It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

For the third time I have not gotten pain relief with non opiate meds. Frustrated with long term opiates I just wanted off. Tried neurontin + amitriptoline + Motrin, then lyrica + nortriptoline + Celebrex, and cymbalta Effexor andsome new antidepressant that made my ears ring. Also tried tramadol q6 then tramadol ER, nothing helped and the side effects of all these combos were bad.

So....I am now faced with either low dose methadone or long term suboxone. I was told that methadone is best for nerve pain, and did find some studies that support that, but none about suboxone for nerve pain. Seems methadone also acts like an antidepressant on brain chemistry. My pain me really wants me to try methadone 20-30 msg a day plus lyrica 100 msg per day and Motrin 800 msg per day. I get it that 3 drugs with different modes of action r better than one alone. That's not the issue. It's going back on a synthetic opiate that I am worried about.

Any thoughts / experience on methadone for neuropathic pain?

Thanks, PeteS

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pete

I have chronic pain which includes nerve pain (radicular neuropathy & fibromylgia) & I am doing ok on suboxone, lyrcia & motrin (800 mg dose's when necessary). No matter what i take i will always have some pain. Some days are great, just some slight discomfort. When i was on opiates i never felt anything & did more damage to my body which i now regret.

The choice is up to you of course. Suboxone may not work for you as it does for me. I just wanted to share my experience.

I have no experience with methadone for pain. I am interested in which you choose & how you do so please keep updating.

Tiki

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tiki thanks for the reply. It's helpful to hear from another chronic pain patient. Plus you nailed it you said you always have some pain no matter what I take. My life sucks, prior to stopping morphine I was fairly active, off it life is a trip to the gym and then an afternoon and evening of pain. If I go to a movie and dinner , it's 2 days on the couch with pain.

I'm there and not looking for a magic bullet, but I had good pain control wit MS Contin. It was me who, tired of the opiate side effects, asked to stop and other stuff. I've had no luck and the guy I see will only use methadone or subox. I think my hand is going to be forced here, as he will not write prescriptions for Sub, I can only get it from his office and he charges $350 for a box of 10. My insurance will not cover it unless he writes a Rx then it's a $10 copayment.

Kind of catch 22. Not sure what to do.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi PeteS. I have sciatica and bad nerve pain...I am 43 and been through it ALL. I have landed on Suboxone 24mg/day; Cymbalta 30mg/day and Lyrica 300 mg/day. Like you say, different meds target different areas. The thing with methadone is you get immune to it, causing you to up the dose. Suboxone has a ceiling which really works well.
Talk to your Dr and maybe give it a go. You have to have the liberty to play around with dosage. Good luck, you will get it and be ok...I really hope so.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey PeteS. My situation is similar to yours, I have delt with chronic pain since I was 17 which I am only 24 now but it feels like a lifetime when your constantly hurting. I have Scoliosis and kyphoscoliosis. I was on perc for 7 years and got sick of using everyday. My Dr at the time was amazing he introduced me to suboxone and out me on 8mg twice a day... here is the catch that wasn't working for me when I moved to Florida my insurance would not cover sub so I could only buy 5 at a time. And boom down to 4mg a day and it actually helps way more than the 16mg a day, there are a lot of people who can explain why it helps to take lower doses multiple times a day for chronic pain I don't fully understand how but it's true. I take a bit after lunch then dinner then bed. I would like to know which med you went with because at this point my Dr is wanting to switch me to methadone because we are having a hard time covering sub and me being a stay at home mom obviously doesn't pay for it. Hope I helped a little. Oh and I've been on sub for 3 years.