It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Anyone else seen this?

http://www.methadoneman.org/

It's a bit corny. I spent a few minutes following the funding to see who / what was behind the initiative. Seems it's backed by George Soros' Open Society Institute, a think-tank that's all about breaking down communism and furthering the free market. Seems benign, at least in comparison to RB's marketing tactics.

One thing that I noticed in the videos is their emphasis on how methadone and buprenorphine benefit society by reducing HIV and reducing crime. I've wondered in the past whether maintenance programs are championed moreso for the benefit of society as a whole than the addicts themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I gotta say... I laughed pretty hard the first time I saw the picture of those two posed as super heroes in a comic book lol. And one is green and one is orange. Classic lol.

But.

I guess I understand how it could be pushed to say it benefits society by lowering hiv and crime rates if you really wanted it to. But that's kind of messed up to say. That's almost like saying by eradication of gay men would be beneficial to society to lower hiv and discotechs. Lol. So wrong.

Suboxone is for the sick bastards that tried every other possible solution to stay clean of opiate drugs. IMHO.

It's like they are saying that saving the lives of thousands maybe even hundreds of thousands of addicts isn't as important as stifling hiv a little but or crime rates by a small small fraction. Ya know?

Oh well. Can't win em all I guess.

Lets think of other characters to combat these two "super heroes" lol. Addiction Gremlins and Withdrawal Trolls lol.

Hope you are doing well Teejay. Glad to see the humour in something.