It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm about to make the switch from 10mg of methadone to subutex. I know from experience that it takes about 5 days for the methadone to get completely out of my system. Especially since I have such a slow metabolism these days.

I just got a few 50 mg tramadol which can be bought over the counter in mexico thankfully. I'm thinking after my last day of methadone, I'll sit for as long as I can in wd's over that , which won't be long, maybe 24 hours. Then I'll start taking the 50 mg tramadol for 3 to 5 days so my body adjusts to the short acting meds and the methadone has time to be gone.

The taper the tramadol for 2 or 3 days and then stop it completely and hopefully, unlike with methadone, the wd's from the tramadol will be shorter. Meaning, it will only take 1 or 2 days for it to leave my system rather than 3 to 5 like the methadone.

My fear is that if there is anything in my system when I take my first dose of 2mg subutex they won't go to war making me feel those horrible Pw's. When can a person safely take bup and it will not make you suffer with pw's. I'm so confused.

It's so weird. With methadone, if you take it with another opiate you at least won't get sick. And if you're in hellish withdrawals from not having any opiates it will relieve your misery within minutes. But bup? I'm so confused. When does taking it feel like a relief and not a punishment as in sending you into horrible pw's. I didn't do it right the first time. Only waited 36 hrs after my last dose of methadone and when I took the bup it nearly killed me. BP so high I thought I was gonna stroke out and sick as a dog.

Anyone know if tramadol will help the crossover? Would love an answer to that one. If I don't get it though I'm going to my sub doc. next week and maybe he will know a little more than me. Friggin most docs don't really know what the hell it does to us............thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:54 pm 

I can't pretend to know how the transition from methadone to sub works exactly but I know it's tricky. I went on suboxone after withdrawing from oxycodone and I waited for 32 hrs. I immediately felt relief. I know methadone stays in ur system for much longer than oxycodone obviously. Bk before I ever used and wasn't an active addict yet, my son's father was doing methadone maintenance and wanted to switch to suboxone. The sub Dr told him to go home and not take any methadone for at least four days, I think his methadone dose at the time was around 30mg. He did what the Dr said and I watched him stay in bed for that whole time. When he went bk to the sub Dr, he didn't have any pw issues that I can remember. He didn't stay on sub over a month though so his suffering was for nothing. Most ppl, as long as they wait the normal amount of time, get almost immediate relief once they take their sub for the first time. It's definitely more complicated with methadone though because of how friggin long it stays in ur system. As far as the tramadol, all I can do is guess. But imo if u go off the methadone for four days and still take tramadol, then I'd think as long as u stop the tramadol for about 24 hrs before ur induction....and you've been without methadone for the full four days...I'd think that'd work. I don't see why it wouldn't, but like I said that's just a guess because I have zero experience. Others who have actually been through this, like pugmommy or others can give u much more accurate advice on it.

I just wanted to tell ya that I think that would work and I also wanted u to know that ppl who induce (with the exception of methadone of course) usually have a smooth transition as long as they wait the normal amount of time. I just didn't want ya to think sub is always so difficult, I walked out of my doctors office feeling amazed at how much better I felt. I know this is going to be a rough few days for u but you'll be very happy u did it once everything is said and done :) good luck!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks JennJenn your response helped a lot. REally! Its' good to know that everyone doesn't have long drawn out pw's or a hard time inducting.

Very interesting about your husband. do you mind if I ask why he didn't take to the sub? Just curious.

thanks, megster

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:27 am 

Hey megster :)

To answer ur question, I think that my ex just wasn't really ready to give up the friends and environment that he was around while he was in active addiction. He worked in the coal mine and from what he'd told me, taking pills throughout the day was the normal and he'd ride to work with these ppl while they were using. Also he put himself in situations with old friends that had pills on them a lot. Since he'd only been on suboxone for about a month, I personally don't think he was strong enough to resist that temptation. Someone offered him something one day and he took it and that was when the sub ended. I don't know if he could even feel anything from it because he had been taking his sub, but I also don't think he was ever completely honest about much of anything either so who knows. If he wasn't willing to stop being around pills constantly then he had to know relapse was going to happen. After that I had had enough of trying to change him (which we all know u can't change an addict if they aren't willing to but I wasn't experienced enough to know that). I ended up eventually taking pills too. Can't beat em join em type of thing, and I was just lost during that time and I just fell into using too. Boy was that the biggest mistake of my life! But yeah, you'd assume that because he'd went through all that withdrawal from methadone to sub that he'd been totally ready but I guess not. Even though he's the father of my youngest son, my son doesn't even remember what he looks like. I have no idea where he is or what happened to him. That's the nature of addiction. Hope that answers ur question lol I didn't mean to write a book :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for answering my question JennJenn. It certainly makes sense what you said. I appreciate it! m