It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started suboxone two days ago. I took 3 8mg strips each day. I still felt crappy so today which is day 3 i messed up and took heroin instead. I regret it but i needed energy today, i had alot to do. So my question is,can i start back on suboxone tomorrow morning and be ok since its already in my system? Or wasn't i taking it long enough?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Where you in full blown withdraw when you started the Suboxone? Personally, I think you will be ok. There will be some others come along later. They know more about this particular subject.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for responding. I did take your advice and started again, no problems. But i still have no energy at all! Do you know when that will change? Or if it will at all? Should i take more suboxone? I have a busy life and can't just lay around all day...thanks in advance :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I think that maybe you weren't in enough withdrawal from the heroine before you started the Suboxone and ended up with precipitated withdrawals (where the Suboxone "kicks" the heroine off the receptors). When I inducted I felt great after about 30-45 minutes. It had been about 48-50 hours since my last dose of morphine.

If you wait until you are truly in withdrawal to start the Suboxone, I believe you will do great!

Keep us posted,
Morphing

EDIT: Oops, I missed where you said you had restarted. The best thing is to just stay the course and let your body get adjusted. I can take a week or so to "level out".

Last edited by Morphing on Sat May 23, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

By the way, 3 x 8mg is a pretty high dose. It may be that you're being sedated by that much. I'm not a doctor, but you might want to see if taking a little less makes you feel better...maybe 2 x 8mg (16 total). Just a thought

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:59 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Morphing is right about the WD's. Give yourself a few days to get used to the Subs. 24mgs is quite a lot of Bupe.
1 mg of Subs is equal to 20 mgs of Methadone or Oxy. The amount you are taking would cause you to feel sleepy. You could drop 8mgs, that might help and you will be fine. Maybe try some energy shots or coffee to give you some energy. Give yourself a chance to adjust to your Suboxone(a few days)
Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Morphing,
We were posting the same thing at the same time! lol

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for responding. I forced myself out of the house and did get stuff done and I'm actually feeling better now. Not tons of energy like heroin gives me but i guess i just have to get used to being normal again. I'm thinking tomorrow will be even better then right now, and i will try a lower dose to see if that helps. Thanks again! :)

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

This may sound funny, but it seems less is better with Subsoxone until you get down to a certain amount(around 2mgs). You have to remember 8 mgs of Sub is equal to 160 mgs of Methadone and Oxys, so you are taking 480mgs of opiates. Most methadone patients don't take 160 mgs. See, you are well medicated and have some room to play with as far as dropping your dose without even noticing. But you do what you need to do and don't worry about it. You will start feeling better and better as the days go by.
Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow i didn't realize suboxone was that strong...i was up to 2 bundles a day of pretty strong stuff...do you think 3 8mg strips are stronger then 2 bundles? Regardless, I'm gonna try 2 8mg strips tomorrow morning instead, and hopefully have more energy!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just to update...day 5...i woke up feeling like crap, does that go away the longer your on subs? I took 2 8mg strips today instead of 3, so far so good! One more thing, a family member just told me that i look out of it! Never said that at all while i was on heroin! Do you think the suboxone is making me look out of it? I just can't have anyone suspecting anything...i plan to stay on subs til I'm ready to taper off and no one will ever know about this except me! Thanks in advance :)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:34 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Are you getting enough sleep? I don't know what a bundle is, would you fill me in? And yes Suboxone is very strong! I had a Fentenyl patch and sucker habit and Subs work great for me. I take around 4mgs of Sub a day now. Dr. prescribed me 20 mgs of Sub per day and I found that was way too much! Maybe you are over medicated and making you look stoned.
Just my opinion
Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:49 pm 

Hey Taran,
Its only been 5 days as you have said with one day useing. Imo, you need to keep a stable dose going. No more jumping around or useing dope.
It will take sometime to stablize even under the best conditions. Stay on a regular dose. 16mgs should be fine, your dr put you on 24mgs, ask him why next time. Maybe your tolerance to the dope you were useing had him believing you needed that much.
Stablize.. thats the key. You will feel better. And this tired feeling in the morning,i feel it to on some days. Even on the lower dose i am on. ..

Suboxone treatment is for a chronic, lifeloug medical problem. Thank god we have it. Stay busy and keep taking your med an you will start to feel well....

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It's definitely got easier everyday. Today i woke up feeling ok. I do have some cravings thru out the day, but I'm finding that to be less and less everyday too. I do agree that it is a miracle that we have suboxone, i just hope one day i can be free of everything again! I was clean for 3 years when i relapsed. I regret it, i really do! I stayed away from everyone for 3 years, until i met someone at work with pills. And then it was the whole "of ill just do it one time thing" that lead to another 2 years of using! Anyway, thank you again! This forum has helped me thru this alot! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to correct a point that was made about 8 mg of Bup being equal to 160 mg of methadone. Not sure where that was taken from but it's just not true. The overall point of Bup being stronger than many people think, is very true. However due to absorption, the ceiling effect and other reasons, Bup has a very hard time getting above a methadone equivalence of about 60 mg - at best. this is one of the main reasons it's so hard to go from methadone to Bup. It's also why precipitated withdrawl is such a problem. If Bup really was as strong as high doses of opiates we would not need to induct by going into partial withdraws first - people could just go from 160 of methadone or 480 of oxy right onto Bup. This, of corse, is not the case which is why people who try it suffer precipitated withdrawls.

hope that helps shed a little more light on the equivalency of Bup and other opiates - yes, it's stronger than many think but once it hits the celing it can get no stronger while other opiates will.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Donh, Here is the conversion website I used. http://www.medcalc.com/narcotics.html
Methadone is an agonist, not a partial. That is why you can't just switch.
Just trying to help,
Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:33 pm 

taran,

My guess is you didn't go long enough w/o the H and ended up in precipitated withdrawals. When you took the heroin after having Bupe you didn't feel it did you? If you did then for sure your receptors weren't saturated with Buprenorphine like they should be.

Once you go at least a week or two w/o any heroin your body will stabilize and you should feel just fine. I don't get how you could look stoned on Suboxone with the ceiling effect. It's probably due to you not feeling 100%. It will get better.

Happyg, great link to that calculator website. Not sure how accurate it is with Bupe being a partial agonist and all. But it does help. That explains why I didn't go through w/d's when I switched from 1 mg of Suboxone over to 10 mg's of Hydrocodone after having surgery. I had to double my dose but was truthful with my surgeon, who doesn't understand the effects of Buprenorphine and tolerance. I also didn't get a buzz or any feeling at all taking the Norco. After two weeks I switched back and felt much better.