It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello. I have been reading alot here and am finding some wonderful, helpful info. However, I have yet to see something regarding what I need to know so I apologize if there are already a slew of threads. Firstly, today is my 30th clean (yes, with my history, I am amongst those who considers himself clean) and doing well. I certainly would not be without this medication so I am ex-dreamly grateful for it existing and living in a town where there are very good doctors and it is available in my pharmacy and there are tons of meetings, etc. I have been on some sort of opiate for 33 years. Starting when I was 14/15 and had spine surgery for scoliosis where was placed a solid steel Harrington rod. Whilst still in hosp revering, the rod snapped loose from my neck shattering all thee bone. It then had to be removed as ithere was nothing left to attach it to and when doing so, thee docs broke my loser spine where it was also attached. My spine was fused in both places and as crooked as before. Basical-E I ended up worse-off than before, thus beginning what would become my biggest nightmare, prescribed opiods for obvious pain. For years I continued to be prescribed them and took them as prescribed and this, to me, was just normal and, I thought, just what I needed to have to live my life. I didn't real-E know anything abt addiction, certainly not that I was addicted, until I was in my early 30's and lost insurance for a short spell. When I got real-E sick I found out! I got insurance again and went back on meds until 2005 when I final-E admitted to myself I cld no longer work and reluctantly went on disability. I started shooting heroin then and when I got Medicare, got, once again, back on meds. Was prescribed 2 80mg Oxycontin plus 1 40 mg OC and 6 Perc tens per day. I was taking 2-3 times (shooting the OC)that by 2010, plus heroin. My doc retired in 2012 and cldnt find a doc toprescribe after that so it was heroin all thee way, along w whatever else I cld get my hands on.During that time I tried Suboxone but had no intention of quitting drugs. I used it to not be sick. Final-E, I am doing Suboxone as prescribed and am managing my pain and addictio n w it. Going quite well. Now, I apologize for this being one long running paragraph! I only have net access via this crap phone and it does not allow me to type properly. Please forgive me. If still reading, I don't quite understand a couple terms I keep seeing/hearing. "Ceiling" and "bioavailability". Can someone explain them very, very simply please? Also, I am on 16 mg daily and it is helping my pain (amazingly) and I am having absolutely no cravings nor do I find myself even thinking about using. Is this normal or am I delusional and about to find out ie: start feeling bad, getting cravings, etc? Since I am only a month into this I am afraid that it might all change and stop working as it is! Thanks for bearing me and this long post w no breaks in paragraphs!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have no idea why this posted twice...stupid phone. All apologies!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:32 pm 

Hey Bent and welcome :)

I'm definitely no expert on all these terms used for suboxone but maybe I can help u until someone else can answer ur questions more detailed.

First off, suboxone has a ceiling effect. That means that after a certain amount of mg's u take, u won't get high off this medication. Most people think that ceiling is from 4-8 mg. More ppl agree it's at 4mg. After 4 mg, even if u take 20mg u won't feel any different than u did at 4. Does that make sense??

Bioavailability....not sure but this could be about the amount of suboxone u absorb by putting it under ur tongue. I've heard that u actually only absorb about 30% of the medicine.

And finally to answer ur question about will this medicine stop working after awhile and ur cravings return......answer is no. This medicine works no matter how long you've been on it. I've been on suboxone for almost 4yrs and I feel like I did when I started. It's the best and has completely saved my life. U absolutely made the best choice by starting suboxone. Good luck!!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

BentWar93,

JennJenn is correct. The bioavailability has to do with how much of the medication is actually absorbed and available to the body, and 30 % seems to be the standard amount for Buprenorphine administered sublingually. The ceiling effect is the phenomenon where after a certain amount (usually around 4 mg) additional dosages have no more effect. You reach a "maximum" or ceiling. This is beneficial, since it prevents one from getting high from bupe (you get symptom relief without feeding the addiction).

Buprenorphine remains equally effective regardless of the length of treatment, and in fact, many people find that they can reduce their dose (gradually) down to 2 mg without much impact. It is below 2 mg that you have to conduct a slow, gradual taper if you want to reduce and/or stop using bupe. One thing I will say is that the "pink cloud" or the "special feeling" of relief will eventually fade. That is, you get used to living a normal, addiction-free life, so that after a few months, you don't have that extreme joy over the fact that Suboxone freed you from addiction...you just feel normal.

Thanks,
Morphing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:21 pm 

Exactly, well explained Morphing. And I completely forgot about that pink cloud feeling. I've also heard it called "the honeymoon phase" lol. Sometimes I still feel that feeling of sheer joy when I remember how horrible my life was in active addiction. Bottom line this medicine has gave me hope when I tried everything to get my life bk. Until suboxone, I thought I'd have to live in misery forever. I could go on and on about how great it is. I hope it gives u the same hope it has me Bent!! Thanks for explaining better Morphing, I have the words in my head but don't translate it too great lol :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you both so much! Makes sense now. I am s9 thankful things are finally turning around & getting better. Good day.