It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:04 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I will do my best not to draw this out but at the same time provide the necessary info to get the help and advice I need.

I have been taking methadone for the last 10 years, in the last 2 years my dose has been between 90-150 depending on how I feel that day. I have read over and over that protocol for methadone patients is to get down to 30mgs and wait 72 hrs or until you score a 26. Unfortunately I dont have the luxury of getting my dose that low due to the simple fact im out of methadone and im ready to do this now. So one of my questions is cant I just wait longer, say maybe 5 days or until I feel im ready to start?
Next, my biggest fear like many is PW's especially coming off of methadone and at my dose I feel no matter how long i wait i will encounter this, if I do end up in PW's , is it best to hold out another 24 hrs and try to start the next day or what? I have read until I cant read anymore but I have read so many different opinions on this matter. Last my doctor prescribed 2x8mg a day which seems like a lot, is it true if I just take 2 mg and my body isnt ready vs taking the whole 8mgs the PWs wont last as long?
Any advice on this matter would be greatly greatly appreciated, I cant tell you how bad this switch from methadone to sub has consumed me,Im literally terrified. I just want it to be over, be on a stable dose of suboxone and feel normal again. I have the most beautiful 3 year old little girl and there is nothing more i want then to be drugfree watching her grow up.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:22 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I switched at around 15 to 20mgs of Methadone to Subs . I don't remember having any WD's at all. If I did wait, I waited like 12 hrs. If I remember correctly, I took 4 or 8mgs of Subs for the first dose. If you wait 24 to 36 hrs, and take 2 to 4mgs of Subs you should be fine. Take 1 or 2mgs and wait and see what happens. If you have no trouble, then you are good to go. I was on Methadone for 4 years.
No worries,
Happy
When was your last dose of Methadone and how much? If you are on 100 to 150 mgs, I would wait as long as you can. I think I misunderstood your post. If you were on 30mgs, you could wait 24 to 36 hrs. The Methadone clinics want you under 30 mgs when you make the switch. Because it is a full agonist.
I think Methadones half-life is 56 hrs, so at least wait that long if you can.
Drink plenty of water to begin flushing it out of your system will help the transition over.

Last edited by happyg1961 on Sat May 30, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:00 pm 

Hey Blue,
Welcome to the forum,although I have zero experience in switching ive known others that have. Imo, waiting and scoring 26 or more is the safest way to avoid pw s.

If you can wait it out, the better off you will be.

Id like to direct you over to the Talkzone, Dr Junigs blog . Read: "Methadone to Suboxone Conversion". Some good points and information there.

You seemed to have stopped at a high dose 90mgs or more?. You will need time for the methadone to leave your system. .

But you know this already.

When you do start, yes go slowly and continue until you stable.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you guys much for the replies and wise words!

Razor,
I found Dr junis Blog but couldn't find the article, is there a place to search for articles there that Im missing? Thank you for the reassurance!

Happy,
My last dose was 150mgs and it was this morning, FYI I have had a pit in my stomach all day until I read your message, first reassuring thing I have heard from someone that has been on it so I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:09 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Blue,
I am just bumping this to the top in hopes of getting some more responses from people with some experience with Methadone. Seems there is not too much knowledge of Methadone on here.
So please people, post your experiences!
Thanks
Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:29 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Happy!

Blue

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:47 pm 

Here you go, bluetango!

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/methadone-t ... onversion/

There is a search function at the top of the talkzone page called "suboxsearch". After you click on that, you can choose to search on the talkzone or the forum. Just in case you need to find something again.

Amy