It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Mediation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Has anyone here ever been through mediation for dispute resolution? I have one coming up in which I'm the complainant and agreed to try mediation for a state civil rights complaint. I was just wondering what to expect.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

dont know if you still need advice but yes i have had to go through mediation for a civil issue. my ex bounced a check to me for 700 dollars and i took him to court. they always start civil cpmplaints with mediation. basically we got to court (seperate) and then they called us into a room and asked each of us what the issue was and why the case was filed. basically it can go smoothly or it can go awful. my ex just dropped hi sside and said he would pay me, but it could have gone badly if neither of us could agree on resolution. if you cant reach a resoultion then they usually send yoy before a judge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks, bitzy, for responding. It sounds like neither one of you had lawyers with you? My case is a bit different. I filed a complaint of civil rights/disability discrimination through my state's civil rights department. The respondent asked for mediation first and I agreed to it. Now the respondent is bringing her lawyer (which is fine, she has that right). I'm pretty prepared (as much as I can be w/o being an attorney myself) and understand on paper what they say to expect, but was hoping to get a personal perspective of what kind of things might happen. I'm thinking her lawyer is going to try to intimidate me into dropping the complaint, which just simply will not happen. She broke the law and violated my civil rights and I do not plan to stand idly by to allow her to do it. I just hope I can successfully go up against her and her lawyer even though it's an informal process. If it doesn't get settled in mediation it will just continue through with a formal investigation through the state civil rights dept. Anyway, wish me luck and thanks again.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

yeah my situation was a little different then yours. i would say that your will follow the same sort of path though. i think they will sit you both down and try to work out a resolution and if they cant it will go before a judge. i would suggest that if you end up going to court then maybe you could get a lawyer to do the case on a contingency. good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey hat,

I've never been thru mediation or anything so I don't have any advice but I wanted to wish you luck.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Good luck. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the well wishes, guys. It's coming up in 3 weeks and I'm getting slightly nervous about it. I know the respondent is bringing her attorney, which is actually rare for mediation. I have a feeling they are going to try to intimidate me into dropping my complaint and if they do, well, they have another think coming. She broke the law and violated my rights and I am NOT letting this thing go. I will let you all know once it's over.

Again, thanks.