It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi guys its me again. i am now down to 33 mg's of methadone and will be taking 28 on my last day (sunday morn) and i am going to be inducted on wendsday morning (early) i am not doing this at all by protocol. i have rapidly decreased over the past month from 60 to 33 mg's. i know you are supposed to be at 30 mg's for at least a week prior to switching. so i am a bit nervous. my dose has been holding me over until the next day but i do wake up feeling a little clammy with minor hot and cold sweats. i know this is due to the rapid decrease. this is just my last option i HAVE to make this induction work. i am just scared to death of how bad the withdrawals are going to be and possibly being thrown into Precip with. from not doing things according to protocol. has anyone else made the switch from methadone to suboxone and had relief from the first sub dose? i hear it takes a few days to get used to the switch. i have no money so i cant use any short acting opiates during the in between period which i do not want to do anyway because i would feel like that would be a major set back for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Don't be scared. The good news is that it seems you'll be forced to wait a fair amount of time between your last meth dose and first sub dose. I can't say whether you'll get relief or not, I'm hoping you do and it's totally possible.. I don't think you'll go into p/w on this schedule..

Hang in there and just do it.. Don't be scared. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the input, as an update... things kinda went haywire at the pharmacy ( all suboxone scripts being covered by my insurance need a prior authorization from your doc in order to be filled and the state is closed on monday the day after easter. and where i am on methadone i dont know if they are going to cover it... either way i will get the perscription if i have to pay cash or not. so as of right now, i am planning on my last day on methadone being tuesday or wednesday. and my induction will be on friday or saturday. i am not planning on staying on sub for more than 3 months TOPS, hoping for more like 2 but i dont want to rush anything too much. my insurance is running out on my 21st bday (July 10th) so that is my last day no matter what, i am simply using the sub. to ease the withdrawal from the methadone. i do not want to start a new addiction. i want nothing more then to be free of all opiates but the sickness and long recovery time scares/depresses me to the hilt. i always thought i was a strong minded person until i tried quitting methadone, i am an emotional wreck crying at the drop of a hat, stressing over what has not even happened yet! i went down extremely fast and it is now catching up with me big time, i feel good all day but cannot sleep more then 1 or 2 hours at a time at night, and i know its going to get worse before it gets better, i just hope i am making the right choice by going on sub, and that withdrawal from that wont be as bad or long as methadone. i will stay in touch throughout my induction.

ps. just read about brigginator, he just did the exact same thing as me minus the fast taper and he is doing well, this gives me a lot of hope.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:48 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I was on 100 mg of methadone when I switched to suboxone and I waited only 4 days and was fine. No need to worry you'll be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i just over think everything :). i took my last 33 mg dose today at 8 a.m. i was supposed to not dose today which i didnt realize til after the fact... good news is my insurance will cover the switchover from methadone to sub. i am nowhere near stable at this dose, it lasts about 21-22 hours before i start to feel sweats and anxiousness. my apt. is on weds. at 8 am... so i will only have 48 hours inbetween instead of the recomended 72... which i am hoping my doc will dose me that morn and not send me home for another day. i am hoping 48 hours will be enough considering i feel the start of withdrawal so soon after dosing but i will let the COWS sheet be the judge. ill stay in touch and let you all know how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just wondering why the switch?

I've heard good and bad stories about this switch to be honest more bad. But it really comes down to you your body and how bad u want it. Which from the look of things you want it so just keep that positive outlook and you'll do just fine good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

to be honest... the only reason i want to switch is because i hear it is easier to come off then the methadone. i am scared to death of precip. withdrawals and i dont know if i am ready for the switch. it is kinda too late for me to turn back now tho... as my insurance cut off funding for the clinic today and started to fund the suboxone. i hear that it is less painful to stop sub then methadone. i am not stable at all on my dose and i am doing things not by the book. if this does not work i dont know what i will do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi nick,

If you are purely going from methadone to suboxone because you think it will easier to eventually taper/ jump, I wouldn't do it. But, since you also mention instability on methadone along with the insurance issues, it could be a good idea. I don't know what you mean by "not doing things by the book" exactly, but I had a hard time just staying clean on methadone. I guess you could say I wasn't stable either. It worked fro the most part but not entirely. I still had cravings here and there. Switching to suboxone did change that for me and I felt much more "stable." It was a rough transition for me, truth be told, but I did not wait nearly as long as you are waiting.. and I still feel, in the end, it was worth it.

