It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: meth to sub
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

let me start with a little history here. i was perscribed pain pills after a back injury about 6 years ago. i used them exactly as perscribed for 1 year but once my dr took me off them i got sick as hell. at 1st i thought i had the flu. i had the runny nose, muscle pain, etc.... symptoms and wasnt familer with addiction or withdrawl. after 4 days or so my friend explained to me that i may be feeling that way because of the meds so he gave me a 20mg oxycontin and boom, i felt better. i was scared as hell at the time finding out that i needed something just to function normally and continued my oxycontin use for another year or so.

after that time period i checked myself into a methadone clinic in hopes of getting off drugs completly and that was probably the worst decision i ever made. i had good insurance thru work and should of just went to a detox center for a week then a rehab center for a month but at the time a month seemed to long to me and i figured i can just use the meth to taper myself off in a few months. well that was 4 years ago. i went as high as 130mgs a day then slowley tapered down to 25mgs over the years. after 4 years and never having a dirty urine i still had to make weekly visits and i dreaded them. i had to visit the clinic every thursday and dreaded that day all week long. i have to work early and they opened at 5am but there was always a huge line so i got stuck down there for a long time and was always late on thursdays. half the time the computers at the place were down or slow so that held up the process then after waiting in line for 45min i would get up to the window only to have the nurse tell me i had to go see my counsler. my counsler would have a hold on my everyother week just to tell me to hit a group even though i never missed one in all of my 4 years there. it was insane because i was tossed back to the end of the line and the majority of the people in front of me that camped out there overnight dosed then went back home and went to bed. they didnt have jobs so why did they need to be there that early!!

well enough was enough and i made the switch to suboxone 2 weeks ago. i took my last dose of meth at 3am friday morning then used a few perc's up until 4pm sunday to keep me from going into withdrawl. monday morning at 8am i went into the dr's office starting to feel the withdrawl. i had a headache, leg pain and anxiety by that point but it wasnt as bad as i thought. the dr gave me 2mgs to start and after 20min or so gave me another 2mg and continued until i had 12mgs of suboxone in me. i instantly felt better and couldnt belive how well it worked.

its been 2 weeks now and im feeling great. i dont have the highs and lows i had on meth. i have no desire to use any drugs nor have i for years, i just want to run my course and get off. i know 2 people who got off both suboxone and meth and they both said sub's were a cake walk compared to meth and thats the main reason i switched.

anyway, just wanted to share my story since im new here. i look forward to reading the other posts here and learning as well as helping the other members.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

gavin-

Welcome to the site. Congrats on getting off of Methadone, it is very difficult as I have witnessed. I am still learning about Methadone, but do know quite a bit about Suboxone and from what I know so far- I would not choose Methadone for my recovery.
You mentioned pain issues being the cause of your opiate dependency, are you still having pain issues? How do you deal with them? Are you going to have to alter how you handle pain now that you are on Suboxone?
Did your doctor keep you on 12mg? Thanks for sharing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My pain issues are gone. I'm thankfully done with that. As for the dose I'm at 16mgs and won't go any higher even though I was reccomended to. I feel great so there is no need. I love not having the highs and lows I had on meth.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Congrats on the transition from methadone to suboxone. I have used methadone before (not for maintenance) and I have to say it was the worst withdrawls I have been through. I have used suboxone for 2 years now but was off and on it before and the withdrawls were nothing compared to alot of other opiates. Im new to this site too I just kinda come in and started posting and its been an educational experience. Continue to post Id like to know how your transition goes.
BTW are you planing on using suboxone as a maintenance medication or just a short amount of time?
Take care and God Bless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My game plan is to stay steady on my dose for 6 months then slowley taper down to almost nothing. If this was a perfect world I would be off in a year(actually I would never be on) but I don't really care if it took 2 years or a little more as long as I do well. My desire to use has long been gone but like most,I'm scared to lose my crutch. When I was waiting for the meth to leave my body I took percs to keep me from going into withdrawls and could easily of taken enough to get high one more time but had no desire. I had 20 of them from when I had my wisdome teeth pulled a few years ago and kept them just incase myself or anyone else ever needed them.

Sorry for any run on sentences or mispelled words but I'm driving home from work and typing on my iPhone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dude, don't type and drive. That's practically worse than driving drunk. We'll be here when you get home.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Diary of a Quitter wrote:
Dude, don't type and drive. That's practically worse than driving drunk. We'll be here when you get home.

agreed, texting or even speaking without a wireless device is dangerous.

can you move this thread to the induction section please? i just realized i started it in the wrong place. thanx