It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: mental illness= addict?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:12 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi everyone,

I have been reading on this site for a while now but have not been posting.

After using only subs and an antidepressant for about 6 months I decided why not drop my sub dose from 8mg daily to 4mg daily. After all 4mg is about the ceiling right? Anyway, imagine my suprise, when after the drop I went into this full blown manic state and ended up in a damn mental hospital for 3 weeks. I scared the shit out of my husband and my poor sub doc was just shocked when he got a call from the mental hospital. They diagnosed me with bipolar, they think the anti depressant combined with opiate(sub) w/d caused the mania.

Now I have been diagnosed with bipolar before but I thought it was BS because I had been using some methamphetamines and that will make anyone crazy. But this latest manic thing was just scary and wierd. Because I was sober this time! lol Now I am taking the 8mg sub and some damn depakote. I hate it. I am tired all the time and depressed. In April I have an appointment with a psych doc to hopefully change up these meds. (but I want to stay on sub for sure! and my sub doc is scared to decrease the sub now ha ha!)

So I am wondering, do any of you guys have an underlying mental issue that has been diagnosed since getting "clean?" Do you think most addicted people have a mental issue that leads us to use drugs in the first place? When I got on subs in detox the doc said that only 20% of people they see truly have some underlying mental problem. I would think that number would be alot higher but I don't know. What do you all think?

PS. Thanks for this great website! You people are all so supportive of eachother and Dr J is awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:34 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Yes, about a month into my Suboxone taking my shrink ( also my Suboxone Dr ) told me I was bipolar, tried lithium, wellbutrin, Trileptel... everything tired me out big time, I HATE BIPOLAR MEDS.... I stopped taking all the meds, I'm much happier now on just Suboxone, That tired feeling you talk about made me think about ... Please dont let your DR stick you on meds you dont like, mood stabilizers suck,suck suck... Shrinks will tell you they dont make you tired, there full of sh-t...... I could not have said it better " tired all the time and depressed " Good Luck, Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have also gotten the BS bipolar diagnosis which I fought against forever until I got it changed. I know I have major depression and I accept that but I know myself and there's no way in hell I am bipolar. The doc who diagnosed me as bipolar wanted to put me on depakote and I refused it.

I would not let a doctor put me on "mood stabilizers" for any kind of drug-induced mania. You can get stuck on those drugs forever and they have horrible side effects. Please be an advocate for yourself.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome. I also have major depression and bad mood swings. I take Celexa and two mood stabilizers. I have zero side effects and those two mood stabilizers and saved my ass. So just remember what works for someone else (or doesn't work) doesn't necessarily work for someone else. (BTW, I take Abilify and Lamictal.)

But like others have said, there are some rather heavy duty mania meds out there - be careful of Seroquel. That's a real heavy hitter. Also, Bipolar is the diagnosis of the decade. Some doctors have also tried to tell me I was bipolar. My therapist of 6 years basically told me that was bullshit. My current diagnosis is Major Depression and severe PTSD...which is what other docs thought was Bipolar disorder. So like Diary said, DO ADVOCATE FOR YOURSELF. I cannot overstate this. Do your research and homework.

Many people have said how suboxone treats their bipolar or other mental illness. So maybe you do need to stay at 8 mg. Besides, it's comfortably above the ceiling and that's where you want to be at anyway. Too close to the ceiling and your receptors won't STAY saturated. They may be saturated but won't necessarily stay that way. (As I understand it the way Dr. J explains it.)

I know for me, because of past traumas, I believe I started using in an effort to avoid dealing with those past traumas. So my mental illness was in a way related to my addiction. Now that I'm on sub I'm in a clear mind and am able to deal with these things in therapy and am doing so much better.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you in finding a treatment that works for you. Sometimes is is trial and error.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:38 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i got the bi polar diagnosis twice from two diff dr's. one tried to put me on depakote and it messed me up big time, the other tried to put me on seroquel and something else which messed me up just as bad. the dr who put me on depakote decided it would help my detox process from opiates and benzos in addition to my non existent bi polar disorder. anyways i got on the depakote for a week and i felt so awful. i felt drugged up and anxious like i was living in a bubble. i hate stupid dr's.