How long are you thinking of doing maintenance for? Are you wanting to taper/ jump soon? Or are you ok with being on ORT for a little while?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

today is my first day off methadone, its exactly 24 hours since my last dose of methadone and atm i am ok, slept a good 8 hours last night for some magical reason (havent been sleeping well during decreases), withdrawal is starting to poke its ugly head tho, above average size pupils, waves of anxiousness and clammy skin. i am knowing it will get worse but am praying to god for the best. the reason i am doing the switch is a number of reasons, 1. no more driving 2 hours everyday round trip to the clinic, and 2. yes i have heard it is somewhat easier to taper from suboxone then it is on methadone... and that the withdrawals are not as intense, which i know it is dif for all people but i just dont like the clinic system anymore, i am ready to be done with opiates for good, i am not even 21 yet and id rather die then go back to shooting up. it is a last ditch effort really, ins. running out in july so that would be the end of my treatment whether i am ready or not, my plan is to stay on suboxone for 3 months tops, start to finish just hoping that will ease the terrible endless methadone withdrawal and the PAWS along with it. i just praying that this works it is my only option at this point, too late to turn back. how long were you on sub before you stopped? and what i meant by not going "by the book" was that i tapered way too fast, and am switching over from higher then the reccomended dose of methadone. i am very nervous about all of this but i have it set in stone what my plan is and nothing is going to stop me from achieving my goal. although it is easy to say that when i am not in full w/d.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You're doing good, Nick! Hang in there, you just have to get through today. I can understand your reasons for switching, makes sense. You're still so young and have so much life ahead of you, you've got the right attitude to make some changes. You should try and find some type of support group/ person for the road ahead. I am hoping tomorrow is the smoothest of transitions for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

its 230 am, 42 hours from my last dose of methadone. and i am not even sick yet, am i that saturated? i cant sleep and am hot and cold, had muscle/bone pain earlier but it went away. it seems like every couple hours i get a mini 5 minute episode of feeling dopesick then it vanishes. i am very scared that i am not going to be sick enough for induction in 6 and a half hours and dont know what to do. i guess ill try to lay down again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey nicky peanut, how are you doing?? Have you induced yet? Either way, I hope you're getting by.. look forward to hearing from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Nicky peanut huh>? :) NO!!! i havent yet........... i dont get it. i am not getting any sicker. i feel really good atm actually. it has been 57 hours since my last dose of methadone and i feel NO withdrawals other than a lil achey and chills/sweats that are not even noticeable once in a while i get a wave of blood pressure increase but it only happens when i try to catch a lil zZzzZ. haven't slept more then 1 or 2 hours but other then that i cant complain. either i am extremely saturated with methadone or this sickness is not going to happen for some magical reason that i cannot explain. is it normal for me to feel this good this long without methadone>?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

lol.. yes, peanut is one of my terms of endearment, especially for those still blessed with youth. :wink:

It's so hard to say how this is going to go for you!! I wish I knew.. Sometimes we play up the brutal w/d in our heads and when it actually happens, we're pleasantly surprised the symptoms are not as bad as we thought they'd be. I'm hoping this is the case for you. It could also be, as you know, the long half life of the methadone but you're quite a ways out and I'm really hoping that the dramatic taper you did, to get to this point, helped you out in this stage. Wait it out, peanut! Maybe.. just maybe.. it won't be so bad? If you end up with an easy w/d, you may consider just skipping the sub.. since you only planned on taking it a few months anyway. No use in tapering/ jumping off two things. Obviously though, use it if you need it.

Keep me posted, I am rooting for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Update: 75 hours after last methadone dose... STILL no major withdrawal????? What the heck is going on here. like i said before either i am saturated in methadone or i was blessed by god... has anyone gone this long without feeling sickness??? my only concern is that i have not slept in over 48 hours other then that i feel.... good!>? i dont want to say im out of the woods yet but it is weird that after this long i am not feeling any major symptoms besides lack of sleep, minor back and leg pain that tends to come and go, and anxiety... which only happens right when im about to sleep and then BOOM gotta get up and walk around or do something. i dont get it... most people induct by now. whats going on hereeeee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Nicky,

I have been following your thread. I havent responded yet because I just don't have any experience with methadone. But I kinda felt like you needed a little encouragement and I can totally do that! I am a little confused on one thing, did you already see the sub doctor and they gave you some to take home for self-induction or do you have to go to the office when you are ready to induce? If you have some subs already I would just continue to wait it out. From what I hear you don't want to mess with the precip. withdrawal! I think that Tiny gave you some good advice...maybe you just aren't going to have that nasty WD you were expecting. Wouldn't that be amazing???? Just try to stick it out a little longer and see what happens, don't rush it and try not to over think things. I know for me when something doesn't go how I expect it to it can really mess with my head. Just enjoy the time you have right now feeling ok and if the withdrawal does start you can deal with it then. I for one am hoping that you can just drop off the methadone and never look back. Either way it sounds like you have your head set to stay sober and that is HUGE. You have your whole life left to live, and now you have a chance to do it drug free. Pretty cool!

Good luck, keep us posted k?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is great news!! I'm so happy to hear that this has been tolerable for you so far. I think this is a win-win situation, regardless of what comes next.

1) You were able to hold off over 3 days (at the very least!!) before starting a sub dose.. I really think you're out of the p/w woods at this point.

2) Best case scenario is that you're able to just get off everything and try a new start in recovery. If this were to happen, you should find a support group and always keep your sub doc's info handy. Better to get on subs if you feel weak down the road than to lapse on heroin, especially if injecting.

Keep us posted.. I am absolutely hoping and praying for you during this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks everyone for their input! Yes my doc gave me 28 2-mg subs to induct myself since i was not in withdrawal on induction day. and now going on 87 hours without any methadone, they still have not happened.... i am SO thankful for this at this very moment but don't want to count my chickens early. the one symptom that has persisted is INSOMNIA!!!! I have not slept more then a wink going on 3 nights. i have tried everything, clonodine, benadryll, Niquill, nothing is touching this sleep deprivation. everytime i just about doze off, i start to sweat and my body says, NOPE UR NOT GETTING SLEEP. but, i cant complain. i will take no sleep for as long as it takes if i dont go through nasty methadone withdrawals. i have noticed my sense of smell and taste are over whelming at some times, my dad was cooking something and the smell just about made me gag. other then that, nothing.

gonna take another shower, that seems to make me go to sleep for maybe 10 mins. ill take what i can get at this point. like i said i cant complain too much atm. i feel fine i just know lack of sleep will get to me sooner or later. i am not taking suboxone (if at all/ or until) i am in full blown withdrawal. which hasnt happened yet. Keep ya updated.

Nick-O ( my dad and some of my friends call me that)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

it is 5 days i have not had methadone. 6 days since last dose, and still no withdrawal?????? has anyone every heard of such a thing>?..... but i am becoming more desperate than ever to get ANY sleep... i have gotten 1-2 hours total sleep in the past 4 days. i am thankful im not puking and crapping myself but the sleep deprivation is really starting to get to me. i have a constant headache from it, i feel foggy and like everything isnt real. i am scared to drive cuz i dont want to crash. i have tried everything from the last post and got perscribed seroquel and still NADA. i dont get it. i dont want to sound like a winey baby but i dont know how much more sleep i can go without. my body is exausted but my head wont let me sleep. just took some calcium-mag-zinc hoping that might help but doubt it. i would take a suboxone but i am not dope-sick. if there is still methadone in me i dont know how it is possible. any suggestionss on a sleep med would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I personally try to avoid seroquel. If it were me, in your shoes, I'd ask for clonodine (if you don't have any already,) and a small script for a long acting benzo (Valium or Klonopin.) The benzo will help you sleep and get thru this tough time. It's often lack of sleep that is the hardest part of w/ds. You're lucky that you're getting through without the major physical w/ds but lack of sleep is really hard to deal with. I feel for you. Talk to your doc about the above mentioned meds. Let him know you're getting by without suboxone but need a little help with sleep & anxiety for a short time.

Good luck peanut!!