It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had decided to meet with the pediatrition that I have chosen before the baby is born to discuss a plan and the possibility of NAS for when baby is born. My mom actually used to work with this doctor years ago and I have heard that he is the best in town. I live in a small area and we don't have any methadone clinics or anything like that, in fact we don't even have a suboxone doctor anymore so I have to go 90 miles out of town for mine. So, my counselor who is very familiar with suboxone treatment had told me that he has had 2 other patients deliver babies here and that basically the hospital knew nothing about it, he didn't give me hardly any info at all for some reason when I tried asking about the other 2 and their experiences, the only thing he said was the last one they kept the baby for 5 days but didn't know if it was in the NICU or what but just that the baby didn't really have any problems with withdrawal but the mother didn't feel like the hospital staff was supportive and her doctor was convinced before she even had the baby that it would have bad NAS. That concerned me and I though great, what am in in for? My OB hasn't really talked about it as I don't believe she knows anything either, she basically said it would be up to whoever was taking care of my baby when she's born. My sub doctor is very knowledgeable but she's in another bigger city where the protocol there is that the babies be taken to the NICU and kept for usually 5 days which she told me she doesn't necessarily agree with but it isn't up to her. Anyhow, this pediatrition that I saw today had never heard of subutex when we called to schedule the appointment and then today he didn't even pronounce it right, lol. However, he was very knowledgeable about NAS and said he has dealt with it numerous times I'm assuming from women that have been taking other opiates while pregnant and I think he must have done some research on subutex before we got there today because he seemed to know quite a bit aside from not being able to pronounce it, lol. I told him my biggest concern aside from the baby having NAS was that they were going to take and keep her in the NICU right away for monitoring as this I know is protocol for bigger hospitals. I do not believe in this unless it is severe or if there are other problems. I strongly feel the babies should be with their mothers so they can start the bonding process, breastfeed, have that extra human comfort and cuddling, etc. even if they do have NAS this will help them rather than laying alone in a crib in the NICU and being taken care of people who are not their mothers. I also want to be able to be there when the baby is scored for withdrawal to make sure that it is being done accurately, as I have heard of nurses that will take any little symptom that could be normal newborn stuff and use it as a withdrawal symptom. Of course if she does have it I want her to be treated appropriately but I don't want them making a bigger deal of it than it is. I was quite surprised when he didn't even bat an eyelash about it and assured me that unless there are other problems the baby will stay in the room with me and not have to be taken to the NICU for NAS monitoring/treatment. He said that he will most likely keep her a couple of extra days which I had already expected but that I'll be able to room in. He said that rarely ever do the NAS babies he has taken care of need medication for the NAS but that even if in the event that she did, she may even be able to be discharged home while still on the medicine with a taper plan and follow up visits. I am so relieved after this! I just pray that my little angel does not have to suffer with serious NAS, none at all would be great! 8 weeks left until my due date but I think I am going to have her around 37-38 weeks. It's just a feeling I have! Hopefully no sooner, my son was born at 35 weeks after my water just broke out of the blue, but we were lucky and he was fine had zero problems except being a tiny 4 lbs, 14 oz. :) Soooo (I know I tend to write novels, lol) but I just wanted to share and suggest to other mommies to be that they might want to meet with the doctor ahead of time who will be caring for their little one to discuss concerns and plans so that you are not blindsighted with anything after having birth. Everyone here on this forum I think is wonderful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good for you for being proactive! And awesome that the doctor seems really cool. I totally agree with you about the babies rooming in and needing to be around their mama right after birth. I hope all goes well for you and your little one.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for sharing what you found out :) I have an appt with my baby's pediatrician-to-be in 2 weeks and I'm hoping to have some of my fears alleviated also!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:53 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Chaotic!

Im so happy to hear that you're being proactive in you/your baby's healthcare. It SO IMPORTANT (especially for those of us on Sub maint.) to ask questions, do research to find accurate information, and to become an advocate for ourselves.

It seems as though many people on Sub, read something in a blog, or hear a story and take it as the ABSOLUTE TRUTH.
I remember when I first learned I was pregnant, I was all over the internet.....reading horror stories. It scared the crap outta me!

It wasn't until I became proactive (like you are), that I was able to find accurate information, realize what my options were, and FINALLY ease my mind.

You said-
"I told him my biggest concern aside from the baby having NAS was that they were going to take and keep her in the NICU right away for monitoring as this I know is protocol for bigger hospitals. I do not believe in this unless it is severe or if there are other problems. I strongly feel the babies should be with their mothers so they can start the bonding process, breastfeed"......

I do realize that EVERY hospital probably has different rules/regulations, and a specific protocol for NAS babies. But, its my impression, that unless your baby has OTHER issues (requiring NICU care)......that the doctors/nurses WANT the babies to stay with they're mothers as much as possible, BEGINNING IMMEDIATELY AFTER BIRTH.

While I was pregnant, my husband/I spoke with ALL of my Doctors, even my Anest. (for the C-Section) to come up with a plan. We took a tour of the hospital. And, we talked to one of the NICU nurses, to find out about specific rules. My O.B. then spoke with the Ped. (who would be on-call at the hospital at the time of my delivery), and suggested to him that our baby should stay at the hospital for three days after birth. Because of Sub's long half-life. I believe it USUALLY takes at least 72hrs for NAS symptoms to appear. This is probably the reason most hospitals wanna keep sub babies for a few days, to allow time for NAS to reveal itself.

I believe its mostly up to the on-call Ped. at the time of your baby's birth-hospital stay, how long your baby will hafta stay.
I think the Ped. takes your O.B's recommendations into consideration, but then the Ped. ultimately decides how long your baby will need to stay. Hopefully, if your baby shows no signs of withdrawl after a period of time.....you'll BOTH be discharged.

Like I said, I know every hospital is different. But, as far as them just taking the baby from me and bringing him directly to the NICU for monitoring......THAT WAS NOT MY EXPERIENCE. Every single Doctor, Nurse, Lactation Consultant.....were absolutely kind, caring, and accommodating. Well, that is......UNTIL, the very last day. The day we were to be discharged. A new set of nurses came on duty. And my new nurse for that day (who hadn't ever been around my son/I, and who knew NOTHING about us other than what she had read in my chart.....SUBUTEX), tried to give us a hard time.
When this happend, I just kept my head up high, remained calm, and requested that she do her NAS scoring of my son....IN MY PRESENCE.

Chaotic, you'd be surprised how........remaining calm, being respectful, and presenting yourself as a responsible parent/person can make a GIANT difference in your welfare. Lets face it, most people have low opinions of addicts anyways! And then when you add the fact that we were maintained on an opiate mediction during pregnancy.......well, you're bound to get some judgement somewhere.

Just keep doing what you're doing.....asking questions, finding answers, making plans. And PLEASE, whatever you do......try not to stress and instead enjoy the remaining weeks of your pregnancy. I wish I would've known then, what I know now, because I WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CALM MY NERVES AND REALLY ENJOY MY PREGNANCY!

Pregnancy is supposed to be/SHOULD BE, a wonderful, beautiful experience! Don't let the fact that you've included Subutex as a part of your recovery, effect how special this time in your life is!!

Lastly, in the event that your baby DOES have to remain at the hospital and be treated for NAS......ask if you can stay too (if its just gonna be for a few more days). I don't know if your insurance will cover that or not. We don't have insurance/don't qualify for Medicaid, and had to pay cash for our baby's birth. If our son would've had to stay to be treated, my doctor was willing to allow ME to stay as well.......to make bonding and brestfeeding possible.