It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Methadone to Suboxone
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I used oxy and then heroin for about 2 years rather heavily (about $80-$100 a day), and switched to suboxone after going all the way through my heroin withdrawals (only because i didn't know that our public health division had a program which offers free suboxone until I had already finished all of the withdrawals) about a year ago. After being on suboxone for about 4 months, I became depressed and started to have intense cravings made the worst decision of my life...I switched to 50mgs of methadone a day.

I stayed at that dosage for about 2 months and then began tapering off by 1mg/week. When I got down to 38mg a day, I was handed a letter at the meth clinic which stated that the methadone clinic (the only one in the area) would be closing down in 5 weeks because they weren't making enough money (how this is possible at $9/day is beyond me). I thought about moving to another area but ended up deciding to taper down to 28 mgs and make the switch back to suboxone. No one at the public health department or the meth clinic knew what they were doing and as a result many of the meth patients ended up in the hospital due to precipitated withdrawal for having been told to take the subs to early. I, having read up on it, did not take my suboxone when I returned home. It had been 3 days since my last meth dosage and i wasn't even withdrawing that much yet. I called the pub health dept and asked for the director of the sub program (who by the way is a saint even if she does not really know what she is doing). She was angry that none of the meth patients were given proper instructions for induction and almost fired the employee that had given me my rx and a chart which told me when my withdrawals were bad enough to take the dose. I read the chart and knew i was nowhere near bad enough to take my dose. My pupils weren't dilated, no goose bumps etc. The only symptom I had was the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced in my legs. The director asked me if I had any connections for street drugs and that I should use them just long enough to get the meth out of my system so that I could begin induction from oxy rather than meth. I had not used any opiates but my subs and meth in the last year! But out of fear of precipitated withdrawal, anxiousness about how bad my legs would feel (as well as other w/d symptoms of course) by the time I could take the sub. I reached an old contact and got some percocet by amazing luck. I have used just enough perc to not go through the meth withdrawal these last 4 days and am planning to stop taking percs and get on suboxone 48 hours after taking my last perc dose tomorrow (because that is my last day of work for this week and I all but cannot lose my job).

My question is this: has anyone gone through something like this before? and if so, what am I to expect as regards the length and severity of w/d AFTER having properly administered my first dose of sub? I have never been so scared in my life after experiencing those leg pains at such an early stage in my w/d. I refuse to put the induction off just to save my job but I really hope I don't lose it. There are no jobs in town and this job is awesome. I apologize for the length and scattered nature of my thoughts. Please forgive me, I simply wanted to put it all out on the table and this site is my primary source for info. You are all very amazing people and I thank you, especially Dr. J.

Post subject: Went smoothly
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

The induction went surprisingly smoothly. I feel OK. If the use of oxycontin made this so much easier for me, I wonder why it is not a more popular suggestion? I did read the Suboxone Dox response to someone in a similar situation after having posted this question and was relieved to find that he seemed to agree that it can be very helpful for some people.

Although no one had time to respond to this post, a few people viewed it and I just wanted to say that this forum has been invaluable to me time and again.

Thank you all.