,,, My doctor was pretty UNSURE of how I'd
'transition'
the week before I managed to get down to 100mg a day OR SO,,,,,
and then 80,50,40 over the next 7 days,,,

I took 40mg, 48 hours or so before the induction. and got by w/some oxys the day before,,, cuz believe me I was in some
severe (in MY opinion) withdrawls!!!

anyways,,,,,, I was "uncomfortable" for maybe two weeks,,,, three tops,,, but I'd been taking methadone for almost three yrs straight,,,, over 100mg a day, if I had them. LOL
So ,,,,
I really think you'll do JUST FINE :wink:

Nothing wrong with taking things slow, meaning try to start with a small dose of suboxone/subutex
you can always go up,it's harder (at least for ME) to go down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

That's about all I have for ya.......
Wishing you luck ,,, and hope suboxone works for YOU, like it has for me,,,
I hit 19months,, about a week ago,,
feels really good to have changed SO MANY things,,,, gained SO MUCH back in my life.
On a SIDE NOTE............
I gained alot of wieght, when I was on methadone, and ya know I've heard that from SEVERAL people,
so, I dont know about YOU,, I just wanted to throw this out there-----
Since starting the suboxone Ive steadily lost 5-8 pounds a month, for a year and half.
YES, that ADDS UP to quite a bit.........it's actually been more like 2-4 now, the last 4-6months,
but STILL going down,,
that's what counts, right?

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please let us know how things go!!!
if you have any more thoughts/concerns/questions,,,, please ask!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the info. So, for an update. It's Sunday afternoon, and I took my last methadone dose at 6pm on Friday. To be honest I don't really feel too bad. I'm definitely withdrawing (I've done it enough times to know), but I'm not sure I'd even score a 10 on the COWS. My doc seem to be playing around with a number close to 22. Although, I'm not sure that's really necessary, things will have to go downhill pretty quickly in the 15 or so hours before my appointment, which they may very well. I haven't even had diarrhea, and that was always there with past withdrawals. So, I'm not sure what to think. I'm basically having body aches, headaches, and the occassional hot flash (although the hot flashes are turning more to me just being hot all the time, so I think it's getting worse...I guess). I never thought I'd say this, but I hope I start to feel much worse much quicker, or I may find myself walking out of my doctor's office tomorrow feeling like shit, but not quite shitty enough.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok, over 50 hours since last methadone dose and I'm definitely not as bad as I expected. In fact, I would only call this mild withdrawal. Less than a 10 on COWS. So, I'm wondering if this is as bad as it'll get. With only 20mg/day of methadone before stopping, and having only been on methadone for a couple of weeks, perhaps the horrendous withdrawals I was expecting aren't coming. I would surely expect to be feeling much worse by now. However, I still have the night and about 10 hours before the appointment, so things could turn. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WELL,,,,
I'd definitely keep the appt tomrow.
Unless, it was REAL easy to get it?????

most of the time, its a hard thing to GET, though.
and let's say you felt like you caould handle it, and cancelled, then later that
afternoon,,,, your in the worst w/d EVER................................
wouldn't be cool, Im sure.

anyways, it could "turn" at anytime,
or you could be ON to something,and it might not be BAD, at all.

either way, it'd probably be good to take a SMALL dose to get relief.
you could always take a small dose for a week, and stop.......................

It's totally up to you, this is YOUR recover, no one else's.

I would say it's gonna depend MORE on what you were ON, before the methadone, and how much/and how long.....

GOOD LUCK

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

No, it wasn't easy to get, and with Thanksgiving just a couple of days away, two kids to take care of, job, etc., I need to go to this appointment, which is now only an hour away. Last night was not fun. A few times on the toilet, couldn't sleep, hot flashes, etc. I'm definitely in the heat of it, but it's not as bad as it has been in the past. As for what I was on before the methadone, it's probably not as bad as a lot. I was taking, on average, about 125mg - 150mg/day of oxy/hyrdocodone. Whichever I could get my hands on. That habit had been going on for just a few months. Not as bad as it was in the past, long before I ever considered treatment. I went cold turkey off of 300mg/day of oxy. Now, that was a living hell. This is an island vacation compared. That's why I'm convinced it's not going to get any worse, and hopefully my doc will agree. I'll let you know what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow. Sounds like you got to a large dose of methadone for that kinda habit. Did methadone make you feel wasted when you first went on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

No, it didn't. But it didn't make me feel that way before. Maybe a tad sleepy in the afternoon, but not much worse.

Ok, so here's what happened at the appointment. Scored about an 18 on the COWS, plus a rather elevated BP of 140/100. So, needless to say my doc (and me) felt safe about starting with a 2mg dose of suboxone. I felt different within just a couple of minutes, but to be honest, I wasn't sure if I was getting better or worse. So, for a few minutes I was really worried that precipitated withdrawals were on their way. However, this was not the case, thankfully. Over the course of the next hour I steadily improved. So, by the time I left, I felt like a new man! It's been about 3 hours and I still feel fine. I'm so happy! Whew! Doc wants me to do another 2mg around noon, and then a final 2mg in the evening. I'll go back in the morning for a follow up, but he expects to keep me on 6mg/day for a couple weeks, and then begin a slow taper. With luck, I should be completely off shortly after the first of the year. I hope my experience helps someone else, because forums like this gave me additional confidence that our plan was sound, and in the end, it appears it was. Thanks. I'll post more, as I progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Another update: It's been four hours since my second 2mg dose and all is well. All withdrawal symptoms are gone, except a mild headache. And I'm a bit tired, but that's to be expected given my lousy weekend and 30 minutes of sleep last night.

I have to say I was worried. There are plenty of bad induction stories all over the matrix, and I'm very happy that I don't have to include my experience in that poor, poor lot (including those who knew better and took it anyway). So, another dose around 6pm or 7pm and I think I'll be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

GREAT :wink: :wink: :wink:

That's so good to hear.... Im sooooo glad you didnt go into precipitated w/d ............ and Im soooo glad
everything went AS you expected it to!!!

I don't think there's anything wrong with your plan, to taper after awhile....... Just do me ONE small favor,,,
and keep an open mind? I mean like if you start to get anxious you'll use when you go off, or WHATEVER the case may be....
all Im asking is for you to KNOW that YOU DO have options....................
Everyone's recovery plan is different, as it SHOULD be, since ALL of our addictions ARE DIFFERENT, too.

Anyways,, Keep us POSTED :wink:

You"re doing AWESOME!!!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH