It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: methadone to suboxone
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:48 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been a injection heroin user for about six months. The last 3 weeks I've used about 1/2 gram + per day. I took 1/8 a sub strip Twice a day for the first day and a half. I took 10mg methadone last night and have 10mg left but I'm waiting to take it. After the second 10mg dose does anyone know if it is OK to take another 1/8 of sub strip if i really need to and how long to wait before I do so?

Please note I am only trying to get thru until withdrawal symptoms are tolerable and I am low dosing so I can stretch out the small amount of meds I have access to. Also not taking these to not feel sick at all but rather only to take the edge off of withdrawal symptoms. Don't mind feeling sick but don't wanna feel like death. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

World English Dictionary

'fool's errand'

— n
a fruitless undertaking

Thousands upon thousands of opioid addicts have worked at a 'taper off heroin', using one variation or another of your method. Mixing methadone, a drug with high protein-binding in the brain that makes it last for weeks... with buprenorphine, a partial agonist with a very high affinity for the mu opioid receptor, will be one more method for the history books.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Methadone and suboxone should never be used together. They counter react each other. No Dr would prescribe that mixture. Whatever or whoever told you to do that is wrong.
Even if you were only taking one of these methods, a couple of weeks won't get you clean. You will be using again for sure.
You need to stay on a maintenance program for a period of time. Getting your suboxone and or methadone off the street is a dangerous way to try and get clean.
Talk to a Dr who prescribes Suboxone.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Wow. Not even a good luck or any info on how to do this safely with what I have access to? Gee, thanks. N thanks for telling me I'm gonna be using again no questions asked...........

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tim163, I am sorry that people are not telling you what you want to hear but they ARE being truthful with you! Mixing suboxone and methadone is not only dangerous, it will make your withdrawal symptoms WORSE, not better! Believe me, I understand where you are coming from - my younger brother who has been an addict since he was 17 years old (he will be 37 this year) does the same thing as you at least 4 times a year and he goes right back to the dope everytime! Like you, he wants credit for trying at least! Kudos for trying but IT WILL NOT WORK!!! If you are serious about quitting you MUST seek professional help and pick one - methadone or suboxone, you CANNOT do both and be successful! You need a doctor to monitor your dosage and you need a counselor to help show you how to live a clean, drug-free life! I DO wish you the best!

Last edited by lindapsmoore on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry hon but there is NO WAY to use suboxone and methadone together SAFELY. Have you heard of "precipitated withdrawals?" That is what you are putting yourself through when you go back and forth between suboxone and methadone - you are making the withdrawals WORSE, not better! I was on methadone for almost 3 years and in the last 6 months I tapered down to 13 mgs then I switched over to suboxone - do you know how long I had to wait between my last dosage of methadone to my first dosage of suboxone? 4 days! Methadone is long lasting and if you throw suboxone in there too early you confuse your body and you automatically go into full blown withdrawal which is much worse than if you had waited! If you just want to "take the edge off" I suggest you try some Valeria Root - it is nicknamed "Nature's Valium" and it works wonderfully - I used it during my time between methadone and suboxone. And luck has nothing to do with it, if you are serious about stopping you need to seek professional help and pick one, methadone or suboxone. I wish you the best!