It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Methadone question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Can regular M.D.'s prescribe methadone or does it have to be the same kind of doctor as an addiction medicine doctor?

Post subject: prescribing methadone
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It depends on which country, and then which state. For the most part, the doc has to be registered as a prescriber after certification, and then the pt will be on a clinical program. So, that's it really. For some reason methadone is harder to get than lot's of other opiates. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Also, methadone can be prescribed for pain outside of a clinic environment (here in the states) by (I think) pain doctors. In that situation, methadone comes in pills rather than the liquid that's handed out for addiction at the clinics.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Any pain management Dr can prescribe methadone 100% as of say your family DR if he has a license number from the DEA and can prescribe controlled substances than he can also prescribe methadone.

As I am sure you already know methadone in a private setting can only be given to a patient for pain and pain only. If the DEA in anyway thinks the Dr is treating said patient for chemical dependency he will lose his DEA number meaning he can no longer prescribe controlled substances and in most cases lose his job if not license.

But your best bet is to go to a pain management DR if you don’t want to go to a clinic but be careful with the pills they are very strong compared to the liquid. That is why when you read about people getting methadone from a DR not a clinic they are on doses like 25mg vs. liquid any were from 10mg to 300mg in very rare cases. Also that is why most pharmacy wont fill meth scripts over a certain MG.

Post subject: WRONG!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:17 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Bboy42287 wrote:
Any pain management Dr can prescribe methadone 100% as of say your family DR if he has a license number from the DEA and can prescribe controlled substances than he can also prescribe methadone.

As I am sure you already know methadone in a private setting can only be given to a patient for pain and pain only. If the DEA in anyway thinks the Dr is treating said patient for chemical dependency he will lose his DEA number meaning he can no longer prescribe controlled substances and in most cases lose his job if not license.

But your best bet is to go to a pain management DR if you don’t want to go to a clinic but be careful with the pills they are very strong compared to the liquid. That is why when you read about people getting methadone from a DR not a clinic they are on doses like 25mg vs. liquid any were from 10mg to 300mg in very rare cases. Also that is why most pharmacy wont fill meth scripts over a certain MG.

the 10mg pills given in the pharmacy are no more or less potent than liquid (in hospital or clinical settings). they make 5 and 10mg pills for the pharmacy. the 40mg dispersable are reserved mainly for clinics or detox facilities. the liquid is measured in Ml, usually 10mg/Ml or 5mg/Ml according to solution. if a Dr gives his patient 60mg tid- thats 180mg/day =18(10mg) pills per day= 480 (10mg) month...any dr with a dea# can Rx, but usually anesthesiologist, even nurse pract with DEA#'s working beneath him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:00 pm 
Bboy42287 wrote:

Liquid methadone and pill form methadone are no different in strength.
The reason sometimes we will see pain patients on lower milligrams than MMT patients is because, unlike addicts on Mdone they don't need the blockade effect and lowering of cravings us addicts need which is provided by doses over 120mg. Pain patients are only using for analgesic effect of the methadone, which for some I've seen can be as low as 5mg QID. Also, there is no limit as to how much many methadone tablets/mg's a Dr. can prescribe to patients. It is schedule II, so of course there can't be refills, only 31 days dispensed at a time, and a RX has to be hand-delivered to the pharmacy.

-T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yea i guess the info i had was wrong than thanks for clearing that up Travis. If I recall correctly the reason I thought this was because, something about how the pills work better and you get more of the dose from it or something like that. But hey still learning about this stuff so I have a open mind.

Post subject: bboy,
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:34 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Bboy42287 wrote:
Yea i guess the info i had was wrong than thanks for clearing that up Travis. If I recall correctly the reason I thought this was because, something about how the pills work better and you get more of the dose from it or something like that. But hey still learning about this stuff so I have a open mind.

yup, you still are learning