It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Menstrual cycle change
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:33 am 
New Poster
New Poster

hello - in am on 12 mg sub strips per day, I think I'm on about week 7? I haven't gotten my period as expected (should have started last week). Anyone else had a cycle change after starting sub? My husband had a vasectomy after our youngest child was born five years ago, so unless that failed (eeeeek!) I can't think of any other reason for a missed period?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Alexis

Welcome to the forum. Several people has viewed your post but no response yet...probably not something any of the current members have experienced.

IMO, you should call your sub doc and tell him what is going on. Were you regular on the opiates? Did you have one cycle while on sub? Before calling the sub doc it may be a good idea to buy a pregnancy test so you are sure you are not pregnant :shock: If if hasn't happened in 5 years i doubt that will be the answer.

It could also be something completely unrelated to sub. I have first hand experience with that! The first week i was on sub i was in alot of pain & pretty sick. The doctor thought i was in PW's but I knew i had not taken any opiates so i could not be in PW's. We spoke every day & he adjusted my dose but i still felt awful. I started sub on a sunday & that friday i was so sick i had to stop the car on the way to work and vomit. I work in a medical building and went to the "doc in a box" place and after an exam & a few tests they told me i was passing a kidney stone! All this time i was blaming sub and my doctor was blaming me for using and it was neither :)

Hopefully it's nothing but the change in meds but you really should see your OB/GYN to make sure all is well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know of no buprenorphine side effects beyond the effects at mu and (to a lesser extent) kappa receptors-- and that would not include menstrual changes. Severe fasting or heavy exercise can disrupt menstruation... has your sleep or eating changed significantly?

Home pregnancy tests will test positive as early as a missed period-- so you might want to just check it out, to be sure.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Eeek! I would definitely get a pregnancy test, like yesterday. A girl I knew a few years ago actually got pregnant with TRIPLETS a few years after having her tubes tied. :shock: I still freak out if I'm a few days late, and it's been 8 years since my tubal.

Q

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I skipped an entire month of my cycle on sub, and that never happened to me before. I swear it was from the suboxone! Let us know!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

This has happened to me.i now have a period every 8 weeks or so since being on subs. I went my general dr and she said I was fine but I don't know doesn't seem right and I'm definitely not pregnant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Definitely do not rule out pregnancy. I know someone who just found out she is pregnant even tho her husband had been snipped for years. After she found out she was pregnant, he was adamant about getting his sperm testing (I think he was worried his wife- my friend- may have been messing around) and low and behold, he had a sperm count. It was low, but there. So it does happen!

But, it could also be stress, BMI/ fat ratio, eating habbits, etc.. that can also throw your period off. You could have ovulated really late, pushing your period back. All this stuff happens with or without suboxone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It'd be a worry if I was an expert on menstruation. But I do know that many women who use heroin regularly don't get their period at all for months at a time. I don't think it's the same for methadone and Suboxone. Oh and despite them not getting their period, apparently they can still get pregnant?

I just did a quick google and it seems theres some anecdotal reports around of people sharing your complaint.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TJ, the not getting your period on heroin is because typically you don't eat much and/ or lose a lot weight rapidly. The heroin part is not cause. It's the same for some ballerinas and gymnasts. Lack of body fat and nutrition.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That would make sense but I'm not 100% sure.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/236938
http://www.ajog.org/article/0002-9378(74)90667-X/abstract

The studies point to changes in hormones / endocrine function as being the culprite.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I guess for some people maybe that's the case. I just know that for me, and girls I knew, it was in direct relation to how much body fat we had. If it is a body fat thing, it would be ongoing and continue, not just a one time late period. Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread OP!

Any update? :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:16 am 
New Poster
New Poster

In the beginning of me starting the suboxone I too had a change in my cycle (I went about 2 months without a period) but also prior to getting on the subs I had my tubes tied so idk what caused that. But now I get EXTREMELY HEAVY cycles and idk if it's from the meds or because my tubes are tied which I had done a lil before starting the suboxone