It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Memorials
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not sure what people think of my idea-- but I think that memorials to people who have died from overdose would help this forum strike home for people who are on the fence about getting help. As I mentioned, it can be done in a tasteful way.

I have heard about a number of deaths, but I do not know the names of people. For example, I read reacently that Manitowoc, a small community in Wisconsin, has had 9 overdose deaths this summer. None of the names were released by the police.

If you know of someone who died from an overdose of opioids, please send me the name of the person. If you have a nice picture, send it-- but even without any other info, just send the name and I'll research the rest.

Also, if you know of any doctors who were disciplined or charged criminially for killing patients with narcotics, I'd like to hear that as well. IN both cases, please send me a note at drj@fdlpsych.com . Thank you very much-- I will not mention your name-- unless you ask me to..

JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think the memorial is a great idea, both to honor those who have been lost and to raise awareness about this epidemic. I just got back from a "girl's weekend" with nine other women a few years older than myself. One lost a son this year to an IV heroin overdose. Another mother lost a daughter the same way several years ago. So out of ten of us total 20% had a child die from opiate addiction, and others have children that are currently involved in drugs. To me, that's a pretty staggering statistic. I also know two others who either have or had AIDS due to needle use. And I come from a pretty clean cut "suburban" background. How can this disease be so hidden in plain sight? It still amazes me that an addict can walk into an emergency dept. and encounter docs who have never heard of Suboxone, or who are drug seeking and the doc hasn't got a clue how to handle it, other than denying drugs.
It's time to bring addiction out into the light.

Post subject: memorial
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I really don't have the names or pics but I live in a town of 3200 and 4 kids have od'd on Heroin in the past year, my son ( the one I asked for advice about) was at an apt on suboxone and one of the kids there bought heroin, I guess the dealer cut it with Rat poison because it makes them go back and buy more quicker (pardon my ignorance if I don't say this right), that 24 yr old died, no one realized he was dead until 8 hrs later, the dealer is on Jail ( I wish they would give the death penalty to drug dealers) another friend just lost one of her best friends, why doesn't anyone care, I feel like we need a crusade, I would volunteer to stand at a border and kill these people for what they are doing to our kids, sorry I am a bit emotional but it seems no one really cares, my BFF 's sister died from the drug cocktails her doc gave her to get over Heroin, another friend I grew up with left her kids and family for heroin and still spends time between Jail and the streets, it is a matter of time- ypu don' t see 'old ' Heroin addicts like you do alcoholism, they don't make it. I really hate the junk and wish I could help get it out of this country! Oh, my son told me the only reason he did not do heroin with the kid who died from the rat poisening was because he had taken a suboxone and couldn't. Also, my son beat on a mans chest and revived him when he od'd it is crazy