It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm taking 4mg of subutex and really think I need to go back on depression meds. I was wondering what medication has worked best for other people taking burp? I do take lorazapam as needed. (Very small dose of .5) been taking it on and off for years. But I think a lot of my problems come down to depression and if I was to take a depression medicine maybe I wouldn't need a benzo at all.
Just want to hear others opinions. I also just started taking metoprolol for racing heart and elevated blood pressure. But maybe it's depression and anxitey. I seriously hate taking the metoprolol.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:13 pm 

Hi Summergirl7, I don't have too much experience in this area but did want to respond so that you know you are being heard. Suboxone has actually helped me with depression I was experiencing related to menopause and the pain I have as a result of osteoarthritis. Have you always been at this amount of suboxone? Maybe talk with your doctor about a slight increase, just 1mg and see if you feel any change. It, I would think, be the easiest way to try to treat the depression. Good luck! Please keep posting and letting us know how you are doing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes- make sure you are comfortable, and not experiencing withdrawal-- as opioid withdrawal depresses mood very strongly.

I don't think there are any difference between the SSRIs in regard to taking with buprenorphine. I generally prescribe Lexapro (escitalopram) because it is very selective at the serotonin reuptake site, and therefore has very few side effects. I see little benefit from adding the norepinephrine effect, and SNRIs like Effexor, Pristiq, and Cymbalta generally have more side effects and discontinuation symptoms... so I usually recommend staying with an SSRI (Celexa, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, etc). I do not use Paxil (paroxetine) unless the patient WANTS to gain weight, and needs the sedative effect of that drug. Paxil tends to put about 10 pounds on people who take it.

Understand that SSRI's are used to treat depression, and/or anxiety. They are the first-line treatment for anxiety even in the absence of depression-- including panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, phobias, and social anxiety disorder.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think I'm at a comfortable dose. I think sometimes it may be to much. But I don't know I feel like I'm always sick but not withdrawl sick (I know what that is) and I'm thinking depression and anxitey is doing it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:14 pm 

Hi Summer, I realize in rereading my post that I may not have been clear. I agree completely with Dr. J. I too was thinking that the depression and anxiety maybe related to withdrawl. You did not say how long you have been on suboxone and at what mg did you start? Did these feelings come on after a drop? I'm sorry, I should have asked you for more details in my first response. I have also known so many people who started with opiods to mask their feelings of depression and/or anxiety. Sometimes it is a question of which came first addiction/depression. And, as I am sure you may already know, it can take alot of work to find the right anti depressant or combo of meds that work for you. You also need to give them time...sometimes 4 weeks until they are really working at a therapeutic level. Good luck! I hope you can find that healthy balance that is best for you!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I feel ya Summergirl7. I've been down all weekend. It actually started about a week ago, the seasonal depression, that is. I have depression, but only when it's cold outside. I know, crazy, right? That's what I though, but low and behold, there is such a thing, and I'm ate up with it. Seasonal depression. I was diagnosed years ago with it, and like clock work, it veers it's ugly head just as soon as the weather starts getting cool. I know it's not in my mind either because I can literally feel it leaving my body as soon as it starts warming up. I can make this happen by just laying out in the sun when Spring arrives. I was wondering, with your name Summergirl and all if you might be experiencing the same. It's very real. As far as meds for it, I used to take Celexia, But when Lexapro came out, he quickly switched me to that. Said it worked the same but with less effects on the brain? I don't know, but the Lexapro seemed to work faster to me when I took it. I don't take anything now for it except for vitamin D. Just too much trouble, but if it got bad enough, I'd definitely reconsider. I am going to play it by ear this time since it's the first time in ages that I wont be on any pain medication. Oh, I read somewhere about Wellbutrin working pretty good for people taking Suboxone. My cousin is on it and she is doing great. She is a recovering addict, but not on Suboxone so... Well, I hope you feel better soon. Bama girl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi summergirl7:

I don't know if you know this, but metropolol is a beta blocker, and beta blockers are known to have a side-effect of sometimes causing depression. I too have hypertension, and my internal medicine physician has always stayed away from the beta blockers due to my long history of having depression. I take two meds for the hypertension, both are ACE inhibitors. One is quinipril, the other is amolodipine. I also just started taking clonidine because I just started taking Myrbetriq, which made my blood pressure go up. None of these meds cause depression as a side-effect.
You might want to talk to your physician about trying another anti-hypertensive that doesn't cause depression as a side-effect. There are plenty of ACE inhibitors that are generic, that might help you. If I were you, I would try a different blood pressure med before going on an antidepressant. I say this because I believe that once on an antidepressant, they're sometimes difficult to come off of. Why add one if you can come off of the metropolol and/or raise your Subutex a bit? 4 mg. of buprenorphine is a pretty low dose. Is the lorazepam helping your anxiety? If you've been on 0.5 mg for many years, maybe an increase in that med would be helpful as well.
Hope this helps--

"Knowledge is power"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all so much for the responses. I am now only on subutex 1mg a day and .5mg of lorazapam.

I also have a script for lexapro and I know I need to take it but I can't get it out of my head that something bad is going to happen.. I have serious anxitey now when it comes to taking medication. I have taken lexapro in the past and never had any issues so I don't know why I would now. But I'm just so sick of feeling this way. I feel like crap when I take my subs and when I don't take them... so I think it's just time to come off of it all together. I've tried taking more subutex to see if may even its from not taking enough but then I just get sick. So I guess with me less is more.

But I'm going to take my first 10mg tonight. Just have to tell my self it's going to help

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:51 am 

Yes, if you are anxious about taking the medication, and only the medication can fix your anxiety, you have to force yourself to do it. And it will probably take a while so dedicate yourself to taking it for a few weeks to a month.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you amy. Is zoloft like lexapro. Due to some insurance issues my doctor (which is also my sub doctor) decided to do the sertralene instead. He is starting me off at 25 mg so i think thats pretty small but i still have these crazy fears of taking the pill.... i just wish i didnt. Im suppose to start it tonight but i cant get my self to take it.

Do you know of others on Zoloft while taking subutex.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:38 am 

Yes, I know there are some that take Zoloft with buprenorphine, but I can't exactly remember who.

Amy